Forum Home Forum Home > Buying, Selling or Trading > Wanted to Buy
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

air filter hose

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote josh912 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: air filter hose
    Posted: 14 Feb. 2008 at 4:27am
i need the air filter hose that goes from the carb to the air filter for a 1948 cj2a. 
Jus*Jack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jus*Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb. 2008 at 6:45pm
Josh....there are TWO hoses, to be "correct". Were you aware of that? There's a short one (about 2" long) that goes from the air horn on the carb to the cross-over tube (the metal tube that is supported by being bolted down to the cylinder head), and then another rubber hose, about 8" long (just estimates on my part) that goes from the cross-over tube to the air filter housing.

Here's a couple of shots of a "correct" install from a VEC '46....

I recently bought new ones from Walck's, but other vendors also have theme. The longer hose that I received is not "correct" in appearance, but the short one is. There are also old-style hose clamps available from the same vendors, if you want to go that route.

Seeya!

<Jack>

'48 CJ2A 197207 "Junebug"

'48 CJ2A 191237 "Turquoise"
josh912 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote josh912 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb. 2008 at 10:50pm
hey thanks man i didnt know about the second smaller one what is its purpose and i must say if i can get my engine compartment to look anywhere close to yours i will be in good shape!
Jus*Jack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jus*Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2008 at 12:38am
Hehehe...if only...that WERE _my_ engine compartment! <g> That's one that came up a few months ago on eBay, I believe. It was a complete restoration, and I kept those pics so that I'd know what to shoot for! <g>

As for purpose, I guess it was intended to seal that "slip-fit" of the air horn over the cross-over. They seem to fit together pretty well without it, but maybe they leaked dust into the carb? I don't really know, and that's just speculation on my part. (BTW...that "air horn" don't honk! <g>)
Seeya!

<Jack>

samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2008 at 1:46am
I'm know that Jack and others know this, but for the sake of any future lurkers, not everything visible in that engine compartment is correct.  One significant example is that the single upper and lower radiator hoses each should be two short hoses joined by a metal tube. Also, the modern hose clamps in the photo were not in use during CJ-2A production. And, I just noticed that the round rod from the cowl to the radiator is incorrectly painted body color.  This would have been black.
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2008 at 2:02am
and it is missing the rubber seal between the air ram and the carb itself :) still a VERY nicely done 2A :)
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

Jus*Jack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jus*Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2008 at 3:55pm
Sam and Low...you're both right about it NOT being quite "correct" in those other areas. I just "grabbed" a couple of shots that conveyed what I was wanting to point out regarding the "air filter hose", and since that was a pretty nicely-done example, I posted 'em. (And did NOT notice the missing piece between the horn and the carb throat, Low! <g>)
Seeya!

<Jack>

Post Reply Post Reply