Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gear oil smell

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markcl52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gear oil smell
    Posted: 07 Aug. 2017 at 8:51pm
For those of you that have done a complete restoration and have a squeaky clean vehicle, is the smell of gear oil still prominent?

Without removing the body, I have done an ok job of cleaning off as much oily sludge as I can and replaced the worst of the leaking seals. I just moved it inside my garage and the smell of gear oil is noticeable. Waiting for the wife to mention it and wondering if that's just the way it's going to be. Not that I am planning a squeaky clean restoration, just wondering.  
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2017 at 9:27pm
Markcl52,

If it is sealed up, the CJ2A will not smell like gear oil.   There are some older types of oils that really have a pungent smell - which may be a sulfa smell.

Keep sealing and cleaning - you will get there.
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2017 at 9:37pm
You may have a bit of gear oil in your mustache. LOL Ask me how I know this. Embarrassed  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2017 at 10:05pm
my experience is that GL1 (the recommended oil for stock transmission and transfer case applications) really doesn't smell much different than engine oil.  The stuff in the diffs is pretty smelly though.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
pjensen641 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pjensen641 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2017 at 10:31pm
The diffs seem easier to keep sealed than the Trans/TC.  As others have mentioned, the straight GL1 used in the Trans/TC does not smell strongly like the GL4/5 in the diffs.  You should be able to minimize leakage from the diffs.

That said, there are no charcoal canisters or anything on these old Jeeps.  If it doesn't smell like gear oil, its gonna smell like gas.  Thats sorta part of the old vehicle ownership experience!
ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug. 2017 at 2:18am
A quart of gear oil spilled in gravel will stink for about 6 months exposed to the weather. Never realized how that stuff had the prehistoric stench from which oil developed.

In my youth, working in a stone quarry we used gallons of that stuff every day between working on all of the heavy equipment and keeping the gear boxes in the belt lines topped off. I will never forget our Foreman buying a brand new 1974 Ford pickup and sloshing gear oil in the bed to keep it from rusting.
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
OldJeepGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldJeepGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2017 at 3:12am
I love that smell!
Don't sweat the small stuff.
It's all small stuff.
 Post Reply Post Reply