Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grampa's Jeep gets a little bent.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 17>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grampa's Jeep gets a little bent.
    Posted: 28 June 2017 at 4:42am
Those of you that have been following the Black Hills Run thread know that I had a little accident on the way home from South Dakota. My truck and trailer are a total loss and if Grampa's Jeep was a normal vehicle it would be a write off too. My brother and cousin got it back from Wyoming for me. Here's a walk around showing the damage, at least what's visible. I'm not in any shape to do more than look at it right now, but I am pondering the future of Grampa's Jeep.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2017 at 4:56am
Heck Stan, That'll buff right out! At least you didn't bend up the license plate this time.. Ouch
You're a guy who "owns his own sh!t" and we'll see you and grandpa soon. Muley..

Edited by RICKG - 28 June 2017 at 5:01am
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2017 at 5:23am
Glad you're ok! I was watching jpet's videos on YouTube of you guys tearing up the rock trails. I came here to find the thread with pictures, and instead saw this.

You've had more fun with grandpa's Jeep in the past couple years than most people do in their lifetimes. The thrill should live on. I'm happier to see a wrecked Jeep because it was traveling from a wheeling event, rather than rotting in the ground or locked in a garage. Good luck to your future repairs and heal well. I hope to get the submarine Jeep out that way and wheel with you.

Edited by Nick_ - 28 June 2017 at 5:30am
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2017 at 6:35am
Shocked Cry

Hope everyone is okay.

Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2017 at 7:36am
Stan, that's a goody. Machines can be rebuilt easy as long as everyone involved is ok.

Adrian
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2017 at 10:37am
What a heart breaker. I've been following you and Grampa's Jeep adventures for some time. 

Glad you are ok. 

The old gal must be rebuilt! Once you feel better we need to get 'er back in shape.
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2017 at 11:33am
Stan, sorry to hear about the misfortune hopefully the frame and drivetrain are ok...then it's just a matter of a little(Oh boy!) body work. If it's any consolation my "family" jeep survived a building collapsing on it in a tornado in 1956. Story goes all the vales, keepers, springs ect. where on a shelf unmoved. If you have insurance it will help, but I'm sure Grandpas jeep will be back on the road.(probably before mine). Your pic's and vids helped me make it through my jeep being down. Thanks Joe Wadoyado
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2017 at 12:38pm
Stan, once the tub is off the frame you can make a final decision on what direction to go on your beloved Jeep. It hurts, but hey, you said it, "I'll be back in the saddle ASAP". 

From what I saw, you will need a good used tub, windshield, seats, and hood. I've seen project Jeeps that have what you need. Look for one with no title and reasonable. It would be nice to find one in Utah so you don't have a long haul. If any of our members have this lying around, and can get it to him, why not? I have a tailgate if you want it Stan!Wink It can and will be done. Oilly
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
baja 4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baja 4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2017 at 1:21pm
We have a 2a tub sitting here, not perfect, but not bad if you can use it. Also have a steering wheel in good shape. Once you feel like working on things, and have a plan, if you can use these, they're yours for free. Would be honored to help you and Grampas Jeep get back on the trail.
Ward
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2017 at 1:27pm
Stan,

Sorry to hear about the accident.  Wish you a speedy recovery.  The Jeep can be fixed.  Ogden, UT. might just be a place where a bunch of guys could get together for a build.

Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2017 at 1:37pm
Whoa sorry to hear of your accident, thank God no one was hurt bad! Any pics of the trailer and tow vehicle, while were all saddened by the carnage?
I am watching your previous videos as I type this.

As we used to say back in the '70s... KEEP ON TRUCKIN'

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2017 at 1:54pm
wow, sorry to hear,  and glad you are okay,   

Grampa's jeep just has a little more patina now!
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2017 at 3:33pm
Stan, hope you and yours are OK. That is what is important. Machinery can be replaced.

Put Grampa's Jeep grille on a different tub and keep on doing what you do best.

Keep us posted...we are all rooting for you.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2017 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by jeeper50 jeeper50 wrote:

Whoa sorry to hear of your accident, thank God no one was hurt bad! Any pics of the trailer and tow vehicle, while were all saddened by the carnage?

Highway patrol said they thought I rolled over twice. I only remember him knocking on the window to see if I was alive. They cut the roof and doors off to get me out.

For some reason my Photobucket links are acting up or I would repost the pics here, but you can see them in the Black Hills Run thread, page 33, scroll down a ways.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
pjensen641 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjensen641 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2017 at 3:40pm
As others have said, I very much enjoy watching your videos.  Its heartbreaking to think that something like this can happen to an irreplaceable family heirloom, but having it sit in a shed or field unused would be worse.

Indeed, like others have said, it could have been worse if you were harmed.  I've read many of your posts, and would say that you are one of the most genuine, positive, and helpful guys in the community.

I hope the frame and drivetrain are OK.  Perhaps you could find a spare Jeep, or at least body, to get something going for now and then be able to look in to repairing the original at your leisure?  A spare Jeep would always be useful for donor parts in the future when you get this one back up and running.  Just a thought.
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2017 at 4:01pm
Wow Stan, so sorry to hear of your accident. Glad you're still with us!! Wishing you a speedy recover for both yourself and Grandpa's Jeep.   
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

pvanweelden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pvanweelden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2017 at 4:19pm
Been following the Black Hills Run thread, looks like it was an amazing week, and the video of you wheeling this jeep on trail 5 is awesome. Sorry about your accident. Hope you heal up ok. 

Paul
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2017 at 4:32pm
What do you think Stan?  Is the sheet metal a lost cause?  I know how much it would pain you to lose that patina.

Tim
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 17>