Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Front Prop Shaft

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Front Prop Shaft
    Posted: 19 Jan. 2018 at 9:54pm
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2018 at 9:59pm
Trying to chase down an irritating noise as I decelerate to a stop, removed the front drive shaft and noted the splines were really loose. Looked for a replacement. They are really expensive (like $450). Found a used one from Daryl Bensinger in Churchtown, PA. Picked it up today. Looks very nice. Tight. New U-joints. He tells me it is from an M38 with the screw grease retainer. At any rate, it seems a good shot at getting a reasonably priced replacement shaft. At $100 I am a happy jeeper.
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2018 at 10:42pm
I can't tell if it is just me, but the driveshaft in the picture looks out of phase. It appears to be one spline off from being in proper phase. I could be wrong.

If it is in phase, then the yoke eyes where the snap rings are on both ends should point in the same direction.

If it isn't doing this then the slip yoke needs to come off and reinstalled so that the snap ring eyes are facing the same direction. Sometimes their are reference arrows on the slip yoke and the driveshaft tubing that would be correct for orientation.

46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2018 at 10:50pm
Just looked at it. Sticky with some black engine paint I just put on but it looks dead on "in person".
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2018 at 11:16pm
From my experience, you've just solved your vibration during deceleration.
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2018 at 11:35pm
Sure hope so. But, with the front shaft off I still got the vibration. Was less going in reverse and then slowing to a stop. Don't know why but .... It is driving me nuts. (small drive, I know).
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2018 at 4:57am
Must just be the way I'm looking at your picture.

Perhaps it is the back driveshaft causing a problem. One cause might be one of the u-joints is bound up from a lack of grease and rusted shut. This will cause a problem as the driveshaft turns. It would be most noticeable at slower speeds.

One way to check to see if the rear shaft is a problem would be to take it out and drive on your new front shaft...VERY CAREFULLY... and see if the vibration goes away. Just a suggestion...but you certainly don't want to do any power moves on just the front axle drive.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2018 at 3:19pm
Drive shafts can be resplined and a new yoke added with parts from Spicer.
BOULDER 48 2A
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2018 at 11:14pm
Thought I'd update this for anyone with similar problems. The "new" front drive shaft is good but the vibration/noise still continued. Finally nailed it down to the parking brake on my new Tera T/Case. Backed off the break shoe tightener and the problem went away. Either the drum was out of round or the shoes were out of true. Brake still works so I won't push turning the drum (or installing the drum from the original small hole D18).
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb. 2018 at 3:19am
When working on my rebuild I took my drive shafts to a professional driveshaft shop. They found that one needed repair (balance) and the other needed to be replaced. I thought that the little money they wanted was well spent.

Edited by Mike S - 11 Feb. 2018 at 3:23am
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
 Post Reply Post Reply