Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grampa's Cj2a

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 40>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2019 at 5:18am
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

It helps that the shock is on an angle so even though the pin might be a couple inches higher, your not actually loosing 2” of shock travel.

One of the hundreds of reasons I love having Jeff as a friend. He can do geometry, or is that trigonometry, or physics or something that a History major just doesn’t understand. My last math class was 1977. 7th graders in the school I work at ask me questions about their math and I have to pass. Confused

Originally posted by chasendeer chasendeer wrote:

I see links and coils coming soon!! Lol!!

Now you’re just talking crazy stuff. 

Edited by smfulle - 26 Jan. 2019 at 5:20am
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2019 at 4:05am
Hey Stan

How's the rebuilt distributor doing?

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2019 at 4:20am
Originally posted by russnj russnj wrote:

Hey Stan

How's the rebuilt distributor doing?

Hey Russ,
Haven't run it much except down to tbe local construction site, but so far i am very happy with it.
If the weather cooperates, next weekend I'm going to run down to Sand Hollow in Southern Utah and give it a trst on some slick rock so stand by for some real life feedback.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2019 at 9:48pm
While many if you are busy doing amazing work, I’m busy proving that my fab skills are feeble but sometimes adequate for small projects.

Next week I’m heading down to Southwest Utah to a place called Sand Hollow to do a little scouting for a trip later this spring. Sand Hollow is one of those places that requires a flag on your vehicle. Usually I just bolt my flag on the draw bar like this.

A couple of times in the past I have slightly bumped the draw bar on a rock shelf that I have driven off. I thought that maybe I should find another spot so I didn’t mash up the nut and threads under the draw bar on the off chance that I bump it again.

So I used my great drilling and grinding skills to make this little bracket out of angle iron.

Since I have my tailgate bolted shut to reduce rattles, I just piggybacked this bracket on the tailgate tab with the bolt. I made the bracket long enough to press against the body so that hopefully it won’t spin from the weight of the flagstaff.

So now the flag stands up tall like this.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2019 at 10:15pm
Stan,   
    Great idea and the new part even matches the patina on your jeep! 
Regards,
Dave
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2019 at 10:18pm
Looks alright to me Stan.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2019 at 12:06am
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

....Next week I’m heading down to Southwest Utah to a place called Sand Hollow to do a little scouting for a trip later this spring......
That sounds so cool! I'm so jealous

The flag looks good Stan!
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
TateC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TateC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2019 at 1:50am
Look at that beautiful big shop. Oh and nice job on the bracket. 
Tate Christensen
1941 Ford GP #9687
1943 Willys MB #263100
1944 Ford GPW #234613
1945 Willys CJ2A #10226
aboyandhisdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2019 at 2:18am
Stan, does that topper hoist lift the topper with just one cord?  Is that a store-bought setup or did you devise it yourself?  I like it!
Tom
1949 CJ3A

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2019 at 5:59am
Originally posted by TateC TateC wrote:

Look at that beautiful big shop. Oh and nice job on the bracket. 

Thanks.
 That “shop” is not as big as it looks. Don’t get me wrong, it’s way more than I have ever had and I’m very thankful for it, but it’s a 3 car garage with the 3rd bay being extra deep. Two bays are filled up with my wife’s and my daughter’s cars. 
I get deep third bay. I can get my Jeep and my F150 in there if I pull the Jeep all the way up. When I’m working on the Jeep, the pickup is outside in the weather.

Originally posted by aboyandhisdog aboyandhisdog wrote:

Stan, does that topper hoist lift the topper with just one cord?  Is that a store-bought setup or did you devise it yourself?  I like it!

When I bought the rooftop tent I bought the kit in the link below so I would have a way to store the tent. I wrecked my truck and the tent before I installed the kit in the garage. My next truck came with the topper but I find I don’t like it on there most of the time. I already had the kit so I put it up and it works really nice for the topper. It does work on a single rope pull. There is kind of complicated system of ropes and pulleys that makes it a pretty easy pull at that.

Edited by smfulle - 10 July 2019 at 3:16am
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
47heater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47heater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2019 at 5:19am
Reading thru your build did you also install a Powertrax Lock right locker in the rear? If So, how do you like it? I just bought one for the front & haven't decided about what to install in the rear 44. I don't need to spend extra for bells & whistles that I don't need. Thanks
Fltfndr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2019 at 5:42am
I had one of the last 10 spline Detroit Lockers in my 2A, sold it to BW when I went to full floaters and 30 splined axles. If you are still 10 spline, yo may be limited to Lock Right.
Fltfndr
1948 CJ2A Restomod "Six Pac"
The object of war is not to die for your country, but make the other bastard die for his. George S. Patton
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2019 at 6:09am
Originally posted by 47heater 47heater wrote:

Reading thru your build did you also install a Powertrax Lock right locker in the rear? If So, how do you like it? I just bought one for the front & haven't decided about what to install in the rear 44. I don't need to spend extra for bells & whistles that I don't need. Thanks

I have Lock Right lockers in both stock axles. I have zero experience with other lockers, but I am very happy with the performance of my Lock Rights.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2019 at 3:33am
I am very disappointed with this crossmember. It is only 70 or so years old and I barely brushed it on a rock a time or two and it just went to pieces. Wink

(Jeff tried to do a field fix it for me with his little portable stick welder kit but he was short on electrodes from a rescue two days before. Here’s a link to the story on Facebook.

Here’s the the pictures of the poor crossmember that couldn’t hold up to some slight bumping.
You can see that Jeff sacrificed one of his Allen wrenches to try and stitch it together on the trail.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2019 at 3:46am
Wow Stan! Your right, you should check with jeep to see if it is still under warranty! LOL But I think you have gotten your monies worth out of it....

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2019 at 4:46am
Originally posted by russnj russnj wrote:

Wow Stan! Your right, you should check with jeep to see if it is still under warranty! LOL But I think you have gotten your monies worth out of it....

When you get to do this, busting something once in a while is worth it.

Here’s an Instagram video of me driving out on the Top Of The World.  If you watch the video, be sure and turn on the sound.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2019 at 4:51am
It’s pretty apparent that Novak aftermarket transfer case pan was just too much for your stock jeep.Wink
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2019 at 5:53am
Stan if you need a new one let me know. Will send for the price of shipping I have a few. 
Jay
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 40>