Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grampa's Jeep gets a little bent.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 14151617>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2017 at 9:06pm
Now don't dent it when on the trail,
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
JohnB View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2017 at 3:27am
Stan, we have never met, but I feel I know you and GJ from all your postings. Just want to say that whether we have a little work to do on our jeeps or a ton of work, what you have just done is an inspiration to all of us to get our jeeps completed and on the trails. Thanks!  John
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2017 at 4:33am
Alright, so when is Jay Leno going to interview you?
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2017 at 4:34am
I wanted to tell everyone how grateful I am for the kind words. The encouragement and praise I have received here has really made a difference in my being able to get this going and done as well as I have.

When I first got back from the hospital and Grampa's Jeep was delivered to my garage I was quite depressed and ready to call it quits with Grampa's Jeep. I have zero previous experience with body work. My tools are limited and I just didn't know what to do. 

You all, and especially a couple of you (you know who you are) propped me up and gave me the confidence to know that I could take this on. The many tips, offers of parts, and cheers that I have been getting on a daily basis got me out of the chair and into the garage. 

I really feel like having Grampa's Jeep back on the trail is not just a win for me, but for everyone that has posted on this thread. Thank you!

NO REALLY, THANK YOU ALL!

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2017 at 5:42am
I knew you could do it, Stan.  Grampa's jeep looks great!

See you Sunday my friend.

P.S.  Drive safe!Wink
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2017 at 12:24pm
Stan, just got back from Bruce's run and checked in. Well done ! I am simply amazed. If folks saw that twisted Jeep in the before shot and now----------------they wouldn't believe it. Have fun with the bunch on the Rubicon. John   Thumbs UpThumbs Up
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Willy M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willy M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2017 at 12:46pm
Outstanding job on getting it back together and going.  What you've done is an inspiration for anyone.
Katiedid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katiedid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2017 at 3:41pm
Stan I don't want to derail your thread, but I hope what folks take away from this story isn't just your recovery and GJ's restoration, but let's hope no one else has to go through this.  It all started with an avoidable accident.  I hope you don't take this as dumping on you, I wouldn't do that.  This is just a cautionary tale.

I hope you enjoy the heck out of the Rubicon!  Well deserved.
Katiedid
48 CJ2A Waltzing Matilda
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2017 at 4:16pm
Katie,
Avoiding this result or worse for others is one of the main reasons I started this thread. I am grateful for my own safety and feel that I was especially, and undeservedly, watched over in this accident. It could have been much worse for me, and heaven forbid, for others innocent people traveling near me that morning. 
Therefore I feel an obligation to shout it out. DONT DRIVE DROWSY!!

I don't feel dumped on at all. Only grateful to be alive.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Red Willy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Willy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2017 at 4:32pm
Well said both Katie and Stan, this is a message that needs to be heeded. Have a great Rubicon trip Stan.
Glen
49 CJ3A
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2017 at 4:34pm
.Clap
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2017 at 2:28pm
Very Inspiring!! I would not have thought this was possible.

Great documentation and presentation of project progression.. This will be a very useful thread for future builders like me... The way you edited the photos with text and arrows was really helpful... I need photos like this to learn....

Some side by side comparison photos of 'before' and 'after' would be really cool to see.

Really great stuff!!

Thank you.
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2017 at 2:41pm
Hey! Good news. I found my Bretto made tool roll and all the tools too! I guess the salvage crew just picked stuff up and stuck it wherever. I was going through my recovery bag for this upcoming trip and there it was hiding with the tow strap and cone along. I always keep it in the tool box under the passenger seat. Everything that was in there was scattered in the accident. I found most of it in various random places in the boxes of misc. stuff that came hone from the wrecking yard with the jeep.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2017 at 4:41pm
nice!
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
Red Willy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Willy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2017 at 5:14pm
I guess the fire department / rescue squad / towing company took care of you in more ways than one. Clap
Glen
49 CJ3A
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2017 at 5:53pm
Cool! I'm sure our pal Bretto is thrilled as well!!Thumbs Up
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2017 at 6:22pm
Sweet!  Not only does that save the expense of replacing them, it means they are going with you on the Rubicon trip.  You won't have to rely only on the tool sets of other Jeeps, you'll have your own.  That's great news! 

I'm looking forward to great reports of GJ feats of fun along the Rubicon.  Hooray for Stan!!
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
V8 Willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V8 Willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2017 at 6:26pm
I will second that. Way to go Stan.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 14151617>