Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel Gauge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtmodela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel Gauge
    Posted: 02 Jan. 2018 at 6:04pm
My fuel gauge quite working, I purchased a new gauge and sending unit. Once installed I noticed the gauge was reading between 1/2 and 1/4 when actually the tank was empty.  after running out of gas I purchased another gauge and sending unit and it does the same thing. What am I doing wrong?
Mike Ternus
stude-a-willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stude-a-willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2018 at 6:12pm
That is how mine works when it is running. Turn off the engine and the voltage drops to battery voltage instead of charge voltage and it is much closer to empty on the gauge = empty in the tank.

I ran out of gas once too while I figured that out.

My low fuel warning is when the needle stops bouncing around. 

The non-sparking copper tube I stick down the filler neck is 100% accurate at confirming the level at all times.

Studebaker re-powered CJ2a
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2018 at 6:41pm
Mike,
Which vendor did you purchase the gauge from?
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2018 at 6:46pm
Seems like I remember the repop gauge I bought had an adjustment screw on the back.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
mtmodela View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtmodela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2018 at 7:05pm
Kaiser Willys Auto Supply
Mike Ternus
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2018 at 7:20pm
Welcome aboard Mike,hope you find the problem with your fuel gauge.Do you have pictures of your jeep.We love pictures.
1946 cj2a 59108
1998 Jeep Cherokee 2 doors
2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2018 at 7:35pm
Mike,

If you fill the tank up does the gauge read full?  

If it reads 1/2 to 1/4  when you get to empty - you might want to make sure the float is installed in an orientation that it does not get hung up on something in the tank (wall of the tank or the baffle).   A non working gas gauge on a CJ2A is a pretty common issue.  Some people us a stick as a gas gauge.
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
63owner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 63owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2018 at 7:46pm
After getting tired of messing with the gauges on both of my Jeeps and never really trusting them, I purchased a "fuel gauge" from the local hardware store.
It's a 3/16 wooden dowel rod. When it reads at about 1 inch wet on the bottom of the rod, I add more gas.
It has never let me down.
1948 CJ2A
1963 CJ3B
Late 1940s(?) Spen trailer
mtmodela View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtmodela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2018 at 7:50pm
Gauge does read full when tank is full. I replaced both the sending unit and gauge twice with new units and it still will run out of gas at a reading between 1/2 and 1/4.  I also made sure the float is not rubbing on tank or a baffle. Help !!!

Mike Ternus
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2018 at 8:02pm
Walck's sells a gauge that is adjustable.    Kaiser sells the same adjustable gauge.  It comes standard with a black bezel.  They both have 3 posts and an access hole in the back where you can make adjustments.  I have had bad luck with the recent Walck's version.  ( Fuel level would rise as I accelerated.  Never could get it to work right.)  

Kaiser also sells a gauge (Made in the USA) that is like the original CJ2A 2-post gauge, but the bezel is Olive Drab and needs to be painted black of a 2A.

If you have the 2 post gauge, then I would do what Stev suggests.  It may be getting caught up...or you might need to bend the float arm at bit for the gauge to read correctly.

If you have the Kaiser 3 post version, you may just need to adjust it to read correctly.

Tim  

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2018 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

Seems like I remember the repop gauge I bought had an adjustment screw on the back.

Mine has this too. Pain to try to adjust when it is in the dash.

If I was a smarter human I would remove the gauge and the sending unit and have someone assist me in setting it.  Think I'll do that since the fuel in my tank is close to a year old now, I'll drain that out.

( Mental note for me)LOL
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2018 at 10:08pm
You need to check operation of the gauge/sending unit on the bench to verify if it is a mechanical/float hang up or an electrical mismatch in the pair.
You are using a 6 or 12v gauge setup as needed for your jeep?
Check this thread for resistance readings for stock gauge.
https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/fuel-level-sending-unit_topic5216.html  AND
https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/why-doesnt-my-gas-gauge-work_topic17875.html

Edited by TERRY - 02 Jan. 2018 at 10:13pm
BOULDER 48 2A
mtmodela View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtmodela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2018 at 10:30pm
After reading my posts from you allI called Kaiser-Willys asking them if the gauge I bought was ajustable to match the sending unit. They said it was and could be adjusted in the back of the gauge with a small screw driver. That will be my next step. Thanks to all who gave  me information on this. It was very helpfull. It would have been nice if the gauge would of had instructions notifying the purchaser that the gauge could of been calibrated prior to installation. A bench test will be performed for sure.

Thanks again, Mike
Mike Ternus
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2018 at 1:28pm
Did adjusting the gauge solve the probem? Curious minds want to know Big smile
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2018 at 8:48pm
it didn't on mine. I have the Walcks 12v version.

I have mine set to read full when the tank is full. When the gauge hits E, there's about three gallons left.

I tried setting the gauge to 1/2 with exactly 5 gallons in the tank, and the results were mixed. It never read the same between fill-ups.
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
Qcanuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Qcanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2018 at 10:35pm
My fuel gauge is a 3 foot long, half inch oak dowel.  It never lies. 
The other one is just for show.
QW
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2018 at 2:15am
Originally posted by Qcanuck Qcanuck wrote:

My fuel gauge is a 3 foot long, half inch oak dowel.

Half that length will not lie either.  You can calibrate it if you want, too.  I did that with my first Jeep.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Phil_IA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil_IA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2018 at 3:23am
I calibrated my stick with a magic marker. Hasn't left me stranded yet.
48 CJ2A "Squeaky" owned since 1978
2010 Grand S Limited
2000 XJ
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>