Forum Home Forum Home > The CJ2A Parts Project > Parts List > Transmission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Column shift remote control #2

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Column shift remote control #2
    Posted: 09 June 2007 at 1:57pm
I've got a question. I've got three different examples of the end pin on the shifter bracket. one looks like a pounded rivot, one has a cross pattern, (kinda like a phillips but not really) and one was welded........Which is it?

CJ2A #10021 #34692 #58500

samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2007 at 9:13pm
Gary,

The first of the three matches 15292 - dimpled pin of some sort, I think,  neat and not irregular at all.

Edit:  As I relook at your picture, I believe that the rod was turned with a shoulder that allowed the smaller diameter end to project slightly through that upper bracket.  The piece was probably heated and peened as a rivet would be, but in a way that left a very neat appearance.

Edited by samcj2a - 10 June 2007 at 9:18pm
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2007 at 9:51pm
thx gary!!!  this thread will help us tremendously!!!!!   low
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2007 at 11:00am
Gary:

Your first photo is factory.  Installed as Sam suggests.

2nd & 3rd photos are probably field repairs.  These pins have often come loose from the bracket (probably by a pissed-off PO slamming the gearshift around trying to keep it in second gear! Angry).

My own had been drilled for a cotter-pin to keep it in place:

http://www.cj-2a.com/oldsite/shifter/asm/index.html

http://www.cj-2a.com/oldsite/shifter/partsdraw/csgp/index.html

Sean

Edited by sean - 02 June 2010 at 6:41pm
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2007 at 11:28am
I chuckled, of course, at Sean's notion of why these parts needed repair frequently.  I'm one for three in 2As with respect to their staying in second gear.    From the time of my first C/S I have regarded all of the column shift linkage components as poorly engineered - in sophisticated mechanical engineering terms, "rinky dink".  It's easy to understand why Willys went back to the cane shift.
Sam

Doug View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2007 at 8:53am
Just wanted to add to this, Recently took a close look at a 49 WO pickup. The Phillips screw looking impression in the second pick is what I saw. Looked 100% factory to me.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out,
shouting "...holy cow, what a ride!"
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2007 at 9:37am
A little speculation here - looking at Gary's second picture and seeing Doug's observation, I also notice that the bracket on the second picture seems to have more shrply defined corners as it comes off the column.  The first and third show brackets with more rounded corners right off the column.  It makes me think that the 2A C/S brackets and "pins" were slightly different than the reimplementation of the C/S on later vehicles.  If so, that would make Gary's second picture a column from other than a 2A.  Is that possible or likely, Gary?  And, Gary, does the column in the second picture actually have a sharper corner on the bracket than the other two, or am I just not seeing whatever is in the shadow?  Also, Doug, does the pickup bracket have the sharper corners on the bracket as it comes off the column?

Edited by samcj2a - 22 June 2007 at 9:40am
Sam

Doug View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2007 at 10:43am
Sam, Like a fool, I didn't have my camera handy.

All I can say is that something about it seemed different than the 2a column. I'd be curious to know if there's a difference in overall length of the steering column from one to the next.

Pondered the thoughts of Gary's second column being from something other than a 2a...but without more info it is just speculation. I'm guessing he's going to scrutinize it now and let us now what he thinks.
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out,
shouting "...holy cow, what a ride!"
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2007 at 12:07pm
I believe the columns in utility trucks were longer (station wagons, panels, pickups & jeepsters).

DJ3A column was the same length, but used a different clutch housing, so might have had a different pin attachment too.

Sean

Edited by sean - 23 June 2007 at 12:58pm
GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2007 at 12:40pm
Ok, here is what I know for sure.
The black column (one with the weld) I got from Jim at Northstar. It was from either a truck or a wagon as it was longer than the 2a..I just cut it down and drilled a new hole for the pin and installed the column shift assembly from #34692. It has slightly sharper corners than the fisrt pic but not near as sharp as the (philips) one.
 The one with the cross (philips) came from a guy in ND it came off Jeep #18xxx. The column shift assembly looks like it may have cracked an ear off the housing and was brazed to the column (no way to service this unit)
 This brought me to purchase the one in the first pic, history unknown hence the original question.
CJ2A #10021 #34692 #58500

daddyo4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daddyo4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2016 at 2:27am
#13480 has the more rounded corners and the "perfect" rivet on the end of the pin. I am 99% sure this is original. #18711 has the rounded corners also, but the end of the pin has been drilled and tapped, so as to secure with a screw. This may be an attempted field repair, as the selector shaft has had some weld work done to it. I could swear I had a "phillips" style like the 2nd pic... it'll turn up sometime.
'46 #13480
 Post Reply Post Reply