Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Front Turn Signal Lights on CJ2A

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodfrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Front Turn Signal Lights on CJ2A
    Posted: 06 Nov. 2017 at 4:26am
I'm nearly finished installing a Walcks wiring harness on my CJ2A.  I decided NOT to convert the front parking lights to turn signals thus retaining the stock lights in the grill.  Instead I want to mount separate turn signal lights.

For those who have also chosen to go this route, what lights did you use and where are they mounted?
Rodney Frey
48 CJ2A
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2017 at 10:58am
I'm debating the same. 

Not the best picture - but I took existing holes in the bumper and enlarged them to 3/4. Then I plugged a 3/4 LED light in there with a rubber grommet. These things are pretty bright. But if needed, I may sink another one right next to it. So two lights per side would act as turn signals. We'll see how they look when i put some power to them. 

46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov. 2017 at 1:36am
I'm using an M38 grill, I'm just going to find some generic 3 wire motorcycle lights that I like and fit in the hole.
squidtone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote squidtone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov. 2017 at 3:03am
rodfrey,
It is possible to still use your original single filament parking lamps as parking lamps, AND as signals with the same single filament bulb...no mods to grille, sockets, or bulbs.
A modern 900 series signal stat (at least the ones I've seen) can be modified to let the single filament fronts work as parking lamps and signals, just like the 800 series signal stats did decades ago.
Basically the guts have provisions for allowing this, but the contacts are missing, and a contact strip must be segmented (cut). The missing contacts are on the left in this image (and I've already put started to put in my homemade contacts)

To fit new "contacts", I drilled holes in the strip on the other side, filed down the heads of some brass m2.5 screws, and installed them with nuts along with solder lugs. The I cut the strip on the other side into three discrete circuits.

Now wire your parking lamp source (from the light switch) to the center strip, and wire the outside strips to your parking lamps. When the signal stat is not being used, the parking lamp juice goes through to both outer strips and the parking lamps work normally (if your parking lamp light switch is off, of course the parking lamps are also off). When the signal stat is switched, the mechanical switch interrupts either left or right parking lamp circuit, and makes contact with the flasher source (blinker), and directs the flasher source to the side you selected. The side not selected will work normally (parking lamps on if you have 'em on, off if you have 'em off).

So, to be sure, there is some custom work here, and some wiring, but it's slick, and works perfectly, and no cutting of the grille socket area.
Dave
 Post Reply Post Reply