Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grampa's Cj2a

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 40>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2017 at 3:10am
Did a little more work today. I got the inner windshield in. I'm pretty happy with how this windshield from Jeff and Ralph looks on Grampa's Jeep. It's not a perfect match but a nice patina none the less.

I also pulled the crossmember that got bent up on the Rubicon and replaced it with one that got bent on the Grizzly Lake trail last year during Fall Color Tour. I managed to straighten it out pretty well with the Porta-power and the Jpet c-clamp contraption. At the same time I flattened out the skid plates that were bent up. I had a single that was bent at a Grizzly Lake, and a double skid plate that I bent on the Rubicon. I decided if two skid plates are better than one, then three must be better yet. 

Bent cross member.

Here's the triple skid plate.

One issue I'm trying to figure out is how to attach this latch handle to the windshield. What kind of screws are used for this? The ones on the windshield are broken off and my other windshield had a bubba modification. Is it a threaded hole? Or is it a sheet metal screw?

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
RSR_MK View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSR_MK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2017 at 1:36pm
Stan,

My best example of what the factory did

Sheet metal screws. 

Mike
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2017 at 4:37am
Putting the windshield latch on hold for now. The hinges seem to hold it pretty tight and the repop latch I bought looks like it won't even hold it tight. Cry

I did another little project tonight that I found oddly satisfying.

Because I occasionally follow Jpet around, he leads me onto "trails" that a fat old guy like me would not normally find himself on. Big smile  This wandering off the smooth track has been tough on my license plate that hangs in the stock rear bumper location.

On our Rubicon trail trip the license plate was torn all the way off.
Since I moved the spare tire to the rear, I thought I would move the license plate to the spare tire. I looked online to a few commercially produced license plate holders. Most of them seemed pretty simple for the price they were asking so I thought I'd take crack at making something with stuff I already had.

Started out with these angle irons that I bought for another project but didn't end up using.

I opened up the top hole to fit over the studs on the spare carrier.

I cut the top leg of the angle iron down, then I got some perforated metal strap and cut it to size. I then bend the strap at an angle to fit on the top leg of the angle so they would reach the bolt holes in the license plate frame I bought using the tool I have used the most to in recent times, my 3 pound sledge, and my vice.

I also cut some perforated strap for the bottom of the plate frame then dry fit it all up to make sure everything lined up.

Put the plate on and tighten everything up. Seems to be pretty solid. I'm very happy with how it turned out.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2017 at 4:33am
Why not just mount it on a hinge in the original location? 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2017 at 5:22am
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

Why not just mount it on a hinge in the original location? 

Never thought of that, but truthfully I don't think a hinged plate would avoid that much damage. A lot of the damage comes when dropping off of a step or shelf. A hinge wouldn't have time to swing when the action is a fast drop onto the edge of the plate.

An interesting idea though.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Bufordjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bufordjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2017 at 11:50am
Would you consider posting a shot of the back end of your Jeep after the accident?  It really turned out great!  Incentive for me to pound out some dents on mine...
Thanks
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2017 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by Bufordjeep Bufordjeep wrote:

Would you consider posting a shot of the back end of your Jeep after the accident?  It really turned out great!  Incentive for me to pound out some dents on mine...
Thanks

I've posted most of these in the Grampa's Jeep gets bent thread. 

Here's some before and after shots. Remember that I am a crap welder and that I was going for function over form with this. No new metal except welding wire was used.

Shot from the rear at the tow yard before my cousin rescued it.

My cousin backing it off of the trailer into the garage. Amazingly enough it backed off under it's own power.

This is an in-progress shot where I have the porta-power in place stretching the sides back out from their rolled in position. You can also see the terrible condition of the tail light panels.

Here's a shot of the left tail light panel after i finished my sketchy flattening and welding job.

Here's the right tail light panel. Trying to weld on rust thinned metal is very difficult, especially when you can't weld for beans on perfectly clean and bright new metal.

Here's a wide shot of the rear before I fit the tailgate back in.

And finally, with the tail gate installed. The tail gate was potato chip shaped after the accident. I flattened it out with a combination of running over it with my truck and squeezing it with the porta-power c-clamp gizmo that jpet made for me.

i realize that driving a jeep with the blemishes that Grampa's Jeep is left with would not be for everyone, but I am actually quite proud of my spotty welding and wrinkled body panels. 

I had all but given up on saving Grampa's Jeep as an  original body survivor, but the people on this forum gave me strength and courage to take it on and I am grateful.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
aboyandhisdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2017 at 4:04pm
Stan, I saw you in a UNC shirt on the Rubicon trip.  Did you go to UNC?
Tom
1949 CJ3A

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2017 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by aboyandhisdog aboyandhisdog wrote:

Stan, I saw you in a UNC shirt on the Rubicon trip.  Did you go to UNC?
My daughter is in a masters program at University of Northern Colorado. Most of her work is done via the internet (she lives here in Northern Utah), but she had to go to the campus for a week this summer and she brought me a t-shirt.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2017 at 4:51pm
I wondered about the UNC shirt as well. I think there at least 2 of them.
uncamonkey
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2018 at 5:45am
Last year I broke the front passenger drive axle. I replaced the broken axle and continued to ride. I didn’t discover it at the time, but when the axle broke and I drove off the hill with the broken bits rolling around inside the knuckle it banged the knuckle cup on the end of the axle tube out of shape. I discovered it just before our trip to the Rubicon last summer but chose not to fix it right then.

I continued to drive on lots of rides with the lumpy knuckle knowing that someday I would have to replace the axle housing.

I had the king pin bearing go bad on that same side recently giving me a wobbly front passenger wheel, so that time is now.

I found a used d25 not far from home and didn’t have to give too much for it. Pulled it apart and found that all the bearings need replacement.

I’m a little disappointed that the drive axles are aweird type of axle called a tracta axle. I’ve learned that they are not as reliable as the more common types. I guess I’ll reuse the axles out of my current set up.

I got most of my parts in so I guess I better get to work.

Tonight I cleaned up the housing and got the new bearings on the pinion. I installed the pinion and the new inner seals. Those were a bit of a pain to get in without mangling them.  I pulled The differential apart. I’m going to move the Lock Right out of my current axle to this new one.

Edited by smfulle - 14 Jan. 2018 at 2:37am
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2018 at 6:42am
I see you bought the axle u-bolt skid plates.  I’m thinking I’ll buy a set also.  Are they built pretty stout, would you recommend buying?
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
captianpattson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captianpattson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2018 at 7:38am
Looking great Stan. You're my inspiration!
'49 CJ2A in fewer pieces than before
My Build Thread
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2018 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by Rick G Rick G wrote:

I see you bought the axle u-bolt skid plates.  I’m thinking I’ll buy a set also.  Are they built pretty stout, would you recommend buying?

Rick, these things seem really stout. I bought a set for the rear as well. After watching Lumpy break all his u-bolts on the Rubicon I decided I needed to do something. I was going to go with an angle iron slider thing, but someone here pointed these out on eBay and the price was good and easier than making my own. We’ll see for sure on the Rubicon, but I think I would recommend them.

Originally posted by captianpattson captianpattson wrote:

Looking great Stan. You're my inspiration!

When is your rig going to be ready for action? I’m taking my wife to run a half marathon in Vegas Feb 16. Trying to de ide if it’s worth dragging my Jeep down to St George on the way to maybe hit a few trails in Sand Hollow on Monday morning. If you said you’d be there I would do it for sure.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2018 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by Rick G Rick G wrote:

Rick, I've had these for years with no issues at all.  Of course, I don't drive where you do exactly, but after seeing Lumpy's issues on Rubicon, I sure am glad to have them...4 fewer things to worry about!
Tom
1949 CJ3A

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2018 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by aboyandhisdog aboyandhisdog wrote:

Of course, I don't drive where you do exactly, but after seeing Lumpy's issues on Rubicon, I sure am glad to have them...4 fewer things to worry about!

Well Tom, isn't that a bit like putting 40 inch tires on a JK and only driving it at the mall? Wink

Come on out to the Rubicon and get some scratches on those skid plates. 
Or maybe there might be some guys that sneak back to The Camp 5 "trails" during the Black Hills Run. 

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2018 at 4:35pm
Oh, the red rascal sees plenty of rocks, Stan!  But I'm not the mechanic you guys are - to do some of the repairs you've had to make could set me back big time.  Besides, Ma says not to hang out with bad boys like you!  LOLWink

A few years ago (at the FCT) we were coming down the back of Tincup - that really rocky stretch - and the guy behind me (might have been Terry, but not sure) had a rock jump up and bend the crap out of his front U-bolt.  He had to cut it off to change it.  No big deal, but that issue will never happen on my jeep.  And soon, you won't have to worry about it either.
Tom
1949 CJ3A

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2018 at 12:15am
I got a few things done on Thursday evening, with the idea that I would get up today (Saturday) and really hit it. Instead I woke up with a nasty cold and am trying to sleep it off today and maybe tomorrow with the Monday holiday as a big work day for me.  Confused

I did get the “new” housing cleaned up and painted

I got the old housing all stripped down and ready to unbolt from the springs.

Got the two diffs on the bench, getting ready to swap the Lock Right over to the new diff. I still need to get the new bearings on the new diff as well.

Looking at these pics, I’m a little embarrassed at how messy I am.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 40>