Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

pertronix ignition

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys54wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: pertronix ignition
    Posted: 04 Aug. 2008 at 5:33pm
I have finaly decided to try the pertronix ignition and there is an ad at the willys tech site that some of you might be interested in.  

Looks like the igniter II series solves a potential damage problem if you leave the ignition on.   Most of the reviews on this site seem to like them.   Went through one set of points on my cj after just a few hours, cost of points and condensers seem to be going higher and I am not sure about the quality any more.   Anyway, maybe a good place to spend my govt stimulus check, (already have my guns and ammo)

Now that some time has gone by, are there still good thoughts aobut the pertronix?

Steve

monte View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2008 at 6:19pm
Check this out...I put it on mine and am really pleased...

When you get to the site scroll down to the second item "A wolf in sheeps clothin"
It has all the appearance of stock and all the technology of "state of the art" electronics.
"Stump Jumper" Colorado ex-patriot...
"If it don't leak it aint a Jeep"
Lemield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2008 at 6:43pm
I've got one on my 49 and it is great! Starts easier and runs really nice. I recommend it.
Larry

1949 CJ2A "Little Stinky Green" Kubota Diesel Powered
1970 Chevy C20 454 "Big Red"
1971 Chevy K20 6.2 Diesel "Pumpkin Wagon"
2001 Mercedes CLK320
2003 Cadillac Seville
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2008 at 6:50pm
These are all 12 volt right?

What about 6 volt?
monte View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2008 at 6:52pm
Larry...Where in Arvada are you located? I used to live in Westminster and did a lot of serious Jeeping from there.

I lived around 84th and Rutgers.
Lemield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2008 at 6:53pm

Mine is 12 volt. Pertronix used to make a 6 volt setup...I think they still do. Try a google search on Pertronix and you should find some info.

Larry

2001 Mercedes CLK320
2003 Cadillac Seville
Lemield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2008 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by monte monte wrote:

Larry...Where in Arvada are you located? I used to live in Westminster and did a lot of serious Jeeping from there.

I lived around 84th and Rutgers.

Hi Monte,

I'm about 64th and Sheridan.

A funny little part of Arvada...Adams county. :)
Larry

2001 Mercedes CLK320
2003 Cadillac Seville
monte View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2008 at 6:55pm
contact Russ at Vintage Jeep and ask him about a 6 volt version...I wouldn't think it would care about the voltage myself (as long as the coil were correct)But I don't know that as a fact so check with em and let us know what you find out.

I know one thing...the engine never makes one full revolution and it is started...sure saves the wear and tear on the starter.
monte View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2008 at 6:58pm
A very good friend of mine lives at 64th and Tennyson (between Lowel and Sheridan) In fact I'll be there sometime around the 20th of this  month to visit him.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2008 at 7:07pm
Vintage jeeps does not have a solution.

Pertronix has the ignitor available in 6 volt part#2541N6 for $117.60
What is the difference in the ignitor and the ignitorII?
maesjeroen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maesjeroen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2008 at 8:33am
Do it, in my GPW i build one and ignition stays always perfect and timed.

Jeroen
GPW 71336 1942
http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/showgallery.php?cat=1013

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maesjeroen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2008 at 8:36am

you do not need ignitor II, it gives more performance on higher rpm levels, of course  not for a jeep with max 4000 rpm !

Jeroen

btw. My father fixed one ( ignitor I )  inside his M38 ( mil CJ3a) distrubutor on 24 volt, and it still works for 3 years !
GPW 71336 1942
willys54wagon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys54wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2008 at 8:37pm

There was some discussion that the ignitor will be destoryed if you leave the iginition on.  Might have been only one or two comments but evidently it did happen.  If any one has direct knowledge, would apprciate it.

The igniter II solves this problem but cost about $25 more.?  
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2008 at 8:50pm
Ignitor II is not available in 6 volt from what I have seen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maesjeroen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2008 at 6:51am
Always remove the key from the ignitionswitch when the engine is down, and hang it s'omwhere one something'.  The safe way to get no ingition on when there is no need for it.  We once let the ignition on for one hour and there was no damage, only a very warm coil.
GPW 71336 1942

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys54wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug. 2008 at 6:18pm
Ignitor II is not available in 6 volt from what I have seen
-----
It is not available in the 12 volts either for the willys line the way it looks.
pcastelli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pcastelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep. 2008 at 5:54pm
Hello,

I bought a Pertronix Ignitor #2541 for a IAD-4008 distributor and a Flame Thrower coil epoxy #40611 (3,0 ohm). I do not know if it is the correct coil but…. it's bought.

My question is: which optimum spark plugs and wire set to use in this system (12V)? Question

Thanks in advance.

Pedro, from Brazil

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys54wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep. 2008 at 7:12pm
I have not read of needing new wires or different spark plugs.  There was a reference to increasing the gap of the plug, don't remember how much.   Maybe somone knows the answer here.  Might be at the pertronix site.

But while researching for that I did find the following.   I have the 6 volt resistor on mine and was wondering what to do with it:

" First of all an electronic ignition system either works or it doesn't work period. I know from first hand experience. Secondly, you remove the resistor that  is needed for the points system. The EI takes the full voltage. So if you  are in the middle of nowhere and the EI acts up at all you are STOPPED.  Then you have two choices, a spare EI or you drop in the old point system  and reconnect the resistor so as to not fry the points."
Steve
Ames, IA
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>