Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Glass Mistakes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Glass Mistakes
    Posted: 11 May 2016 at 6:02am
I have made a couple of mistakes with my windshield glass that maybe someone else can learn from and avoid the same dumbness.
First off, when I had my tub off to fix the rusty floors, I took the windshield and leaned it against the garage wall not far from where I was working.

After several months of cutting, welding and painting, when I put it all back together, Low and behold my windshield glass had sand like specks imbedded in the glass. I tried scrubbing it off, but it was melted into the glass. Lesson learned: do not grind and especially do not weld near your glass. Those welding sparks ARE hot enough to melt glass and will make you feel like an idiot when people ask you about the sand specks on your windshield.

2nd, when I am trailering my rig I always put the windshield down. I don't want that sail sticking up and holding me back. The thing is I don't really feel secure with my windshield only being held down by that one little strap and buckle through a footman loop. It's ok for 20 mph on th trail, but 75 mph on the highway is a whole different deal.So I always put a ratchet strap across the windshield with hooks on the fenders to make sure it doesn't fly up and get broken. The thing is, I always think that one or two more clicks past tight on the ratchet stap would be even more safe and less likely let the windshield fly. This is a bad idea. Glass can flex a little, but not two more clicks on the ratchet strap.

I guess I have a good excuse now to replace my welding pocked windshield glass.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2016 at 1:08pm
I have a separate tie down that I put through the front loop on the windshield and secure it to the handles on the front weight on the bumper. This could be done to the frame rails as well.The smartest thing I've seen in a long time is what RocnRoll does to his when he trailers. He has one of those saran wrap dispensers like they use in factories to bind items to pallets. He wraps his windshield in that with padding underneath. As far as I know he has never had a problem.
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
bretto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2016 at 1:31pm
Bummer about your glass.
Plastic wrap your seats to, keeps them dry if you hit rain.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2016 at 1:51pm
Yea gotta do that in the next day or two......protects the windshield but doesn't help with Stan's 'sail effect' though.

One similar mistake to Stan's ....Frankie's glass is a piece of Speedglass (just a trademarked name of Lexan type stuff)

I usually put one or two wraps of the stretchwrap film on the windshield then one of those reflective sun shades on the glass and stretch film on top of that. All this trouble because the windshield sticks up above my truck cab and catches everything. With the film I just cut it off when I get to where I'm going and 'no bugs'.....The sunshade provides a layer of slight padding as an added benefit.

The onetime trouble I had was putting the sunshield directly on the glass then stretchwrapping it......on the way home the slight wind buffeting combined with a small shower and roadgrit made it's mark on the fake glass......don't know if it would have marked real glass that way or not and it is slight but I can see it and to me the windshield never looks perfectly clean.

It's not that irritating, but like Stan, I wish I hadn't done it.

I'll take a pic or two when I pack up if I think about it.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2016 at 1:57pm
I just bought an inner windshield frame with glass and I'm freaking out. I'm telling the seller how I want it packaged because I know whats going to happen if it's shipped with poor technique. I'm sounding like a total douche I'm thinking. The guy, whose a forum member, seems to know whats going on but I still think I'm sounding a bit like a Sally.Confused
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
Ryan_289 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2016 at 2:54pm
As I get closer to completion ive been thinking about a lot of these things.  When you trailer your rig is it best to trailer it with the top down?  Ive noticed that even at 45ish miles an hour the window catches a lot of air.  I hate to know how bad 70mph would be on it.  Do yall put any padding between the hood blocks and the windshield for long trips?
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2016 at 3:30pm
I always trailer mine with the windshield down. All I use to hold it is the single factory strap. I run 75 mph for extended trips and never had any problems.

I just lay the windshield down directly on the oak hood blocks. They have developed an indention from the window hinge and a little paint has rubbed off. That used to bother me, especially after the hundreds of hours I invested rebuilding this Jeep, but hey, now they are little badges of honor proving this Willys is still at it!
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
sandusky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2016 at 4:02pm
When I was modifying my tub for the 2" setback of the seats I blasted the gauges with hot steel sparks coming off my grinder. Ended up replacing them. I also had new glass installed in my windshield, they used the webbing stuff on the top and bottom but used a caulk on the sides. No problem with the install but I stood it up in the back seat of my truck and left it there overnight, next day it had taken a set and now the bottom drags a bit in the outer winshield frame. As far as trailering I put the windshield down I've got a spring loaded web strap buckle that hasn't failed me yet. Unlike the orig. type that loosen over time and wear,and use plastic trash bags and duct tape on the seats.
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2016 at 4:04am
I do it a little different when trailering,  I take the glass out of windshield,  then store it either inside tow vehicle, (if there is space), or strap it lightly across front seat of '2A.  Never had any issues in many hundreds of miles trailering.

I think it looks "cooler" going down the road with windshield up, (especially since I have an ugly rollbar)  and that tubing in the air above roofline of tow vehicle probably does not provide much wind resistance, or stress on windshield frame.

Edit: oh,  and thanks smulle for sharing,  hopefully this saves others from the same grief  (who would ever think grinding would embed molten "sand" in glass).   (windshield or gauges)

Edited by JeepFever - 12 May 2016 at 4:10am
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2016 at 3:40pm
  Guilty,  I learn the hard way, pitted from grinding and a shattered windshield from not securing it down while towing.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2016 at 4:25pm
The window in the man door to my garage has this going on due to it's proximity to the workbench.
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 5:47am
Well, I'm going to add to what us fast becoming my "thread of shame."

This next mistake with glass requires some explanation. I replaced my nonfunctional vacuum wiper motor with an electric one. This after market motor parks the wiper on the far drivers side making the wiper arm interfere with the hood block when the windshield is folded down. It's not really a problem as long as I remember to push the wiper over before putting the glass down.
While down at .Moab for Easter Jeep Safari, one day we got to the trail head and aired down then headed off on the trail when I realized I had forgotten to put the glass down and I hate running on a trail with the glass up. I stopped in the middle of the trail and hustled around to fold the glass down. As I did this a couple of other jeeps rolled up behind me and I felt some pressure to get going. In trying to hurry I forgot to move the wiper arm so it laid right down on the hood block. I ran for an hour or so when I noticed that the glass was cracked right where the motor shaft goes through the fram. The pressure on the arm and shaft had been too much for it.

Here's a picture of the broken glass after I pulled it out.

Unfortunately, that is not the end of the story. I
I got a replacement piece cut and put it in and back together. It went together fine. I got it all cleaned up and shined up with some Rain-x. Wiper reinstalled, rear view mirror reinstalled. Looking pretty so I went to bed. Got up in the morning to find this:

The best I can tell is that in my exuberance to get this done I overtightened the wiper shaft nut and the rear view mirror bolt. That added to the fact that my windshield is slightly bent putting the glass on a bind and here in Northern Utah, even in the garage, tempertures swing wildly from day to night and it breaks.

I always have to learn these lessons in the most expensive way.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 7:01am
I'm not going to say anything. I used to build big skylights for malls that were shipped across the country and do the flashing for them. I replaced the rear window in my Koenig hardtop after repainting and I cracked it. My neighbor is miffed about it. (Actual tinted glass, not film). I don't mention the hole from the tree branch in his fiberglass top. Sometimes I know when to shut up.
When I had the windshield done on the 3B, I did the math. Pull in and take it off and let them do it. I would not saved any money by doing it myself and I had 1/2 of a day driving around with no windshield at all on the Jeep.
uncamonkey
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 2:07am
I've scarred up my windshield glass and gauges grinding and welding too. I need to invest in a good welding blanket to protect them from slag. 

A sturdy razor scraper will pull the metal right out of the glass so it won't shred you windshield wipers or ice scrapers. It won't fill the pits in, though....Embarrassed

I can get windshield panes cut from the correct glass locally for about $25
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 3:10am
I was hauling a jeep for a friend on a trailer with the windshield down but not strapped down. It blew up and shattered the drivers side on the steering wheel and bent the windshield arms. I felt bad for my friend. Even worse when I bought the Jeep from him a year latter.

Do not even think about installing glass, take it to a shop and then all of the fitment problems are their problems not your problems.
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 4:07am
I've done a few windshields before. By and large I agree about taking it to a professional.
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 7:23am
Welding and glass. A neighbor asked me to repair the overhead rack on his work truck. UMMM, a chunk of slag took out his rear window and I paid for his new one. I didn't get paid for the welding but I got some beers out of it and a bit more education.

Edited by Unkamonkey - 25 May 2017 at 7:26am
uncamonkey
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 4:17pm
First, I would never tow at 75mph, that's just asking for trouble. Second, towing with the windshield up at 55 mph is no different than driving with the windshield up at 55 mph and that's about the max speed when I'm towing the jeep so it's a non-issue.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>