Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

generator vibration

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2016 at 4:05pm
Ok, here's what I found:one bushing missing, one bolt missing from the back bracket, lots of grime! Are these the correct bolts and bushings? Anyone notice anything else thats wrong?
Thanks to all!

Rick Estes
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2016 at 10:53pm

The screws are correct but the bushings have been cut in half. There should be only two bushings with a double shoulder each so that each is captured and fits tightly in the brackets. Each shoulder screw should have a two large flat washers to go with them... one that fits over the shoulder with a 33/64 hole in it, and one that fits over the threads that has a 21/64 hole in it. They squish the rubber bushings when tightened down. There should also be a 5/16 lock washer between the 5/16 nut and flat washer.

Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2016 at 11:13pm
Thanks, Joe De Young. All those parts do not seem to be what is offered by the main suppliers. Should I just go to a good hardware store?
Rick Estes
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2016 at 11:38pm
Here's a link for where the correct bushing is offered... http://walcks4wd.com/bushing-generator-support-l-f.html
Fender washers from the hardware store would work if you can't find the correct original flat washers.

Edited by Joe DeYoung - 31 Mar. 2016 at 11:40pm
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2016 at 11:19am
Wow! Great help here, as usual.
Thanks!

Rick Estes
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2016 at 6:01pm
I have ordered the rubber bushings from Walcks. The bushings I had in there were what Kaiser Willys sells.
Rick Estes
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2016 at 6:23pm
Ok, I got everything I need to reinstall the generator except one bolt for the lower bracket. It is a 3/8 by 16 hex head with a shoulder. Kaiser Willys shows the bolts w/o the shoulder, and Walcks doesnt show them. Can I use the correct size bolts minus the shoulder, threaded all the way up?

Rick Estes
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2016 at 6:56pm
Yes it will work. I'd just go to the local hardware store or home Depot to get it.... provided you don't live in the boonies :-)
Joe DeYoung

eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2016 at 7:03pm
Sort of the boonies- its 16 miles either way to a hardware store, but we're used to that! We just got back from one of them! Ill go back after I rest the mule.Wink
Thank you again for your help.
Rick Estes
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2016 at 12:08pm
Ok, found the back bolt in the lower bracket twisted off in the block! For now its all put together with just the one bolt. So far, seems fine, but probably temporary. The end of the broken bolt is inside the surface of the block. I assume it will have to be drilled out, or maybe I could weld the back end of the bracket to the block?
Rick Estes
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2016 at 12:28pm
the block is cast iron... drill the bolt, or maybe weld a nut to it, but welding to the block is a bad idea, imo
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2016 at 1:00pm
Ok, thanks!
Rick Estes
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2016 at 7:41pm

2X on don't try to weld it to the block. How far below the surface is the broken bolt? Weld isn't going to stick to cast so bolt can be pretty far down and still be able to weld a nut to the end of it.

Joe DeYoung

eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2016 at 8:09pm
Thanks. For now the generator is steady, and given my welding skills, I'm going to try an "easy out" and some PB Blaster when it starts to wobble again.
Rick Estes
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2016 at 3:01pm
EZ outs are often everything but easy.
Can you reach it with a left hand bit in a reversible drill? The left hand bit may just back out the bolt while it is drilling a pilot hole.
BOULDER 48 2A
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2016 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by TERRY TERRY wrote:

EZ outs are often everything but easy.

2X on that!!! And you have an even bigger problem when you break the EZ Out off in the hole. They are hardened and you can't drill them out with a conventional HHS or even cobalt drill. 
Joe DeYoung

eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2016 at 3:53pm
I guess what I have is an ez out- its a bolt remover set of 4 bits from Craftsman. I dont know if I can get to the bolt with my drill until I have to remove the generator again. I will try them out on some more accessible broken bolts in less critical places. I bet I can find some. Confused
I am learning so I do appreciate the advice!
Rick Estes
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2017 at 2:31pm
I'm back after a long hiatus. Want to revisit this so others can know what's what. Thanks again for your help and patience.
I have removed the fender, generator and bracket. The "easy outs" I have are Craftsman Deck Outs with three sizes of bits. Each has a cutter end and a remover end. I started with Blaster soaking and tapping for a day or two. I have made some progress in getting the hole started but no movement of the bolt yet. Next thing is Terrys idea of left hand drill bits.
I will update and add a photo if i can get a good one.
Rick Estes
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>