Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Newbie with a 46 CJ2A

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ItsAdam1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie with a 46 CJ2A
    Posted: 16 May 2007 at 11:39pm

Hello everyone, I just found this forum about 1-2 ago I have just been reading before I made my first post with some questions.

I have a 46' CJ2A lately I have been bitten by the off road wheeling bug. I have had my jeep for at least a good 10 years. I went as far as fixing it to just drive on the ranch Right now I have not currently used it in the last 2 years it has just been sitting in the barn. My jeep is all original. But I want to upgrade it to make it more a capable rock crawler.  This is what my main goal for my jeep is

I have been reading up on that jeeps web site & its giving me allot of good info. But right now I am a bit confused. Here and my questions:

General:

So far my jeep doesn’t run but I have faith that I can get it running. It’s the original 134L as well as everything else but it’s in bad shape. I know the tub is rusty & will need some body work.  I think the frame is good with just surface rust. My dilemma right now is should I do a complete tear down and do a new drive train or keep it original and up grade as I get more into wheelin & off roading?

Engine & Drive train:

What would be the best engine for my set-up? 235 or 231 Buick V6 or a newer v6 engine; how about tranny? I would like an auto but I am not sure how it would work in such a short wheel base. Do I keep the stock transfer case or go with something newer so I can run a regular "centered" rear end? Also what would be some good axles?

Suspension:

I do want to run 35's what type of suspension lift would be good for those tires and crawling

I guess those are my questions so far. I am sorry to make my first post so long but I eager to learn about upgrading my flattie

Thanks

Adam M

46 CJ2A

96 Chevy Impala SS

04 Caddy Escalade

Bluax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2007 at 1:14am
There are many vehicles out there that are more suitable for rock crawling than an 'original' CJ.  I might suggest that you sell the flat fender to someone that would appreciate an original and with the proceeds buy something more applicable to your current, specific needs.   Then we have a win win situation and I suspect you might even come out ahead financially. 

bluax
Mountains ta climb, roads ta drive an' rivers ta paddle .... now 'Ride Bambino, Ride!'
Jared1956 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared1956 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2007 at 8:01am
I agree with Bluax. The frames on early CJ's are weak....it would need to be boxed at the very least and possibly replaced with a unit such as the ones the Matkins Extreme sells.

The original axles will not hold up to big power and big tires. In short......you will end up replacing almost every single component on the Jeep, engine, transmission, T-case, front and rear diffs, frame, radiator to cool a bigger engine, steering system....the old Ross system will not hold up to 35's for very long, etc.

Your best bet is to either sell your 2A and buy at least a YJ....they had fully boxed frames, longer leaf springs, decent steering, etc. They are also cheap due to the unpopularity of the square headlights. Look for a 91-up 4.0L version with the AX-15 trans.  Or if you have the cash.....go for the TJ. I have two of them...a 98 and an 05 and they are hard to beat.

You will be much happier in the long run if you are going to off road heavily, with a YJ or TJ.

If you are dead set on wheeling your historically significant, desireable, rare, valuable, piece of automotive history.....then I would stick with no more than a 2 inch lift and 31" tires. Put a pertronix ignition on the L-134, convert to 12 volts, add a locker to the rear axle...or upgrade to the 3A 44 rear end and add a locker to it......keep all of the parts you take off for future restoration (or give them to me Wink) and then have fun with some MILD 4 WHEELING. 
ItsAdam1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ItsAdam1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2007 at 8:25am
Thanks everyone

I have been looking for a YJ or possible a newer CJ but I am in love with the look of the old flattie. U just don't see them highly modded. U do see a allot of originals which is kool but I am not much on originality. Do my stock original parts have any value to anyone ?
Jared1956 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared1956 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2007 at 8:40am
I understand the "kool" factor of the early CJ's.....but there is a reason why you don't see them highly modified.......as I said above they will not hold up.  The frames are super weak and will twist and break in short order...I promise!!!! The entire drivetrain is weak from a hardcore off-roaders standpoint......Please believe me when I say you are going to end up with a CJ-2A body and nothing else if you go this route. The cost to look "kool" is going to be 2x or more....what it would be in a YJ. There will be hundreds of hours of yours or someone elses labor in this project.

The newer CJ's have weak steering boxes and mounts and also have weak C channel frames that break. The strong fully boxed frame started with the YJ. Look around, check JP Magazine....you don't see many CJ's of any year on the trails anymore.....most guys have decided that the "Kool" factor is not worth the $$$ factor of making a CJ perform like a later model unit.

To answer your question....sure your original parts have value. Oil bath air cleaners, seat frames, engines, you name it, one of us will pay you for it.

But the ultimate value is when those parts are attached to your Jeep.

Let me make this one last plea.......If your Jeep is still truley and original vehicle......sell it and buy and 2A that has already been modified or is not original. As you will see when you start looking....prices of modified 2A'a are much much much lower than ones that are still original.

Sell yours, find a CJ2A with no motor, trans etc, and buy it for a couple of hundred bucks and use the rest of the money you made from the sale of your Jeep to build the "Kool Body" you want. 

ItsAdam1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ItsAdam1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2007 at 8:54am
ooo i c what ur saying ok I guess with me wanting a hard core rock crawler out of my CJ2A probley the wrong saying. I do want to venture off road, (i have a 500 ac ranch with trails threw the woods and some mud holes) and I would like to hit the rocks on a here & there basis, but then again it wont be the hardest a trails. So maybe I should sell the CJ2 and use the money to buy a repo body and maybe find a CJ5 frame? or build a frame out of 2x4 steel? How about just boxing the frame?
Adam M
46 Jeep CJ2A (rockcrawler comming soon)
96 Chevy Impala SS (Show Car)
04 Caddy Escalade (Just the daily ride)
Jared1956 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared1956 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2007 at 9:06am
Check www.matkinsextreme.com for a good look at a great frame.

I have seen 2A'a on early 55--71 Jeep frames. But they are marginally better than yours, the real benefit is the provide mounting points for a later style drive train including the 225 V-6.

Automatics don't fit well in early CJ's. Thats why they weren't offered until the longer CJ-7 came out in 76. Automatics are longer than manuals and cause short, short rear driveshafts and extreme angles. They've been done, to be sure but none seem to work well....driveline vibrations etc.

If your not going hardcore rockcrawling....I still say just rebuild your factory stuff....add a small lift.....31" tires....and a few minor upgrades to your L-134 and it should be more than enough for your ranch. There are many many many early flatties out there set up just like I described that will do a fantastic job for what you are wanting. Don't discount the L-134 engine and original set up......after all it won WWII for us.

**It just wont hold up to X-treme wheeling**
Bluax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2007 at 11:21am
......... any chance that you have a keyed coil stuck under your dash?

blu
Mountains ta climb, roads ta drive an' rivers ta paddle .... now 'Ride Bambino, Ride!'
ItsAdam1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ItsAdam1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2007 at 8:43pm
Originally posted by Bluax Bluax wrote:

......... any chance that you have a keyed coil stuck under your dash?

blu

no sorry it was converted to 12 volts long ago.

Edited by ItsAdam1 - 17 May 2007 at 8:45pm
Adam M
46 Jeep CJ2A (rockcrawler comming soon)
96 Chevy Impala SS (Show Car)
04 Caddy Escalade (Just the daily ride)
Rob H. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2007 at 5:56am
Adam if you're not gonna go full tilt rock crawler, for just basic off roading, my 2a does great with 31's. I'm not gonna say you won't break anything, that always happens to some extent, but they will go about anywhere in stock form. I use mine around the farm here and travel through the woods on logging roads and even atv trails (2a's ain't much wider than a large atv) LOL. I do have a D44 from a 3a I'm gonna rebuild and put a locker in some time in the future, but I've rarely needed the locker with a little thought and picking a good line the 2a goes pretty good.

Rob H.

1948 CJ2A
bits and pieces of three 3A's
1967-72 Chevy C/10 kinda combined them LOL

westforkboyd View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westforkboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2007 at 7:51am
Adam1, welcome to the best site on the net!

You can probably tell by now we're very protective of our little friends. I'll second the sentiment on keeping your 2A as original as you can and still accomplish what you want. It is your choice after all. I use mine on my little farm every day. It's been kept in pretty much stock/original and can go and do about anyplace/anything I want.
I agree with Rob on versitility. Part of the advantage of these little Willys is the small size as Robh says they are not much bigger than a large ATV, I'll run mine on any trail the ATV's run on. I had 31's on mine but they rubbed on the frame so I went with 235's. I like the looks but they get messy in the mud, stick out just enough to produce a pretty good spray over everything. Wish I would have stayed with just 215's or maybe just the NDT's. You'll be amazed at how usefull these will be around your ranch. It gets much more use than my tractors now.
I'd recommend getting it running and use it for a while before you make any decisions about modifications. You might be suprised at how your thinking changes.

Good luck and have fun with it!!
WFB
'48 CJ-2A #184135 Lefty
'49 CJ-2A #219719 Mule
'39 Ford 9N
'55 Oliver Super 55 Ollybelle
 Post Reply Post Reply