Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gas Cap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1947-cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gas Cap
    Posted: 29 Aug. 2018 at 2:32am
Well I put a better seal in my gas cap to stop the right turn spill but now
my gas tank doesn't leak! It also doesn't get any air it and starts to pull
a vacuum which other problem all in it self.

I got a new cap once before and it leaked as bad as the one a already had,
does anyone one sale a good cap that doesn't leak and vents correctly?

I hate paying for gas and half of it runs down the side of my jeep and
having the engine die due to the lack of gas. Also I'm afraid of crushing
the gas tank like a beer can with the vacuum it is pulling.
RICH

1947 cj2a (Toy From Hell)
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug. 2018 at 2:35am
Honestly, on every trail ride I go on, every stock configured flat fender leaks fuel when parked with the left side low. Usually solved by parking with the left side up.
I know, not very helpful but true.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
1947-cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1947-cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug. 2018 at 3:24am
Has anyone used the gas cap 640594 from walcks?
Is it a piece of sh*t or a good brand cap that vents and
doesn't leak too.
RICH

Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug. 2018 at 3:34am
Back in about 2010 I purchased a new cap from Walcks, the seal or gasket on it melted to nothing on the first fill of gas so I made a gasket from a sheet of cork gasket material from Napa (Thank you Chi-Coms) on the original cap that fit the tank better as well!.... 2014 I replaced the tank as it was rusty and plugging up things down the line, so I went with a new cap again, the cap has held up well with no issues, so I’ll assume between 2010 and 2014 the Chi-Coms corrected the crap gasket/seal with one that is correct for American gas and yes as Stan said, a full tank on a left lean they all seem to weep a bit....

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug. 2018 at 1:40am
An original gas cap is the only solution. It has two valves inside. One is designed to let air in so there is never a vacuum in the tank. The other releases under pressure, so when it gets hot excess pressure is relieved, but gas doesn't spill out on a side hill.

Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug. 2018 at 9:08pm
Bob W.

That is very cool information on the original gas cap!  Thanks for sharing!

Makes me wonder if the reproduction caps are made like the originals with the two valves inside.

Stev
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug. 2018 at 9:29pm
Bob, what info do you have on replacement sources?

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug. 2018 at 12:39am
I keep my fuel level out of the filler neck when filling up, it prevent the right turn slosh

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug. 2018 at 12:46am
My tank leaked like crazy while I was in the Henry Mountains and then on Elephant Hill in Utah. It was to the point I was afraid I wouldn't make it back. Tried a NAPA cap in Colorado. That didn't do any better. Ordered a Walcks cap. Same thing. finally ordered some jerry can spout gaskets off of ebay. Put them in my cap. They aren't perfect but they are pretty close. No air lock problems and minimal leakage. They are only a couple of bucks.
Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug. 2018 at 1:36am
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

Bob, what info do you have on replacement sources?

Unfortunately I have no information about replacement gas caps.
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug. 2018 at 1:54am
You guys in build stage might wanna vent the tank to the oil bath air filter M38 style.
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug. 2018 at 2:26am
Originally posted by Bob W Bob W wrote:

Unfortunately I have no information about replacement gas caps.

Ok thanks

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
1947-cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1947-cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug. 2018 at 3:28am
3a Steve.
I used the gaskets you talked about and they worked great at stopping the leak,
but caused the vacuum problem I'm having now.
RICH

1947-cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1947-cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug. 2018 at 4:08am
I check under rock-auto to see what they had.
They showed a acdelco 12f7 cap, which I looked
up on ebay and there are a bunch of them out
out there too. I  have order one and will let you
all know how it works or if is just another piece
of sh*t being sold.
RICH

Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug. 2018 at 5:43am
I can’t speak to which cap works best, but coincidentally this past weekend I had a gas cap failure.  I was climbing a steep grade in a private area of Palo Duro Canyon (where they hold the Jeep Jamboree) and yes, leaning to the left spilling gas as I went up the hill.  I slid over into the wall of the road on the driver’s side, scraping pretty good along the way.  When I reached to top of the climb, I noticed the scraping had completely unscrewed my gas cap.  Took me about 10 minutes to find it buried in the dirt and rocks of the trail.  Brushed it off and screwed it back on.  Didn’t think anymore about it until about an hour later when the jeep quit runningConfused

Thought it was vapor locking at first cuz it was 100 deg and the fuel filter was completely dry.  Then it hit me😖

Anyway, mine is a very old locking gas cap that had the key broke off in it so it was always “unlocked”.  I took it apart and had new keys made for the tumbler so that it would be locked in place and couldn’t be twisted off by the rocks or dirt embankments.  While disassembled, I made new gaskets for it out of Fel-Pro material appropriate for gasoline.  Also bent the locking tabs a little to tighten it up a bit.  I suspect it will still leak when leaning to the left, but at least it won’t be as easy to twist off on the rocks now👍🏻  You sure don’t want this to happen.  I can tell you that you can only go 2.3 miles on a Gatorade bottle acting as a gas tank😉
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
1947-cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1947-cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep. 2018 at 6:07pm
CAN SOMEONE TELL ME IF THIS IS A LARGE OR SMALL MOUTH TANK. I JUST RECIEVE MY VENTED CAP AND IT DOESN'T FIT THE TANK.
RICH

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep. 2018 at 3:22am
"Large" or "small" mouth only applies to WWII jeeps.  CJ-2A tanks should be all the same.  Where did you get the cap?
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
1947-cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1947-cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep. 2018 at 3:46am
I looked it up on rock-auto to get a part number and order it off ebay.
RICH

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>