Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - Tech Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

generator help part 3

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: generator help part 3
    Posted: 27 Mar. 2006 at 7:41am

Thanks in advance for the help.

I had the generator rebuilt on my 3A. (12 volt,converted over by previous owner) I installed the generator and also installed a new battery. The jeep fired up on the first turn of the key and ran well. The question I have is about the charging of the battery and also what role does the battery play once it powers the starter to start the jeep. I put a tester on the battery while it was running and the needle showed about 12.5 volts. I then turned the lights on and it showed the same thing. I also observed the lights and they appeared to get dimmer as time went on. The jeep used tio die when I would turn on the lights and this is why I had the generator tested and then rebuilt because it was shot. It seems like after I installed the rebuilt generator and new battery the lights would stay bright and would not fade. The only thing I have not replaced is the voltage regulator, but I had someone check it out and they seemed to think it was ok. The wiring seemes fine, but I have not traced out every single wire. From what I have described do you think the generator is charging correctly and is it normal for the lights to get a little dimmer when they are on for a while? I don't want to ruin my generator or new battery so any help would be greatly appreciated. P.S. I did not polarize my generator so the rebuild shop said I did not need to. It is a A-circut Auto lite 12 volt generator. 

Allen Fabre
DAN H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAN H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2006 at 1:44pm
the lights shouldnt dim out.  it looks like youre using more load than the alternator is producing.  what voltage is the generator putting out since the rebuild?  on some alternators there is a little screw that you can turn up the voltage for just such a thing.  a fast way you can tell that is look and see if the alternator has a fuse in it.  if so there will be a screw.
Battle Hook 960 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Battle Hook 960 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2006 at 5:53pm

Belt tension could also play a factor.

Although you should have more than 12V at the battery while running/charging.

1945 CJ-2A 10224
Allen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2006 at 9:46pm
The tension on the belt seems fine.It is not making any of the loose belt noises that would make you think it was loose. I will keep working on it until I find out what is wrong. I would still like someone to give me a basic explanation on what role the battery plays after it powers the starter to start the engine. Without the help of the more experienced, the newbies would be lost. Your efforts are very much appreciated.
Allen Fabre
DAN H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAN H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2006 at 10:16pm
the batt doesnt really play a role.  you can start it without the battery too.  see if it will run without the battery connected.  test the disconnected cable terminals to see what the voltage is coming out of the alt. 
p3ferris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p3ferris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2006 at 10:37pm
Is your  generator matched with your A circut regulator,  or is your generator a B circut.  This would cause it not to charge the battery.  The battery is acually a power back up.  If your generator can not keep up with the power used it will maintain the difference as long as it is charged up.  When it it is low the regulator lets the power generated by the generator flow back into the battery. Thus replenishing your back up power.  You may start your vehicle  with it and run your vehicle off of the generator, but if you pull power to the lights or something  that takes power your engine may stop for lack of enough electricity.  I  think this is what you wanted.
Ed
cj2a lefty
Allen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar. 2006 at 7:32am
The generator is a A circut. The only unknown is the regulator. It was on the jeep when I bought it, so I don't know if the previous owner put the right regulator on the jeep when he converted it to a 12 volt system. There is  a sticker on the regulator that says Nu Line, but I do not see any model number or any other numbers. I may un bolt it from the fender and see if there is a number on the underside of the regulator. If I had a model number I could check and see if it is the right regulator. If all else fails, I will buy a regulator that I know is right and be done with it.
Allen Fabre
Ritt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ritt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar. 2006 at 1:26pm

I agree, it sounds like a reg. problem. I'm using a 63 (?) amp alternator with the built in reg. or card. My lights are bright enough at night where some times I get flashed back at with low beams on. Have never had a problem with an alternator.

I agree, the generator looks more authentic.

Rit

1948 2A,

"RAISIN COOKIES THAT LOOK LIKE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES ARE THE MAIN REASON I HAVE TRUST ISSUES"
 Post Reply Post Reply