Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grampa's Jeep crosses the stream

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grampa's Jeep crosses the stream
    Posted: 30 May 2017 at 8:58am
After our trip to the cemetery on Memorial Day, We decided to get in our jeeps and go up the canyon and have a cookout. We found this little stream crossing that was pretty cut out and we just had to give it a try.

At first it was just me and Grampa's Jeep that went across and back, but then the other jeeps got all feeling ashamed that such an old, ancient and obsolete machine could do that and they weren't even going to try it. So here's the video. I didn't get any pictures of our first crossing, so the first jeeps you see are not flat fenders. My apologizes for that. Sometimes jpet just can['t be bothered to come dear to Utah for a milk run up the canyon for a picnic. 

Anyway, I managed to find a little challenge.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 9:39am
Its brilliant watching old iron leave newer stuff behind.

Makes you think what would you ever want to modify one
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 9:46am
As we were sitting around eating our tin foil dinners (we call them hobo dinners, is that a Utah thing?) some guys on motorcycles came by and said that a jeep was stuck in a mud bog that we had had to come through to get to our picnic spot. So Grampa's Jeep rushed to the rescue.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 9:47am
Nice video, Thanks Stan.
Several years ago we did Holy Cross City again and got to French Creek. About 20 people out there telling me where to steer. Sorry, I been driving this 3B since around 1982. Just stay out of my way. I had to find a place to turn around to winch my friend off of the rock he was sort of high centered on in his Nissan PU. It sort of looked like a turtle stuck on a flat rock.
All part of the fun.
uncamonkey
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

As we were sitting around eating our tin foil dinners (we call them hobo dinners, is that a Utah thing?)

Don't know what yours has in it but in Boy Scouts years ago we used to call them Hamburger a la Foil . (hamburger patty, potatoes, onion and carrots)

Still fix one every now and then over the backyard fire.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 10:12pm
Ha! Rockin' awesome! Grandpa's Jeep made the round fenders feel silly in Moab, I don't see why Idaho would be any different!

Thx 4 posting!
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 11:58pm
Yep, years ago I was pulling apart the V6 in the 3B. I found a can of soup on the back of the manifold. I wondered how long it had been there?
uncamonkey
flatfender47 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatfender47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 1:02am
Just some friendly advice...
Don't ever pull another vehicle out using your reverse gear.
It is the weakest gear inside your transmission.
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 1:59am
I like friendly advice.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 2:17am
I'm sure your success with negotiating bogs and streams has to do with the shape of the headlights...rectangular headlights just don't look right on a jeep...

Just kidding...I'm sure it is the skill and experience of the driver...

You da' man, Stan! Thanks for the video...

Edited by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A - 31 May 2017 at 2:19am
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Post Reply Post Reply