Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Guns?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Guns?
    Posted: 14 May 2017 at 6:46pm
I need to get a feel about how people think about them on this site. Some hate them and some sleep with them. I just had to sell 2 to pay the bills.
A nice accurized M14 match rifle and a 45.70.
I won't miss the 45.70.
uncamonkey
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2017 at 6:56pm
People ask me, "Do you buy and sell Jeeps?" My answer is, "No, I don't sell any......."Big smile
It seems to be the same with guns........ Big smile   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2017 at 6:59pm
Guns?  Someone has guns???

Yep, sleep with a couple----one with shot shells and another with big lead flat noses.

But I think it depends a lot on where you are and that also influences what your favorite pastimes are. And I'll admit that I don't just shoot for fun.  Just to stay proficient with the tools I need when venturing places where you are not necessarily at the top of the food chain.  Which is everywhere around here these days. 
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2017 at 7:59pm
Pulled my first trigger at about 10yo, have owned a variety since about 16... coming up on 40 years ago now.  

They're nothing but a tool.  I tire of folks that are "scared" of them, and tire of the notion that were designed for killing so that's all they're good for.  I've fired thousands of rounds (tens of?) from a number of platforms and never had to point one at a person.  That conversation is a non starter for me.

Only sold a couple over the years, and those funds were put right back into top end archery gear...
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
binthere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote binthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2017 at 11:20pm
Some people are reckless with guns, some aren't, some are reckless with cars some aren't, some are reckless with booze some aren't, yada yada yada!!
chuck
1953 CJ3B "a fistfull of dollars"
1949 willys jeepster "a few dollars more"
and a few other retirement toys

Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2017 at 11:29pm
Some talk about them on the web, some do not!

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
1947-cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1947-cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2017 at 11:31pm
I don't care if someone else has them but don't want them around me.
To many bad things happen to people I know with them, I know
you hear about how the make you safer but what I have seen make
me see the other way. So be careful is all I can say.
RICH

1947 cj2a (Toy From Hell)
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 12:26am
Been a Shooter since I was 5 in 1963
Been a Reloader since I was 11 in 1968-69
Took my Hunters Safety class in 1972 (one of the very first offered in Oregon)
Been a Firearms owner since I was 14 in 1971-72 When the Boys club rifle team gave me a
Winchester model 121 and then they promptly disbanded I had no one to give the thing back to been on my gun rack ever since.
Been a Big Game Hunter since I was 11 (I turned 12 during the general season so I got to get my tag about 4 days early.
Been a Firearms Buyer since 1980 When I bought my first Pistol a Navy Arms Remington Model 1858 cap and ball revolver
Been a Concealed Handgun Permit holder since 1991 when Oregon changed its laws allowing permit for those not the Sheriff's buddy. I was involved in working with the people that wrote the new law and testified before the State Legislature on behalf of the bills.
Been a Firearms Collector, Hunter, Target shooter, and 2nd Amendment defender pretty much my whole adult life.
Been shot at 3 times only hit once and then only at extreme range for the shotgun so it didn't even break skin. These were all before I was 16 and involving neighbor kids. We all roamed the neighborhood hunting and shooting stuff from age 12 on. Farm Kids you know.

A firearm is a tool no more dangerous then a gallon can of gasoline or a Bic pen. It is the intent of the person behind the weapon that is the danger. As long as Murder is illegal what difference does the method make? Is a man poisoned by his wife not as dead as one shot by person holding a firearm? Is not the intent in the heart of the Murderer the same? Is some one killed by a texting teen age girl when she runs over a bicyclist as dead as someone shot on the street by accident by a police officer shooting at an armed suspect?

As an example the Pulse Night Club shooting killed 49 people The Happy Land Night club arson fire in NY NY killed 89 people.

I have used a firearm 3 times to defend life never had to fire a shot.

there you have my two cents

Edited by Mark W. - 15 May 2017 at 12:32am
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 12:36am
Deleted due to some bizarre dual post thing

Edited by Mark W. - 15 May 2017 at 3:01am
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 1:39am
Originally posted by Lee (MN) Lee (MN) wrote:

Lee

I think Lee nailed it.

Probably a good point for a handful of reasons.

Just an opinion.

Edit...This should not be misconstrued to be 'anti-gun' retoric.

Edited by rocnroll - 15 May 2017 at 1:48am
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 2:09am

Lee

uhm_uhm Thumbs Up
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 2:16am
Guns are just like cj2a's just cant seem to get enough of them.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 2:27am
Had a M1911 .45 caliber pistol in Vietnam along with a M16 rifle...still own a .45...always will...and yes, before you ask, they were used in combat...

...keep 'em pointed down range and no one gets hurt...
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 2:53am
I think I get the gist of how people feel about their guns.
Not to brag but I have every NRA medal I can get.
I take people out shooting and do train them in range safety.
I'll pop off a few rounds with a pistol and then just sit and watch.
When they are done, I pull out my old Marlin .22 and pick off the pieces that are left.
A few people are mad at me because I sold the M14 and now claim they wanted it. Perhaps they should have paid what it is worth rather than trying to low ball me?
I have more in the gun safe...
uncamonkey
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 3:42am
I'm at the age I tire of not discussing these things... I live in one of the bluest hell holes in the country, where the AG can create new law out of her own imagination, and no vote of mine ever really counts...

I'm past worrying about discussing guns...
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 5:03am
On a related note: I once worked with a fool who pawned a Freedom Arms .454 Casull for $150... and then couldn't pay the vig.  Lost a then-$1200 piece for lack of $15.00.  He was supposedly a really smart guy...
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 6:17am

Lee

Um Yeahh.
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 6:23am
For living in an RV, we have a decent collection. I just don't much talk about it on the interwebs because I'm fairly paranoid concerning my gov't.

My condolences on your M14. My Garand is my left arm - it was my grandfathers CMP competition rifle.

I just had Max Sheppard make a 'bent bolt' body for my MN 91/30 and it's a beautiful piece.  

I had it stamped 'Mosina' in Cyrillic. Thumbs Up
I know a lot of people consider it a POS and refer to it as "the garbage rod", but like any milsurp rifle, they're a gamble getting a good rifle. Mine shoots well and I enjoy it.

YMMV
Les
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>