Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hand controlls For CJ2A

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jannie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hand controlls For CJ2A
    Posted: 01 Nov. 2017 at 8:15pm
Please help I am lost
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2017 at 8:35pm
Stock CJ2A?

Foot starter located on the floor above the transmission shift lever.
Choke mounted on the dash just right of the dash light.
Throttle located just to the left of the dash light.
Dash light switch located just above the clutch peddle on the lower edge of the dash.
Head lights locate on the dash above the clutch.
Key switch located just left of the parking brake handle.
Governor (if installed) located just above the steering wheel on the dash board.
Heater control (if installed) attached to the lower dash above the transfer case.
Gear shift - long handle next to steering wheel
High / low range shift lever -passenger side shift lever
4 wheel drive shift lever - Middle lever.

So what are you trying to do?  Start the Jeep?  Is this your Jeep?

Revision to this post is in bold

Edited by Stev - 01 Nov. 2017 at 10:59pm
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Jannie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jannie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2017 at 8:57pm
As Usual I got my self in deep again and I depend on you guys to salvage me. I have a Neighbor that is the proud owner of a CJ2A which he drove when he was a small boy, and in his words "I did not play with it, I worked with it".  He was the most dedicated exerciser that I have ever seen, and holds an MBE in sport.  He was shot in the back by a robber and is now a paraplegic. I WANT HIM TO DRIVE THE CJ2A AGAIN.  I have converted his Jeep Cherokee to hand control which was a cinch because it is automatic with power brakes, and he undertakes  1500 kilo trips with it . I believe there is a brake  servo kit for the CJ2a so that this problem can be solved at a price. but now we come to the clutch. Remember the steering is not power assisted and he has to keep both hands as long as possible on the wheel. My vision is a small lever on the gear lever that will engage the clutch with vacuum from the inlet manifold. With an insecticide sprayer with a 20 X 150mm cylinder(seals reversed) ( for your resourceful Americans) 3/4 inch By 6 inch cylinder I can get 4 pounds force.  I am almost certain that if this is applied to my wife's Toyota Corolla with the clutch pedal return spring removed  it will disengage the clutch. Please help guys, how can I increase this vacuum. I have already considered the green ball that Volkswagen placed into their Golfs (rabbits) to assist their Brakes.
Please help I am lost
Jannie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jannie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2017 at 9:36pm
Sorry guys,
I seem to have confused the hH out of you.  This is a 9146 Jeep
Please help I am lost
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2017 at 10:05pm
Jannie,

I don't know what to tell you.  The CJ2A is a pretty manual vehicle.   You might be better off buying a John Deere Gator and just letting him enjoy it.  You will have months into converting the Willys into something that will be only marginally usable and will be of no value to anyone else after we are all gone.  I would encourage you to discuss it with him - he may not want you to destroy the 2A for him to use.

If I were going to undertake this project I would convert it to all electric.  Might start with a Prius as a parts and engine source.

All the best to you and your friend.
Stev 
Stev
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2017 at 10:56pm
Jannie - I am revising my first post.  I have the transfer case levers reversed.  The in and out of 4 wheel drive is the middle lever and the passenger side lever is the High and Low range.

Again, all the best to your and your friend.
Stev
Stev
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2017 at 11:29pm
I would recommend that power brakes and steering be installed. Both are well documented conversions.

For the clutch, I would consider an electric air compressor and a pneumatic cylinder. Done right, you'd essentially have a push-button clutch. It would need to be a stout cylinder, but it would be doable.

Does he know you're planning this? It would be a lovely surprise, but you're probably going to need his input to make this work.

How will he get into the vehicle? Is he going to get in the 'normal' way, or will he need something like a 'Tommy Lift' style power tailgate lift?

1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2017 at 11:49pm
Originally posted by Stev Stev wrote:

Jannie - I am revising my first post.  I have the transfer case levers reversed.  The in and out of 4 wheel drive is the middle lever and the passenger side lever is the High and Low range.

Again, all the best to your and your friend.
Stev

I was going to mention it but sometimes I just in my corner to watch the show.
I can't help you much with the hand throttle and choke as my MB and 3B aren't the same as a 2A.

Edited by Unkamonkey - 01 Nov. 2017 at 11:52pm
uncamonkey
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2017 at 12:31am
Operating an on off clutch is a BITCH I have driven a 30,000 GVW truck that had essentially a on/off clutch. There was no slip the thing lurched about and was a total PITA to control in anything but driving down the road.

4lbs of pressure is not going to be anywhere near enough to disengage a clutch.

A neighbor of our had hand controls on their cars when I was growing up His son and I were in the same class in school same cub scout troop and so on. SO I rode around with them a lot. His throttle and brake was on an arm that hand a motorcycle throttle and a bar that extended down to the brake pedal (yes they were power brakes).

But to add a clutch to the mix would be quite complicated.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2017 at 2:44am
I agree that making a clutch work with some kind of hand control would be quite difficult.  It might be easier to convert to an automatic transmission--not that that would be exactly easy, but maybe easier.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2017 at 4:19am
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

I agree that making a clutch work with some kind of hand control would be quite difficult.  It might be easier to convert to an automatic transmission--not that that would be exactly easy, but maybe easier.

Honestly, this is probably the best option.

I wonder if the Dauntless/automatic option from the Commando would fit a 2A. If not, probably a 4.3 vortec/auto combo might be a reasonable route.

What Would Jpet Do?
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
Jannie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jannie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2017 at 6:18am
Thank you for all the I'm put.  The whole idea is not to modify the Jeep at all for an able body driver. It is still stock standard down to the side valve engine.  I was thinking along the lines of using a Toyota Corollas hydraulic clutch system(which is nice and compact) and to assist that with a vacuum cylinder. The idea is to fit that parallel to the existing clutch system.  To enable him to keep both hands as long as possible on the wheel I want to fit a ring behind the steering wheel. for accelerator and brakes. The Clutch should operate from a trigger right underneath the gear knob. Please keep the think tank going.
Much apreciated
Please help I am lost
Jannie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jannie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2017 at 6:37am
Les. To answer your question:  He gets into his Cherokee without any problems. I must also point out that I will not arm wrestle him.  He works out for an hour and a half every evening and I mean WORK OUT.  His upper body is powerful enough. He is extremely keen on the idea.  The Jeep is currently at my house.  It was neglected and required some repairs.  I had to replace all the flexible break pipes and is at this moment awaiting delivery of an exhaust manifold from the  US. It was fitted with 16 x 750 tires for working on rocky terrain. We replaced them with the standard Jeep tires which lowers the Jeep by almost two inches. This should aid him further. Needles to say he is a regular visitor when I spend time on the Jeep.
Please help I am lost
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2017 at 8:20am
Jannie, Back in the early 1970s VW came out with an "Automatic Stick Shift" in the bugs. it was essentially a vacuum operated clutch that was activated by moving the shift lever a little bit. You might research those. The vacuum came from the intake manifold. When the engine got tired, the vacuum also got tired & would not operate the clutch correctly. The fix was to either rebuild the engine, or to convert to a standard clutch. Most folks chose the latter.

I always thought that a vacuum pump would be another solution, but I could not find any back then that would fit an air cooled VW engine. Note: adding a vacuum pump to a Willys should not be too hard. Almost any diesel powered car will have a vacuum pump to operate the heater controls.

Oh yea, I just recalled, Rambler in 1962 had something similar. My dad had one & he hated it. So he had me convert it to a standard clutch. After he left my shop happy, I took the slave cylinder apart. The leather seal had a tear in it. Heck, I could have fixed it easier & cheaper if he had let me look into it.

Back in the 1950s both Dodge & Plymouth had stick shift cars that, while they had clutches, they also had torque converters between the flywheel & the transmission input shaft. I think that they were called "Fluid Drive". At one time I owned one Dodge & one Plymouth with this arrangement. I never had to fix anything on them, they just worked.

IIRC, One could start the rig in first or reverse gear while holding the brake, & then to drive away, you just let off on the brake. I up shifted & down shifted without using the clutch pedal. It would go into the proper gear with a little help from the syncros. To shift from first to reverse & visa versa, I came to a complete stop & quickly moved the shift lever to the desired gear. This worked every time for me. I could not speed shift, without using the clutch, but I guess your friend would not be too concerned about that. Again, no issues with the syncros failing prematurely.

I do not know if any of this helps, but it may be something to look into.
Jannie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jannie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2017 at 11:32am
We seem to be from the same era.  The Fleetline Chev from the 50's had a vacuum servo bolted to the chassis that assisted in engaging first gear.  We never had the VW with the vacuum clutch in South Africa, this would have been ideal.  The other cars that you talk about would be collectors items today and no longer available from the scrap yard.  The Chrysler Valiant had a vacuum operated servo on its brake system, but they are also non existent. Vacuum operated servos are available and they are not too bulky, but the price is another matter.  Does anyone know about 12Volt servo motors that might do the trick?
Please help I am lost
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2017 at 10:15pm
Linear actuators are easily available but finding one with the correct speed, torque and throw would take a little research. Basically an electric motor and a threaded rod. Making it work along with the stock setup would be a little challenging.
Jannie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jannie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2017 at 10:53pm
Hi Leecarr,

Why did I not think of this one, I repair garage door motors in my spare time and this is how they work..
My Brother in law owns a garage in one of the smallest towns in South Africa and when I spoke to him today he said to me he has exactly what I need. It is a 12Volt servo motor that comes out of a combine harvester.  Apparently it is used to keep some part of the combine level when it runs along a slanted field.  It has a positive drive in and out.  It is very powerful, he was planning to use it to raise the platform of his recovery lorry.  He assures me that it is small enough to fit into the jeep. I will get it tomorrow and will probably have to ask for advice again. Apparently this animal has 7 wires coming out of it.  I will keep you guys posted.
Please help I am lost
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2017 at 11:53pm
If you could setup the actuator to pull on the original linkage it would be relatively simple, we put a hand throttle lever on a tractor this way. Attach the actuator to the linkage with a short piece of chain, when it pulls it moves the clutch, when the clutch pedal is pushed the chain just goes slack and does not interfere, very simple and works great. With the piece of chain mounting the actuator does not have to be quite as fussy.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>