Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Harrison heater sheet metal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Harrison heater sheet metal
    Posted: 23 Nov. 2018 at 4:15am
I’m in to something I know very little about. Watched a few metal shaping videos. Kinda understand some of the concepts. But how does one start going about fixing something like this

Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2018 at 12:34am
I've watched some metal shaping videos and it's certainly an art.  I can't visualize how without welding some assembly seams (that could later be ground smooth).
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2018 at 2:19am
  You always wind up replacing more metal than you think. By the time you get rid of the rusty metal, back to where you have something decent to tie into, you're not going to have a lot left.
  The very first thing I would do, before starting to cut, grind, or weld, is to put that Sun dwell/tach in a safer location!Wink   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2018 at 4:30am
Plan B:

Keep what you have for spare parts.
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2018 at 6:44am
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

You always wind up replacing more metal than you think. By the time you get rid of the rusty metal, back to where you have something decent to tie into, you're not going to have a lot left.
  The very first thing I would do, before starting to cut, grind, or weld, is to put that Sun dwell/tach in a safer location!Wink   BW

LOL. Good advice. The UPS fellow just dropped that off yesterday. I need to find it a safe home.
The heater shroud? has been sitting there and I’ve been looking at it and contemplating it’s fate for a week. It think the plan is to shape a form from oak,  clamp a sheet of 20 gauge to it and start beating on it. To get rid of the rot. I think it’s best to replace all of the bottom. So the bottom will be left whole and clamped to the form. Then the front and ends will get wrapped down. If I can get the corners to shrink in it should go alright. Then it’s just a matter of cutting out the old and welding in the new. Without ruining it. 
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2018 at 6:52am
Another view 
Pretty much all the bottom is rotten plan is to replace everything up to where it goes flat. 
bretto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2018 at 1:43pm
I think its cool of you for seeing it still has life left and not tossing it and at least giving it a go.

Thumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs Up
Goodluck
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2018 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by bretto bretto wrote:

I think its cool of you for seeing it still has life left and not tossing it and at least giving it a go.

Thumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs Up
Goodluck

Well I’ve gotten to the point that I can no longer fault something just because it’s old and wore out. It would be kinda hypocritical
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2018 at 11:36pm
I don’t really know what I’m doing but I’m doing it anyway. Made up a block of oak. Shaped it like the bottom of the heater. 

When I get to to fit unside I’ll get a piece os sheet metal and form it around the piece. If that works I’ll cut the rotten bottom out of the old one and weld it in. Might work. 
L
L
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2018 at 2:05am
What if I rooted through my stuff and sent you another one with way less damage?
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2018 at 4:01am
Originally posted by damar2yxr damar2yxr wrote:

What if I rooted through my stuff and sent you another one with way less damage?
Well that might save me a humbling experience. 
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2018 at 6:31pm
Humbling maybe, but with 2 you could possibly put one good one together. Are all your other components accounted for and functioning properly? If you’d like me to send you what I have just PM me your address. Maybe your project will be easier and more satisfying. Cheers!Big smile
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2018 at 9:23pm
I have 2 heaters one is bad the other is really bad  The motors both turn but neither is in working order.  both heater cores are maybe good or at least repairable.  Right now I'm trying to fix up the worst of the two.  If I can get it in presentable working order the other one will be a piece of cake. 
 Post Reply Post Reply