Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grill Welt pliers tool program.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grill Welt pliers tool program.
    Posted: 26 Apr. 2016 at 4:23pm
Im not sure where this belongs so please move it if needed.

A few weeks ago I was about 20 bucks from the free shipping with Walcks so I added the special grill welt pliers.  Ive finished my grill and have no idea when I will ever need these again.  It is against my nature to sell a tool but I have no problem passing it around the CJ2A page.

Here is what I propose.  If you need to do the welting on your grill, send me a few dollars to cover shipping, and I will send them your way.  Then when you get done, either send them to me or you can become "the keeper of the tool"LOL  Post on this page that you have them and then send them to the next person who needs them.  

Let me know yalls thoughts.
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2016 at 5:17pm
Any chance you are coming to the Spring Willys Reunion in Effingham, IL May 20-21?
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
Ryan_289 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2016 at 6:43pm
Not going to make the Spring Reunion.  I do plan on attending the Fall Reunion again this year.
JohnB View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2016 at 8:28pm
Great idea. I could be ready to "borrow" them in a couple months!
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2016 at 10:22pm
I really like this idea! I will keep up with this thread so I can participate hopefully soon! 
Has anyone mounted the welt while the grill was off the jeep?
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
PapaC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PapaC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2016 at 7:44am
Originally posted by Rus Curtis Rus Curtis wrote:

I really like this idea! I will keep up with this thread so I can participate hopefully soon! 
Has anyone mounted the welt while the grill was off the jeep?

First I want to thank Ryan for his generosity. THAT USA MADE TOOL IS AMAZING!!!

Not long after this thread was started and just before I painted my grill I contacted him and true to his word he sent me the pliers....AND as equally as important as the tool this advice.

Quote Practice on a couple of rivets first.  Its a little tricky.  I found it easier to spread the ends out just a tad with a pair of needle nose pliers.  A quick clamp seems to work better than slow and steady pressure on making the rivet roll like its supposed too.

I painted my tub....fenders....GRILL!!!

Did a few practice rivets exactly per his instructions. It took me three tries to get it right but luckily with the welt they always send extra rivets!!!

]

Snug, tight
]

Perfect rolls on the backside....no scratches....

And will finish up tomorrow. (It's late and I'm tired)

Soooo

THANK YOU RYAN!!!

Those rivets are hard, stiff, and even with this tool it took me both hands and a grunt to squeeze them tight enough. Why fool with something home made when YOU can be the next user of this tool and do the job right.

I'm only going to keep it a week or so longer in the hopes that I can send it to YOU.

If nobody responds, then I'll send it back to Ryan so that it can start over.

And that ain't fair to him, having to run back and forth to the mail box and post office like that. Come on guys, somebody speak up. Who needs or thinks they're gonna need this tool next!!!

Just let us know and I'll get it in the mail to YOU!!!

Charles Tate

Edited by PapaC - 31 May 2016 at 9:36am
clayvt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clayvt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2016 at 10:56am
I will be painting my grille this week and could use the tool!
Contact via e-mail is easiest please!
PapaC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PapaC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2016 at 11:04am
GREAT. Email in the works!!
PapaC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PapaC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2016 at 9:44pm
Here's my finished Grill

After installing a few of the rivets I personally found it easier for me to do this

As you can see I spread them a little bit exactly like that before pinching them back enough to get them through the hole. In doing so I tried to break a little curve about half way of the split.

Maybe my squeeze just isn't what it used to be???

After getting the rivet in the hole I gently spread them back out and used the second groove in the channel lock tool to start the set. Then I re-set the tool in the first groove to completely tighten and set.

Tomorrow with Ryan's permission they'll be on the way to Clayvt who is painting a 48 cj2a that he has been working on off and on for 18 years!!

"I could use the plyers!
Im painting my body this week and have the welt kit standing by"!!

Per the agreement when he's through he'll post back here and if nobody speaks up soon he'll send them back to Ryan.

Charles

Edited by PapaC - 31 May 2016 at 9:47pm
PapaC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PapaC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2016 at 4:56am
UPDATE ON THE GRILL WELT PLYERS PROGRAM

as noted above when I finished with Ryan's grill welt plyers I posted here and got a reply from ANDREW....who goes by clayvt on this site.

Just tonight I got this email from him and I'll add it here.

The pliers worked as advertised. But I think I'm going to have to re-do the ones on the corners where there are two layers of metal. The rivets that came with the welt I got from Kaiser Willys were just a little too short to get really good expansion. I found a leather working place that sells the split rivets in different lengths. The pliers are currently being driven in a uhaul trailer along with the jeep to my home in New Mexico. I'll keep an eye on the thread for about 3 weeks and if no one else pops up I'll mail them back to Ryan.   Thanks again! Andrew

So, speaking for myself I was truly proud to be a part of this program. I don't know if it's worth noting or not but I ordered my kit from rfjpsales and had no problems with the length of the rivets on the sides where the grill has the double joints of metal and had quite a few rivets left over even after practicing on some.

If anyone else will be needing these soon.........as Andrew mentioned in his email now might be a good time to post here.

And if not....then Ryan they will soon be back in your hands.

Once again thank you for helping us out

Signing out now

Charles Tate

PS. Here's the link to EDIT: ANDREWS new build thread!!!

http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/48-2a-project-20-years-in-the-making_topic37865_post356666.html#356666

Edited by PapaC - 14 June 2016 at 4:58am
windyhill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windyhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2016 at 1:26pm
you guys are a bunch of Tools....Clap
'48 CJ2A
'53 CJ3B
'59 CJ6
'65 CJ5
'67 CJ5
Ryan_289 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2016 at 5:21pm
Both grills look great!  Im glad to see them getting used.  I hope someone else needs them soon!
clayvt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clayvt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2016 at 1:11am
Thanks again for the plier program! like previously mentioned I'll have the pliers for a few weeks. If nobody else needs them I'll mail them back to Ryan.

Here's a closer look at my welt. Like I mentioned the rivets were a touch short on the double metal flange. The welt kit came from Kaiser, I found a leather working place that has the rivets so I'm going to order them up and swap them out while I still have the pliers.

pa cj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pa cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2016 at 8:35pm
I would like to have them next please! Ill send you a PM
1946 CJ2a Super stocker, buick 225, Ford T18, D18
clayvt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clayvt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2016 at 2:00am
The pliers have been sent to PA CJ!
Lets keep this awesome program going!
gunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2016 at 3:52am
I'll get next in line- I won't need them for long. thanks
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2016 at 4:59am
Boy Howdy Clap
   Where are they now? I could use them, any time now, but will wait if that's what it takes. How far down the list am I?  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Red Willy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Willy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2016 at 1:24pm
Bruce, I have a set and unless I forget between now and Friday Smile I will bring them with me to your ride.
You can keep them and if you are done I can get them back at the FCT.

Glen
Glen
49 CJ3A
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>