Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gas line ?????

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sourkraut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gas line ?????
    Posted: 05 July 2018 at 3:02pm
What is the proper inside diameter of the fuel line? Also, can a rubber fuel line, or combination of metal & rubber, be used from tank to pump, instead of metal?

Thanks....John/Sourkraut
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2018 at 3:21pm
Modern vehicles have been using metal/rubber/plastic combinations for a while. 
I believe 1/4" tubes were standard for fuel. 
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2018 at 6:11am
John,
If you are looking to replace it, I recently installed the Omix fuel line kit. The fit was pretty decent and it came with clips as well as the short rubber hose to the fuel pump. The fit would have been even better if Summit didn't put a bend in it to ship it easier.

Micah
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2018 at 12:20pm
For the long one piece from the gas tank(just replaced mine) I used 5',1/4 Ni,Cu brake line from Napa. About 15$ has the same flare fittings, and easy to bend Joe W
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)
47 deuce alpha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47 deuce alpha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2018 at 4:57pm
When I got my jeep awhile back it had all metal lines but a couple of the fittings were seeping fuel. There was no fuel filter installed. I added an in-line fuel filter just before the carb and replaced the metal fuel line. I could never get the reverse flare fittings to stop seeping (probably pulling in air when the jeep was running). I swapped over to rubber hose just before the fuel pump and between the fuel pump and carb. No more seeps. If you go with hose be sure it is rated for fuel and ethanol use (Gates Barricade is one type). I would also suggest installing a fuel filter just before the fuel pump and another just before the carb. This will catch any fragments that might flake off of the hoses.
1947 CJ2A 90419
1947 CJ2A 127735
1949 Ford 8N
1955 Kaiser Willys Pickup
Half the distance takes you twice as long.
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2018 at 11:58am
Originally posted by 47 deuce alpha 47 deuce alpha wrote:

I could never get the reverse flare fittings to stop seeping (p
        Not sure what you mean by reverse flare, but I had a crimp in my single piece copper fuel line(if not original, replaced over 50yrs ago), so I decided to replace the crimped part by putting in a union with the same results wouldn't stop seeping, so I replaced the whole line as stated above. I'm suspecting the union might have been metric, with SAE fitting, they will thread but are different. Made sure the line was SAE seeping solved. Joe W
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47 deuce alpha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2018 at 1:51pm
Excuse me, I believe inverted flare is the proper term.
1947 CJ2A 90419
1947 CJ2A 127735
1949 Ford 8N
sourkraut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sourkraut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2018 at 2:51pm
Thanks for all the replies. However, no one actually said what the INSIDE diameter was. I put a 1/4" brake line on it last fall, but the inside diameter looked awfully small. I also put a fuel shutoff and an inline filter, cleanable, just after tank. I installed a regular filter just before carb. Overkill, don't think so. I've had too many roadside filter changes/cleaning over the  years.

Anyway, thanks for all the info. Love this site!

John/Sourkraut
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2018 at 6:27pm
I was taught years ago tube is measured by outside dia.,pipe by inside dia. 1/4 tube would be 1/4 minus 2X wall thickness, pretty sure 1/4" is stock. Joe W

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47 deuce alpha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2018 at 11:56pm
Originally posted by sourkraut sourkraut wrote:

Thanks for all the replies. However, no one actually said what the INSIDE diameter was. I put a 1/4" brake line on it last fall, but the inside diameter looked awfully small. I also put a fuel shutoff and an inline filter, cleanable, just after tank. I installed a regular filter just before carb. Overkill, don't think so. I've had too many roadside filter changes/cleaning over theĀ  years.

Anyway, thanks for all the info. Love this site!

John/Sourkraut

The original metal fuel line on my jeep is 1/4" OD and 3/16" ID so that is nominally 1/4" tubing. I changed part of the fuel line over to hose which is 1/4" ID and 7/16' OD. That is considered 1/4" hose. The ID on some of the inline fuel filters appear very small. On another note my old 8N Ford tractor also has a 1/4" fuel line. No fuel pump, the tank is above the carb so it is gravity flow. You actually have to restrict the flow with a needle valve to keep it from getting to much flow through the 1/4" line.     
1947 CJ2A 90419
1947 CJ2A 127735
1949 Ford 8N
Cinnabear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cinnabear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2018 at 3:01am
Question for you while we are this topic. My fuel line is rubber hose from the tank to the pump, theres a filter just outside the tank, and another right before the pump. My plan is to remove the tank and clean it out....I'm thinking of replacing the fuel line while I'm at it...would you guys do rubber or switch to that brake line?
1947 CJ-2A Willys
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2018 at 4:36am
Use actual steel fuel line.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2018 at 6:18am
Recently the metal line from the fuel pump to the carb split.  The fan was blowing the gas all over.   Got a measurement and while I had gas on my hands I measured from the TK to the fuel pump.  So now I have hose all the way through, with a filter before the fuel pump.  Fewer places for leaks to occur.  In the dark past I had installed a 1/4 turn valve under the TK.  I think the hose may keep vapor lock from occurring.

Edited by 64CJ5 - 16 July 2018 at 6:20am
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
 Post Reply Post Reply