Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Going Supersonic, Texas version..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2013 at 10:11pm
A A Supersonic engine has a tag by the dist. rivited to the block that says Kaiser Supersonic, it will have a vaccume advance dist the SAME diamiter as the regular 2A not the small size, The head is obvious, the intake manifold is different as the carb sits 90 degrees from the standard L-head manifold and is fitted with a Carter YF with a straight top this setup also uses a completely different throttle linkage, also the Kaiser starter has a solenoid mounted on top. This setup appears to be mutch like the L-head Jeepster setup, does anyone know what head the Jeepster came with?

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
PhillipM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhillipM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2013 at 3:14am
It's been years, but I used denatured alcohol with the head surface perfectly level to cc chambers.  Alcohol lays flat in the combustion chamber because it doesn't have the surface tension of water.  I used denatured because it's not worth wasting good bouron!
"90% of all carburetor problems are electrical"
Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2018 at 12:50pm
All this makes me wonder just how much material there is to be milled, on the bottom side of the head.
Was it cast with the same amount and then milled further or was the Supersonic cast with the same amount at the revised thickness?
How thick does it need to be before it starts being likely to crack?
Didn't someone make an 8/1 aluminum head?
1946 CJ2A 14098
autolite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote autolite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2018 at 10:03pm
Believed it was called a Hickey Head.
willys jeep
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2018 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by Bill2A Bill2A wrote:

All this makes me wonder just how much material there is to be milled, on the bottom side of the head.
Was it cast with the same amount and then milled further or was the Supersonic cast with the same amount at the revised thickness?
How thick does it need to be before it starts being likely to crack?
Didn't someone make an 8/1 aluminum head?

The head on my Jeep engine CC's at 73 cc. It is a milled stock ribbed Willys head.

I had another that was nearly stock and about 10 cc more in volume. The 73cc head is in my (kinda) stock L134 and it runs like a top.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2018 at 11:05pm
I have 2 complete super sonics, according to the number the one in the picture came from a 1952 Henry J, I swapped the intake and carb to the correct one for the jeep, it runs good still have a few carburetor issues though. 

Edited by leecarr - 11 Aug. 2018 at 11:07pm
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2018 at 6:07pm
Reading this thread - is it correct to conclude by changing to the Supersonic head, a standard L134 will go from 62 hp to 68 hp at Sea Level?
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2018 at 2:14am
If the internals of the engine are up to snuff, just increasing the compression ratio should give the added HP.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2018 at 2:27am
Oh Yea!  I have a Supersonic head on my running spare engine!  The Saint just might go Supersonic at some point.
Stev
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2018 at 3:39am
Originally posted by Stev Stev wrote:

Reading this thread - is it correct to conclude by changing to the Supersonic head, a standard L134 will go from 62 hp to 68 hp at Sea Level?

You would most likely need the intake and larger "YF" Carburator to get the full "SuperSonic" advantage!

Lee
               LEE
49 2A
67 M715
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2018 at 1:24pm
Lee,

That would require some research.  The WO Carb float is orientated so the float works when the Jeep is climbing.  I don't know anything about the YF.  Or how it would work. 
Stev
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2018 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by Stev Stev wrote:

Lee,

That would require some research.  The WO Carb float is orientated so the float works when the Jeep is climbing.  I don't know anything about the YF.  Or how it would work. 

I did not consider that!, valid point but the increase in HP of the supersonic is by way of the complete setup!, not sure the head alone is worth 8 hp..... most likely of more value at Bonneville than Pikes Peak! and I've done Pikes Peak stock! and pushed the speed limit going up

Lee
               LEE
49 2A
67 M715
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2018 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by Lee (MN) Lee (MN) wrote:

I did not consider that!, valid point but the increase in HP of the supersonic is by way of the complete setup!, not sure the head alone is worth 8 hp..... most likely of more value at Bonneville than Pikes Peak! and I've done Pikes Peak stock! and pushed the speed limit going up

Lee

Doesn't count because your jeep has been infused with special jeep magic that only people from Minnesota have access to that makes it the fastest stock Willys every.  Tongue
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2018 at 6:59pm
Dad's jeep is one of the fastest stock jeeps I have ever seen

I don't know if this means anything or not. Back when I had my '45 2A "Arizona", I noticed that it had significant power compared to GW. At the time, I didn't know what a supersonic head was. Jeep had stock carb and Supersonic head. In a conversation with Louie Larson 10 years ago, he suggested milling .100 off of a stock head to get more power but he also mentioned that the engine may run hotter.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
TateC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TateC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2018 at 9:53pm
What ever happened to Arizona anyway?  Sorry to sidetrack this thread.
Tate Christensen
1941 Ford GP #9687
1943 Willys MB #263100
1944 Ford GPW #234613
1945 Willys CJ2A #10226
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2018 at 10:46pm
You can get a L head to have a lot of power. We could outrun F heads but we could never manage to keep the oil in the beast.
uncamonkey
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2018 at 12:42am
Originally posted by Unkamonkey Unkamonkey wrote:

You can get a L head to have a lot of power. We could outrun F heads but we could never manage to keep the oil in the beast.

I for the most part agree! , I spent much time "Going SuperSonic" and after considering the "Little Gain" and a trip to Colorado, I decided I would rather have the stock reliability! ..... I do not believe Dads Jeep is the fastest I'm probably willing to push more than most, but I will say the fresh engine last year is now "Broke Inn", so keep an eye in your rear view mirror, I may be coming! ...... Great fun these old Jeeps!, the good people that come with them are the absolute best!, 4 weeks to Flatfender Mecca and I'm growing impatient!

Lee
               LEE
49 2A
67 M715
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2018 at 2:15am
Reliable is good. I have had my 3B with the V6 for well over 30 years. A few times in the coldest part of the winter I would head out and my work van would not start. Jeep thing starts and runs at the coldest temps. I thought about calling in to say that I can't make it to work. They knew that my Jeep would start and I could jump start the van. Durn thing...
uncamonkey
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12