Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

fuel gauge grounding

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jscheiner.09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: fuel gauge grounding
    Posted: 25 Apr. 2017 at 9:09pm
Having trouble grounding my fuel gauge. Removed it from the dash and can touch the bracket to a groud and it works correctly. Each time I put it in the dash I can't get a good ground.

I sanded blasted the bracket, and hand sanded the gauge housing.
I also sanded the hold that it goes into, behind the gauge as well.
Maybe I need to sand a little better on the backside?

Any advice for getting a good ground?

Jordan S.
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2017 at 9:19pm
Solder a wire to the gauges case & ground the other end to a screw on the firewall. Make the wire long enough to work with. 
1947-cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1947-cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2017 at 9:20pm
Isn't there a place for a grounding wire?
RICH

1947 cj2a (Toy From Hell)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2017 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by 1947-cj2a 1947-cj2a wrote:

Isn't there a place for a grounding wire?

Not on mine.
danover321 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danover321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2017 at 12:32am
Your body is lacking a good ground.  Make sure your rig has a good complete ground circuit.

Frame to engine, engine to body, body to frame.
44 Willys MB 379XXX
45 Willys MB 459XXX
46 Willys CJ2A 38008
46 Willys CJ2A 38136
47 Willys CJ2A 97474
US Army Active/Reserve 1989 to 2005
Desert Storm, Bosnia, Kosovo, Iraq Invasion 2003

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2017 at 1:32am
The bracket should have a spring attached to it between the two holes for the mounting/connecting bolts. The spring should press against the back of the gauge housing and provide a connection between the housing and bracket. The ends of the bracket are cut to provide "teeth" which dig into the dash panel, so the ground path is from the housing, thru the spring to the bracket, and into the dash panel. It sounds like you have cleaned most of the contact places - make sure the spring is present and is making good contact to the bracket and the gauge. This is for original CJ2-A gauges, I understand that some aftermarket gauges have a place to connect a ground wire.   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
jscheiner.09 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jscheiner.09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2017 at 1:50am
Well the body actually has a good ground. I Only know that because when I tested it outside of the dash, I touched it to a painted bolt on the tub and it grounded correctly. Also, it's not the spring because I can touch the bracket to a ground and it works, not just the case.
My best bet might be to sotter a ground to it. I tried that last night but it wasn't hot enough and I couldn't get it to melt to the case. Any specific type of sotter I need ?
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2017 at 2:48am
Originally posted by jscheiner.09 jscheiner.09 wrote:

Well the body actually has a good ground. I Only know that because when I tested it outside of the dash, I touched it to a painted bolt on the tub and it grounded correctly. Also, it's not the spring because I can touch the bracket to a ground and it works, not just the case.
My best bet might be to sotter a ground to it. I tried that last night but it wasn't hot enough and I couldn't get it to melt to the case. Any specific type of sotter I need ?
Electrical soldering is always done with rosin core solder and not acid core solder.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2017 at 5:45am
Originally posted by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A wrote:

Originally posted by jscheiner.09 jscheiner.09 wrote:

Electrical soldering is always done with rosin core solder and not acid core solder.

Unless you are REALLY into chasing bad electrical connections in a few months, use the rosin core solder.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jscheiner.09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2017 at 1:53pm
Picked up a new solder yesterday. I could not get he solder to stick to the case. It melted fine, just would not stick.
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2017 at 4:15pm
You're going to have to get the gauge case hot enough to melt the solder when you touch it with it. I'm afraid that much heat may not be good for the gauge. 
  Thousands of other jeeps have operating gas gauges without this mod. I would find the problem and make it work the way it was designed. You evidently have continuity between the gauge and the bracket, you just need to find where the path back to the battery is broken. Do you have any other electrical accessories? How well do they work? How well do the headlights/taillights/stoplight work?
  Or - since you have a ground connection as far as the bracket, why not attach your extra ground wire to the bracket?     BW

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jscheiner.09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2017 at 4:54pm
Bruce,
Good idea, I think I may just attach ground wire to the bracket. 

Other electrical components work fine. Just the gas gauge having trouble.
JS
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2017 at 4:57pm
They surely can be a pain, as any small-draw elecrical component can be.  BW

Post Reply Post Reply