Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Toronto needs your help guys!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote contact148 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Toronto needs your help guys!
    Posted: 27 May 2008 at 12:27pm
(not sure if right place but here goes)

http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/431123

Quote:
Miller seeks to ban guns with bylaw
Email story
Print
Choose text size
Report typo or correction
License this article

May 26, 2008 05:04 PM
John spears
City Hall Bureau

Mayor David Miller wants guns out of Toronto — and he's backing a tough new bylaw that would ban the manufacture and warehousing of guns in the city.

And while Miller says handguns are the particular target of the proposed bylaw, a staff report doesn't distinguish between handguns and rifles and shotguns used in hunting.

The bylaw, proposed in a staff report, would give the city zoning powers to restrict or ban the manufacture and warehousing of firearms.

Miller said he wants to add ammunition to the bylaw as well.

And he had strong words about gun ownership, referring to the recent shooting of John O'Keefe, who was killed on Yonge St. by a stray bullet fired from a legally owned handgun.

"After John O'Keefe's tragic killing, I don't think there's any defence for sports shooters any more," Miller said.

"It's a hobby that creates danger to others. Guns are stolen routinely from so-called legal owners. It's time that we got those guns out of Toronto."

Miller said the focus is especially on handguns.

"It's handguns that are so easily accessible to criminals, and it's handguns that so often kill people on the streets on Toronto," he said.

"It's about a value. Do we as a society value safety, or do we value a hobby that creates danger? And nobody can deny that that hobby directly results in people being shot and killed on the streets of our city. Those are the facts. And they're provable again and again and again."

A report from city staff urges the city to end leases with two gun clubs that have rifle ranges in city facilities.

The proposed bylaw would ban all firearms from being discharged in the city, except by police or the military.

Pleas guys DO NOT visit Toronto, Please email and let them know you wont spend $$ here EVER

email list here www.torontothebad.com
lockdowns View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lockdowns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2008 at 1:52am
No more Molsons and back bacon for me!AngryWink
Hey, what's this do?
Lomar15 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lomar15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2008 at 7:16am
I've been to Toronto, couldn't wait to leave!
46 CJ2A #48777
42 MB Slat Grill 119898 Frame
51 M38 Body
42 MB #155950
Spen Trailer

http://picasaweb.google.com/lomar15CJ2A
contact148 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote contact148 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2008 at 3:18am
well help me out here and tell them you were going to come this summer BUT due to this idea of mayor millers  your going to travel elsewhere

If you dont own guns please point that out!

this is going to happen tuesday   Im looking for support to sway some votes (I hope)

I live just outside T.O but if this passes it WILL spread

Miller is getting many U.S mayors on board as well so it could be comming to a city near you!
lockdowns View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lockdowns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2008 at 3:49am
I'm gonna tell 'em I was gonna go, but I want to get shot in the good ol' USA!Approve Maybe Washington Heights or the Bronx maybe....Dead What the heck! I'll bang something out to help the brothers in the apartment above US!Hug Get it? US? Sometimes I just crack myself up!LOL
Hey, what's this do?
GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2008 at 3:54am

I have a strong opinion here..I've been grappling with how to respond. This IS a fundumental issue that should lift everyones eyebrow. We have been trying are hardest to keep out anything that smells of POLITICS, RELIGION and politics and religion... Some things need to be fought for, yours is one of them. I'm not a citizen of your country so I don't have a say (other than I ain't agoing to Ontario). I wish you and all your fellow Canadians will do the right thing. Good Luck

Gary

CJ2A #10021 #34692 #58500

lockdowns View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lockdowns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2008 at 4:08am
I sound as if I'm making light of this and I shouldn't be. Canada has their own laws and civil rights issues. We have our own idiots here in the United States who want to cut our balls off and hand them to the crack heads!Angry One paticular moron is my own Mayor Bloomberg of NYC. He lives in the la-la land where if you take away the guns from everyone the bad man will go away. ASSHOLE!!!! Sorry!Embarrassed I love Canada and I'll help if I can, but you have to remember we have our own schmucks to deal with.Evil%20Smile
Hey, what's this do?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote contact148 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2008 at 2:20pm
well guys this is what toronto  city council thinks of you americans

http://www.thestar.com/comment/article/433810

Guns aren't welcome in Toronto
TheStar.com - comment - Guns aren't welcome in Toronto

May 30, 2008
Re:Targeting the good guys

Letters, May 29

It is interesting to note that letters criticizing Toronto City Council for closing down city-run shooting ranges were sent from Mississauga, Halifax, Wellesley, Ont., Pickering and Peterborough.

I supported shutting down the shooting ranges because I believe it is hypocritical for city council to call for a total ban on handguns, while supporting and in fact subsidizing gun culture at city-run facilities – especially when recreation programs to keep kids away from the draw of a street culture that too often includes weapons are underfunded in Toronto.

Letters from outside the city and indeed from across North America have been trickling in since council made its decision. My favourite letters are the ones being sent from the U.S. Gun owners there are now urging a boycott of Toronto. Considering that most of the problems with guns on our streets emanate from south of the border, I couldn't be happier.

If all it took was closing a couple of shooting ranges to stop gun-toting Yanks from coming to our city, maybe we should have shut the doors on these clubs years ago.

As for people outside Toronto, you are free to shoot off your mouths in this city or any other town. Just don't shoot off a gun in Toronto.

Adam Vaughan, City Councillor, Toronto
lockdowns View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lockdowns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2008 at 11:37pm
Are there a lot of "Gun toting Yanks" going to Toronto? I didn't know there was anything worth stealing!Confused 
Hey, what's this do?
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2008 at 12:03am

guns don't kill people, people kill people.......

maybe the mayor would have a different outlook if it was a family member of his being carjacked on a busy downtown street....

i support concealed carry, and AM a licensed carrier....hop in my car unannounced, or enter my home through a locked door...

you will get a quick view of the jury before you stand before your maker....

outlaw guns, then ONLY the outlaws will have guns.....

low
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

lockdowns View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lockdowns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2008 at 12:18am
See thats the funniest thing about this. Here we have this smug little roach preaching to his serfs, how they should live in peace without guns!Angry Meanwhile he has a poo load of RCMP covering his sorry excuse for a backside. Sounds like he was the towel boy for his high schools hockey team. Sounds tough, but'll lube up for his protection!Wink His way never works and people will die.Dead But we keep on electing them.... Why?Confused
Hey, what's this do?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote contact148 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2008 at 1:24am

lowenuf

I cant get a CCW in Canada that WONT issiue them

BUT I have a valid CCW permit for utah   and new hampshire  funny eh?  your goverment trusts me enough after takeing my prints and pic

but my own does not.......

here in Ontario god help you if you shot someone trying to kill you  YOU would go to jail longer then them  were supposed to wait for the cops to help us

12+ years of liberial brainwashing

Guys do me a favour and email toronto city council  tell them you WONT ever vist toronto due to this stance
del clear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote del clear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2008 at 1:04pm
Well--I think Gary was being overlysubtle--is this the place for people with drastic differences in politics, religion, social issues, whose sole commonality is their common bond of interest in, and even devotion to, jeeps to use that common bond to express, expand upon, or otherwise promote their personal preferences?  I think not because all it does is erode the common bond that we have because we will NEVER be in agreement about these broader issues. 

That said, I also think that freedom of expression should be nurtured no matter how uncomfortable it makes me, so I do not chastise thee!  I only hope that our individual senses of propriety and respect for the narrow, and possily fragile, bond of commonality among us will lead each of us to avoid airing  issues such as this on this site.  Goodness there's lots of places on the internet where these kinds of things can be aired.  Give us a link to XXX@YYY where topic BZZZ is being aired--"in case you are interested", and let it go at that.

Anyone want to know IMHO on this topic can PM me, but then, you'd probably never speak to me again, even about jeep things, so let's lighten up.

[the devil made me do it]

lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2008 at 2:18pm

Wink

45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote contact148 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2008 at 2:37pm
agreed

Kill this thread if you feel it the right thing to do
lockdowns View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lockdowns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2008 at 2:48pm
This is called the general discussion area for a reason. This section is devoted to non-Jeep related issues. I am always interested in opposing or different views. Thru knowledge we grow. My interest is not restricted only to Jeeps, but to people in general. For instance, I would like to meet this councelman from Toronto and here his views. His logic eludes me and that makes me curious about him. I'm not trying to push my point of view into anyones face, but I think I should be allowed to express it! 
Hey, what's this do?
Sharky642 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharky642 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2017 at 2:53pm
Please.... If this is an issue, I implore you not come to Toronto. Don't bring your guns to Canada. By far most Canadians prefer to keep Canada gun free. If a Canadian has one, we expect it to be registered, locked up when not at a gun club, only used when going out hunting. If we want to shoot guns, we go to the US or join the army. We don't use guns for protection here, as a matter of fact we can't use guns for protection because if I shoot someone, I get charged with attempt or 2nd degree murder. So, they are bad news if you think that you are safer with a gun.
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2017 at 3:31pm
so, not for nothing... and beyond the thread topic... but you joined a forum about flat fendered jeeps to comment about a 9 y.o. off topic thread?

troll much?
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>