Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - Tech Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

gm throttle body

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: gm throttle body
    Posted: 26 Oct. 2010 at 7:58pm
Sorry if this is a little to off subject, but I'm kind of at a loss and I know some of you work with this stuff.I just got a 1994 GMC senoma 4x4 with the 4.3 v6.I have a bad vacuum leak at the throttle shaft,the shaft and\or the body is worn enough that I can move the shaft up and down.I wouldn't worry about this but it is making it idle really bad when it's cold,and I'm afraid it's going to wreck something else in the long run.I did put some grease around the shaft and it helped alot untill it sucks it through,so I'm sure that its the main problem.I can't find a used one around here and I'm thinking that maybe I can fix it somehow or send it off.             Any ideas on how to fix it? Thanks in advance.

PS, I think its a model 220 TBI.
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct. 2010 at 8:29pm
Modern engines are real intolerant to vacuum leaks. I can think of a couple of things I would try for a short term or bubba repair. I'm thinking along the lines of a mini "shift boot". I've got some rubber caps for sealing the end of caulking tubes (or RTV tubes). I was thinking that if you put a small hole in the pointy end then slip it over the shaft and roll the big end over the boss on the throttle body. Another idea is to make a "gasket" out of RTV around the shaft, when it dries, slide it down till it contacts the throttle body. The vaccuum would assist on the seal in either case. I know they can be rebushed, but think that would be about the price of an aftermarket throttle body. HTH
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct. 2010 at 3:26pm
Thanks, I'll keep those ideas in mind.I'll have to look into getting it rebushed.I'v seached everywhere I can think,and I can't find anyone that has rebuilt ones,or even a good used one.
Big_Iz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big_Iz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov. 2010 at 11:15am
Is it a TBI or CPI setup?  I may have an extra 4.3L TBI unit in my parts bin.

Iz
46 CJ-2a -- bone stock
79 CJ-7 -- not so stock
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov. 2010 at 1:17pm
I think I might have it fixed .I was takeing it off yesterday to see if It matched one at the junkyard and found that the base gasket was shot.The gasket was so dried up and krunchy it had sucked part of the gasket in.Anyhow its running alot better now.As for the throttle shaft I don't know if it's leaking enough to do any harm,might just leave it alone right now.
Thanks for the help.

Edited by 48willys - 05 Nov. 2010 at 1:19pm
 Post Reply Post Reply