Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FRONT AXLE U-JOINT PART NUMBER?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasonbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FRONT AXLE U-JOINT PART NUMBER?
    Posted: 14 Feb. 2019 at 8:11pm
in the process of rebuilding my front axle the driver side axle shaft has a u-joint in it the other side doesn't.
 im having a hard time finding the right size of the u-joint on the driver side.. does anyone have a parts store part number ?? ive googled this and no info found other then website part numbers that dont cross

ive spent in hour in the store opening boxes in the back trying to eye it and no luck..  
You have only to believe if you wish to achieve. That rhymed. Unintentional - Rod Kimble

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb. 2019 at 8:24pm
I got this part number from Walcks site.  909476

Put that into the napa site and got this part number. NPJ P365

I don't guarantee they are correct, but it's a start.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
jasonbass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasonbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb. 2019 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

I got this part number from Walcks site.  909476

Put that into the napa site and got this part number. NPJ P365

I don't guarantee they are correct, but it's a start.

365 is too big, cant get the snap rings onto it if it was installed. 

that was the first one i tried.  
You have only to believe if you wish to achieve. That rhymed. Unintentional - Rod Kimble

flatfender47 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatfender47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb. 2019 at 9:41pm
Spicer 5260 X ?
1947 CJ2A 225V6 SM420 D30 PLok/D44 D/Locker Warn OD 5:38s
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb. 2019 at 10:01pm
The original Spicer part number was 5-74X. This is from the original Spicer Bill of Materials for Model 25 Dana-Spicer axles.

5-74X has been superceded by 5-260X. 5-260X is identical in all respects to the 5-74X except that it is used in later model open knuckle design axles. To use the 5-260X in a closed knuckle design axle just remove the seals from the u-joint cross. This allows the oil in the knuckle to circulate in the needle bearings inside the u-joint.

Sometimes while removing a u-joint from an axle shaft the yoke will get sprung slightly. When installing the new u-joint, the sprung axle will make it appear that the new u-joint won't quite fit. If this happens a gentle rap with a hammer on the side of the yoke that already has the snap ring installed will bring the other side into the correct alignment so that the other snap ring can then be installed. You need to make sure when installing any u-joint that a needle bearing does't lay down in the bottom of the cap. It is best to pack a little light grease (#1 or #2 EP grease)in each cap before each is installed in the yoke so that the needle bearings will remain in place during installation.

Personally, I recommend only genuine Dana-Spicer u-joints because they have smaller needle bearings in the joint cap. this allows more needle bearings inside the cap. That gives a better load performance because there is more bearing surface applied the the joint cross trunions and allows the trunion diameter to be larger.

If you don't plan to use Dana-Spicer u-joints as a replacement, any competent parts store counter-person should be able to interchange the Spicer part number to their brand of u-joint.

Edited by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A - 16 Feb. 2019 at 4:41pm
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

jasonbass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasonbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2019 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A wrote:

The original Spicer part number was 5-74X. This is from the original Spicer Bill of Materials for Model 25 Dana-Spicer axles.

5-74X has been superceded by 5-260X. 5-260X is identical in all respects to the 5-74X except that it is used in later model open knuckle design axles. To use the 5-260X in a closed knuckle design axle just remove the seals from the u-joint cross. This allows the oil in the knuckle to circulate in the needle bearings inside the u-joint.

Sometimes while removing a u-joint from an axle shaft the yoke will get sprung slightly. When installing the new u-joint, the sprung axle will make it appear that the new u-joint won't quite fit. If this happens a gentle rap with a hammer on the side of the yoke that already has the snap ring installed will bring the other side into the correct alignment so that the other snap ring can then be installed. You need to make sure when installing any u-joint that a needle bearing does't lay down in the bottom of the cap. It is best to pack a little light grease (#1 or #2 EP grease)in each cap before each is installed in the yoke so that the needle bearings will remain in place during installation.

Personally, I recommend only genuine Dana-Spicer u-joints because they have smaller needle bearings in the joint cap. this allows more needle bearings inside the cap. That gives a better load performance because the is more bearing surface applied the the joint cross trunions and allows the trunion diameter to be larger.

If you don't plan to use Dana-Spicer u-joints as a replacement, any competent parts store counter-person should be able to interchange the Spicer part number to their brand of u-joint.

thank you for this knowledge! with this taken into consideration I've found a joint that works it was a moog brand. 
my local parts store (bumper to bumper) ordered me 6 different joints to find one that fit. 

SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2019 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by jasonbass jasonbass wrote:

Originally posted by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A wrote:

Personally, I recommend only genuine Dana-Spicer u-joints because they have smaller needle bearings in the joint cap. this allows more needle bearings inside the cap. That gives a better load performance because the is more bearing surface applied the the joint cross trunions and allows the trunion diameter to be larger.

thank you for this knowledge! with this taken into consideration I've found a joint that works it was a moog brand. 
my local parts store (bumper to bumper) ordered me 6 different joints to find one that fit. 

The problem with most auto parts stores is that when they converted to computer catalogs they didn't save the old paper catalogs. The computer catalogs only covered later model cars and trucks, say from 1970 or so on up to the very latest models. This is because most models earlier than the 70's have long since been hauled to the salvage yards and have been recycled into other uses of steel, etc.

Old paper catalogs had parts number interchanges, size listings, and sometimes even illustrations or pictures to hekp sort out the complexities of parts identification. Computer cataloging doesn't always include these niceties. This is why Bumper to Bumper and other brands of stores have to order several part numbers at time in order to find a part that fits.

Specialty parts houses will always know what part fits what. Places like Walck's, Kaiser-Willys, Ron Fitzpatrick, and others are probably the best places to shop for obscure jeep parts.

Edited by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A - 16 Feb. 2019 at 5:05pm
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2019 at 1:22am
I have been told that the Moog 365 ujoint is a direct replacement for it. 

Here is the post look at the last few posts;

part info here, avail at most local auto parts stores

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

Post Reply Post Reply