Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hand controlls For CJ2A

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jannie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov. 2017 at 7:29am
You really have the big picture.  I want the Jeep to be totally versatile for able and disable people.  I was thinking of a rod with an end stop sliding through a bush, but the chain is going to be much simpler.  The pedal is not heavy at all.  I can easily depress it with my hand. It has a dirty great return spring and I am sure that it can be made softer without any bad effects.  After my previous post I suddenly remembered that I have a complete 12Volt gate motor capable of driving a 7Meter (22 feet) gate made out of 2"X 3"Rectangular tube with ease.  Thank you, things are beginning to look rather simple.
Please help I am lost
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov. 2017 at 6:22pm
I've done it the other way too but the chain is quicker, easier and cheaper. I've been playing with old trucks and equipment for years there's always something that needs to be made or repaired. Get one of those shift knobs from a drag car with the line lock button on top and use that to actuate the clutch, you could even put a switch in the circuit so you could shut it off when someone was driving it manually.

Edited by leecarr - 03 Nov. 2017 at 6:29pm
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov. 2017 at 7:38pm
Good luck with your quest. Back in around 1974 I rode around with a guy in a 1964 Impala convertable that had been converted to hand controls. Nam Vet that was disabled. Almost as many levers in there to make a Jeep hide.
uncamonkey
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov. 2017 at 8:08pm
The clutch is only one issue, how do you handle the brake, steering and accelerator at the same time. Coming to a stop would be a challenge, or starting on a hill, lots of other things to consider. Making all of these systems work with just hand controls and having some sort of override on all of them so other people can drive it is going to be quite a bit of engineering.
Willy M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willy M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov. 2017 at 12:37am
On the clutch issue, if I was going to do this, I would put in an automatic transmission and the easiest way I know to do it would be to swap the engine to a Buick V6 with a stock (to the Buick) Turbo 350.  Supposedly, the Turbo 350 can be made to fit (Novak has the adapters), but you might have to make a shorter rear driveshaft and a longer front.  I'm not aware of any auto trans that would be shorter and still bolt in than the Turbo 350.  The good thing is a Turbo 350 in good condition is strong and reliable.  

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov. 2017 at 2:32am
Originally posted by Willy M Willy M wrote:

I'm not aware of any auto trans that would be shorter and still bolt in than the Turbo 350.   

A Ford C4 is shorter than a Turbo 350.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Willy M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willy M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov. 2017 at 4:04am
About an hour after I posted that, it hit me that an old aluminum case Powerglide was a little shorter than a Turbo 350.  Still it would have problems bolting up to a Buick V6

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov. 2017 at 5:18am
How far do you need to go with this? The Impala I mentioned was still driveable for an enabeled person if you stayed out from the levers and didn't mind them smacking you in the knees when you weren't paying attention
uncamonkey
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov. 2017 at 7:26am
Originally posted by Willy M Willy M wrote:

About an hour after I posted that, it hit me that an old aluminum case Powerglide was a little shorter than a Turbo 350.  Still it would have problems bolting up to a Buick V6

Well since the V6 is hypothetical in this project anyway I would take it out of the equation it is just complicating things.

A Pinto/ C4 is the obvious choice....(IF I was going to go to all this trouble / expense)

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Jannie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jannie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2017 at 7:05am
Hi Guys,
I think I am going to nail the clutch problem.  I received the actuator from the combine harvester from my brother in law and it looks like the real deal. it is a Linak LA32 actuator that operates on 12 Volts. (yes the CJ2a was converted to 12V) The box is virtually square, 200X90X110mm(7.5X3.5X4.5") and it has a positive run out and in 0f 150mm (6") .  It takes 13 second to travel this distance at a pressure of 300nm(230ft/lbs). The amazing thing about it  is that it is one of those boxes that you open and the mechanism disappears. It contains nothing more than I complete wiper motor with its gearbox that was adapted to drive a screw thread.  I aim to mount the unit right underneath the drivers feet to the left of the chassis.  This means that I will only use about 60mm (2.5") of the travel and the clutch should be fully depressed in about 5 seconds.  This is a bit slow but considering that you will hardly ever drive over 60K's(35mph) it should work.  The most important thing is that your hands will not be longer than about 7 seconds of the wheel.  I know it is not going to be as easy as it sounds but we are getting there.  Unfortunately I will not be able to use the easy method of a chain as the actuator will have to  push the clutch down as there is no space to mount it on the pull side.  Please keep the ideas rolling in guys.  Once this problem is put to bed we still have to boost the brakes.
Please help I am lost
Jannie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jannie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2017 at 7:25am
Leecar,
Since the jeep is without power steering it means that you want two hands on the wheel.  I am thinking along the lines of a ring running with the steering wheel. The biggest draw back here is the very large turning circle of the Jeep, and the fact that it is 3 1/4 turns from lock to lock.
Willy M:  The only problem with your plan is that we have not seen a Buick in South Africa since 1966.  Then we would also like theCJ2A to remain standard.  It still has the original side valve engine in and It runs like a charm.
Please help I am lost
Willy M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willy M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2017 at 1:07pm
Ah, South Africa.  I wasn't sure where RSA is.  That would make a good bit of difference in what's available.  

leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2017 at 7:22pm
You could used a hydraboost off of a van and run the steering and brakes would run on the same pump, you would have to go to a hanging pedal and master cylinder setup though.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2017 at 8:36pm
There is more to this story than we are getting but it is your life so I won't ask.
uncamonkey
Jannie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jannie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2017 at 4:19pm
Leecar.  Tell me more abot the Hydraboost please
Please help I am lost
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2017 at 5:56pm
Five seconds to engage or worse yet, to disengage the clutch? I think this is going to get somebody in trouble. Five seconds is a long time.
  Why couldn't it be set up to use vacuum as was discussed, or air pressure, or even hydraulic pressure with a control valve similar to what is used in power brakes or steering - the more you press,the more it pushes. If you let up, it lets up. It only pushes as far as you do, and stops when you stop pushing.  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Jannie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jannie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2017 at 7:56pm
Bruce it could be but I could machine a  coarser thread for  the actuator.  This is were the tweaking is going to start.  I already picked up problems with the control of the motor. It sounds simple enough. Use a momentary cross over switch for back and forth and two micro switches to stop the forward and backward travel. When you start walking the operation you find that you have to create rest periods for the motor by the use of pretty hefty diodes.
Please help I am lost
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2017 at 9:38pm
This is a hydraboost, it uses hydraulic pressure from the power steering pump to boost the brakes and is less bulky than a vacuum booster. I think an automatic transmission would simplify things. With a standard sooner or later you're going to run out of hands and it could be dangerous. I would find a newer model cj with all the power goodies and put a cj2 body on it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>