Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

generator vibration

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: generator vibration
    Posted: 26 Mar. 2016 at 10:01pm
Is this too much? Not sure this link will work

Edited by russnj - 27 Mar. 2016 at 12:47am
Rick Estes
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2016 at 4:26am
Can't view your video - requires sign-in.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2016 at 11:49am
Thanks Russ and Mike S. I'll try to fix it.

Rick Estes
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2016 at 4:51pm

Is this vibration excessive? Normal?

Okay, obviously I'm not there yet.
Sorry

Edited by eestes1 - 27 Mar. 2016 at 4:53pm
Rick Estes
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar. 2016 at 3:30pm
I think your You tube video is set as "Private" and needs to be changed to "Public".
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar. 2016 at 3:39pm
Thank you, sir! I think I have done that, but apparently I have not named it or "published it". I dont get some of the options that the instructions call for. Thanks again. I'll keep trying.
Rick Estes
minnow1193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minnow1193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar. 2016 at 7:14pm
Looks like it's rock steady to me. Haven't seen it move at all.

Keep trying. You'll get it.
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar. 2016 at 11:37pm
Your confidence is exceeded only by your good sense of humor!
Thanks!
Rick Estes
autolite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote autolite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2016 at 1:33am
Short of the video you are trying to upload, IMHO, as long as your rubber insulators are good and your generator mount is tight to the engine block, upper support arm is tight, and your generator front plate and rear plate holes are not elongated, you should not have any vibration.
willys jeep
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2016 at 12:37pm
Autolite, thanks. I think I have a problem (and maybe a video!)

Rick Estes
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2016 at 2:27pm
Definitely a problem there. It shouldn't be moving around like that. If not fixed you are going to have a bracket fatigue failure. It looks to me like you need lower pins/screws and bushings. The screws are special screws with a shoulder on them that fits the rubber bushing. They are available at most willys parts vendors if you need to replace them.
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2016 at 2:38pm
Thanks. I was.concerned the movement had got worse, and it may have been mounted wrong.

Rick Estes
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2016 at 2:56pm
Oddly enough, I've seen many a jeep come through my shop with the generator mounted wrong. Most of the time in that condition either the shoulder screws are replaced with just a regular nut and bolt or the rear bracket that mounts to the block is missing all together and the generator is just hanging on the front mount.
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

Carlsjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlsjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2016 at 1:27pm
Yep, to much movement there. Pull the gen. and bracket and start looking broken bracket, bolts or to long of bolt to tighten the bracket, etc.
Life is only as good as you make it.
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2016 at 9:19pm
It appears the pully is wobbling, might be bent? A bent pully would make it do the hula like that.
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2016 at 9:31pm
Thanks to everyone for your thoughts. I'll take the generator out and see whats going on. I THINK I caused the problem some years ago when I replaced the bolts and bushings that were in when I got the Jeep.
Here is (I think) what I took out.

Rick Estes
autolite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote autolite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2016 at 11:06pm
Someone was using steel spacers in the place of the rubber insulators. Did you replace with new bolts and rubber insulators when you changed them out ? If so, short of the above comments from others, you should have minimal vibration. One thing you may to look at is the mounting bracket itself. Maybe the holes for the rubber insulators are wallowed out and the rubber insulators are not tight.
willys jeep
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2016 at 11:28pm
I will post photos of what I find when I take the generator out (if its not too embarassing!)Embarrassed

Rick Estes
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>