Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gun mounts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gun mounts
    Posted: 26 Aug. 2017 at 3:42am
I recently acquired a long term lease on a farm that connects to my house.  This means the CJ2A will see plenty of pasture time checking cows etc.  Have any of y'all come with a gun mount that won't require too much bubbufication to work?  Will the MB mount fit up to my windshield and will it hold any modern style rifles?  I feel sure a mini 14 would fit, what about bolt action 22 mags or AR style rifles?
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2017 at 5:54am
Not with a scope from what I remember
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Willy M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willy M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2017 at 3:02pm
I've been thinking an old metal type gun rack that was held in with screws like we used keep in pickup back windows could be fitted up on the lower part of the windshield frame above the cowling.  Might only be room for one rifle there though.  I like to have my 357 Mag lever action with me when I'm running around the place and that would be a handy place to put one.  

In my old CJ5, I'd lean one between the drivers seat and the factory roll bar and hold it in with a canvas tie down strap wrapped around the gun and the bar.  
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2017 at 5:33pm
buy or make a gun sock style holster and strap it around the windshield bars. We do that on our 2a but its a M1 scabbard I found years ago. Another option is to get the velcro on behind the seat gun holders. 
46 2a
51 truck project named Karen
Willy M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willy M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2017 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by Schimms15 Schimms15 wrote:

Another option is to get the velcro on behind the seat gun holders. 

Hmm...    I might need to do a little research on those.  Sounds a bit more out of sight than my lower windshield framing idea.

jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2017 at 12:25am
I had a San Angelo brand rack that fit between the seats and held two rifles tilted back many years ago, I have seen a Kolpin brand two gun rack that fits between the seat recently on a buddies UTV so you might check into one of those.

look here

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug. 2017 at 7:52pm
Remembered seeing this in one of my references:
jaksjep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaksjep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug. 2017 at 3:33am
Made my own:  (My nickname is NOT Bubba!!)
1/2" electrical conduit, 2 - 11/2" fence post brackets, 4- 1/4" X 20 bolts +-5" long with nuts, 3/8" fuel line hose, a short bungee cord, and a piece of angled steel with all the holes in it that is bolted between the roll bar tubes with U-bolts!  Not very pretty, but it works.

My posts are my personal opinion and are not legal advice as I am not an attorney. If you act on any of my comments you do so at your own risk.
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug. 2017 at 12:34pm
Found this one!  I think the Thompson is a bit of overkill (pardon the pun) but it's an idea

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

TXtea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TXtea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep. 2017 at 5:24pm
I have one similar to what jeeper50 was talking about that I just pulled off my Jeep (see image below).  I'd be happy to let it go for free if you cover shipping.  It would need some new padding for the guns, but bubba had welded it to a piece of square rod and then welded it to the forward side of the fenders.  The square rod is still attached, but I can remove it before I send it if you don't want it.
Ryan
'48 CJ2A SN: 161039
Ryan_289 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2017 at 3:52am
thanks for the offer but I'm going to go a different route. I think I am going to rig up some straps for one of my floating style gun sleeves and strap it behind my seats.
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2017 at 3:54am
The Brits used a pair of spring clips to hold Enfields in their jeeps. In the pic below, a pair are mounted in the same place U.S. jeeps mounted the Universal rifle mount, but you can stick them almost anywhere.

you can get them here, down at the bottom of the page:

http://ww2fabrications.com/britishsaslrdg.htm

personally, I'm looking really hard at either this one or this one from Cabela's. I'm thinking to mount it on the rear floor right up between the front seats. It would be easily accessible, but out of the way for shifting, coffee, and general comfort.

Lol, they're the style that TXtea is showing, and I'd mount it in pretty much that spot. Ditto Jeeper50.

Edited by LesBerg - 25 Sep. 2017 at 5:38am
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
TXtea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TXtea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2017 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by LesBerg LesBerg wrote:

Lol, they're the style that TXtea is showing, and I'd mount it in pretty much that spot. Ditto Jeeper50.

Hey Les, let me know if you want it.  It's not pretty like the Cabela's ones, but it is functional.  I might be able to get cheaper shipping.
Ryan
'48 CJ2A SN: 161039
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2017 at 5:52am
Sure! I have to have my jeep ready for hunting season. I have 19 days before elk season starts and the motor is torn all the way down at the moment.

Can you PM me a close up picture of it? I can probably put together some leather pads for it.
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
 Post Reply Post Reply