Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grampa's Cj2a

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 40>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2016 at 7:33pm
Sure is pretty. There are NOS steel versions out there if that one doesn't work with your skidplate.
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2016 at 10:06pm
Stan, the SD Highway dept. will thank you for helping chip and seal the roads! Wink That's a pretty good sizd leak. Should be able to wipe it off, lay there with a flashlight, and find it. John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2016 at 11:10pm
It's coming from the pan. Hopefully the new pan will fix it. I was trying to get it sealed up for the Black Hills. Maybe I'll have to go to Napa and get a couple gallons of gear oil to keep me going for the week.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2016 at 3:26am
That new pan looks awesome
Make sure and put rtv on the pan bolts.
Have fun at the BHR
Wish I could make it
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2016 at 11:17am
Has it always been leaking, or did you crash on something?
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2016 at 3:25pm
It started leaking as soon as I installed it, but I think the main leak was the rear seal. It was getting so that I couldn't get the park brake to hold much of anything. I could see a little seep from the pan so I figured that while I was under there and all the oil was out I would fix that too. Not looking like such a hot idea right now.

We have a family reunion this weekend and my wife, daughter and I are going to the Grand Canyon next week so I only have Monday and Tuesday to sort this all out for th Black Hills the next week.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2016 at 12:15am
Had a great family reunion this past weekend. Learned a lot about my grandpa who had this Jeep. Now it's time to get back to work and get ready for the Black Hills run.
Crawled under the Jeep and dry fit my new aluminum transfer case pan and then put the skid plate on just to see if it would fit. It looks like everything is okay so I'm going to button it up and bolt on the skid plate. Here's a couple of pictures of the dry fit.

You can see here that it clears the skid plate baby about 3/4 of an inch.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2016 at 2:34am
I know I could just look it up but it is easier to ask LOL  (...and I'm not sure if you mentioned it before)  Does it hold more fluid?

Edit: Nevermind I went back a page and read when you picked it up. Embarrassed

Edited by berettajeep - 14 June 2016 at 2:36am
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2016 at 2:41am
From Novak's website:

This extended capacity, billet bottom pan is the answer to a few Dana transfer case dilemmas. Its rigid construction replaces the thin, warped factory pans virtually assuring a drip-free seal and adds rigidity to the transfer case. Extended depth increases fluid capacity of the Dana transfer case by about 16 oz. extending the life of components within. The pan is made of corrosion resistant 6061 aluminum and then anodized clear for further protection.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2016 at 4:14am
Wow that looks great!
The added oil capacity is a good safety for an over-drive as well I'm sure.
Hmm now I want one

Grandpas jeep has all the cool stuff, Go Pro...lockers...duals...and PATINA

Edited by Flatfender Ben - 15 June 2016 at 4:19am
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2016 at 6:50am
Thanks Ben,
Took my grandson out for a little ride. Climbed a dirt pile at the nearby construction site. Upon return, no leaks so far. Yeah!

Edited to add "no" before "leaks". Man, two letters can sure make a difference.

Edited by smfulle - 15 June 2016 at 6:52am
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug. 2016 at 5:20am
A few weeks back while unloading Grampa's Jeep in Colorado for The Northern Colorado Mountain Run I noticed that one of the lockout hubs had a big old chunk missing out of it.

Don't know when or how this happened, but I had a week of wheeling ahead of me with no spare hub, so I took some duct tape and wrapped it up. Put about ten layers of tape on it then drove it for the week, including some pretty hefty climbing in Poughkeepsie Gulch. No troubles at all.

I've decided to give up the lock outs and go back to drive flanges. Got some in today (thanks Lee!), put them in the blast cabinet and splashed some paint on them. I'll run down to the hardware store tomorrow and get some bolts, get them bolted on so that I am ready for a little family trip this weekend to Southern Utah.

We're headed to Sand Hollow state park where there are some pretty big sand dunes along with slick rock to climb. I'm going to use the opportunity to test out my dual wheel set up on the sand.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug. 2016 at 1:08pm
Stan, don't throw anything out of your lockouts. I have a set of those if you are interested in more. I'm going to be at the FCT next month---------hint.Wink John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
swmoboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swmoboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug. 2016 at 1:14pm
Main items for your emergency tool kit, Duck tape, old wire hangers and a three pound hammer.  
1947 CJ2a #155307
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2017 at 12:34am
I thought I should move my tinkering from the thread I had in photos and Stories
https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/grampas-jeep-gets-a-little-bent_topic40465.html
back here to my build thread,

For those that haven't been following along, I took a nap behind the wheel while driving on I80 in Wyoming on my way back from the Bkack Hills Run. You can read all babout it in the thread above.

After getting things together enough and going on a fun but grueling run on the Rubicon Trail at the end of July, I took a break from the jeep to just rest up a while. I'm now starting back into getting some more things fixed that were broken in the accident and on The Rubicon. If you missed our trip to the Rubicon, you can read about it and look at pics and videos here, https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/vintage-willys-the-rubicon-trail-2017_topic38398.html

First up, the windshield. Mine got broken and twisted in the accident. Jpet had this windshield that Ralph gave him and told him "find it a good home." Apparently I qualify, so he offered it up to me and brought it out to the Rubicon. We didn't take time to try and fit it there so I'm working on it now.

When I first put it up on the jeep, the angle was way off. I didn't have the glass in it and the steering wheel stuck through it about 5 inches. Forgot to take a picture, sorry..
I used a ratchet strap to bend the arms a little at a time until I got it pretty close.

I had bent the arms to get the angle on the windshield right, but now it wouldn't quite come back enough to where I could get the buckles on, at least I didn't think I could. I couldn't tell for sure because my buckles are twisted or missing from the wreck. So now I needed to straighten out the curve in the lower part of the arms so they would reach a little farther. I used the porta power and jpet's c-clamp contraption to do that.

It worked pretty well and I think that when I get my new buckles it will snug right up.

Another problem I had with this windshield frame is that the tube was rushed out right in the curve where the gasket has to fit and be screwed down to make the curve.

I wasn't sure what to do with it. After some pondering, I put my Bubba hat on and dragged out the welder. Before trying to weld on this thin rusty stuff, I decided I needed a little solid metal to stick my welds to so I grabbed a few washers and tacked them into the hole.

After getting the washers tacked in I just started gobbing on the weld. I built it up, then ground it down, then gobbed some more on then ground it down until I ended up with this.

Looks worse than it is in this close up photo. Anyway, I screwed the gasket on and I think it will be fine.

I also figured out why my headlight kept kicking off the breaker in the switch. The was a problem with one of the sockets in my brand new genuine imitation NACO tail lights. Got that fixed and a new turn signal switch installed so now my lights are road worthy again.

Thanks to Jeff and Ralph for the windshield!

Edited by smfulle - 14 Jan. 2018 at 5:36pm
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2017 at 12:39am
thanks for the update Stan
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2017 at 12:16am
Always great to see updates on Grandpas Jeep Clap
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2017 at 12:33am
For future reference, when you tack a washer in like that it's no longer a washer... the correct term is "filler metal", lol... Wink

Perfectly acceptable 'round these parts-
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 40>