Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Greaseable front hubs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greaseable front hubs
    Posted: 24 May 2017 at 10:32pm
This mod will likely only work if you have discs on the front. I added a grease zerk to the outer hub and a grease relief valve on the inner hub. I had to mill out a small channel under the edge of the inner bearing race to give the grease a place to reach the relief valve.  The grease relief channel needs to be milled in inside the knock out point for the races.  If you look closely at the third picture you can see the milling relief in the knock out point.

Edited by 52 M38 - 25 May 2017 at 1:04am
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 5:39am
Will you have a drive flange or a lockout on the hub?  Won't a lockout get over-greased with that setup?  Just playing devil's advocate here.  Also, wouldn't it be easier to clean with the zerk on the inside end?
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 6:40am
I've thought about doing something like that in the past but it isn't that big of a deal to pull them apart so you can inspect things and do a repack of the bearings.
uncamonkey
52 M38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 11:24am
I am going to run original drive flanges again. The lockout hubs were where the water was getting in. I think it is unlikely that you could over lubricate the hubs. My axle shafts have threaded ends which makes assembly/disassembly more involved. I have to take the lockout hubs apart to get at the nut and cotter pin to get at everything else.

For drum brakes I agree you could put both the zerk and relief valve on the front, but it would then be difficult to know if the old grease is getting pushed out of the rear bearing. With the relief point on the complete opposite side the new grease is forced to travel to the inner bearing, unfortunately due to the inner seal design it is not possible to force the grease through the inner bearing like you can on the outer one.

I also may have to putt a couple of small notches/holes in the washers because they may fit too tightly in the hub to let the grease by. We shall see today as I do reassembly.
52 M38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2017 at 3:20pm
No mod to the washers was required. It functions as planned. Grease goes in the front, fills the whole hub, and the excess comes out the relief valve in the back. Should make services much easier.
 Post Reply Post Reply