Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Harvard Red '46 CJ2A #59359 all in the family

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Harvard Red '46 CJ2A #59359 all in the family
    Posted: 23 May 2016 at 12:32am
My grandfather bought this Jeep brand new in 1946.  Finally found the original receipt.  Interestingly enough, there was also a receipt from 1950 for the $353 spent on a new TV.  Kinda neat.  In the early '80's, it was pulled into the garage for the night and battery was dead the next morning.  It was always more of a summertime thing so it sat for the winter, then 2 and so on.  Finally got the itch to get it restored.  I've never tackled anything like this but I think it will be a good start.  
     I pulled it out of the lower shop, dusted it off and pushed into the upper shop to see what it might need.  My neighbor is helping by rebuilding the carburetor.  Hopefully,  With replacing the points, plugs and wires, we can get a listen to it before I start taking it apart.

Edited by McG - 04 Sep. 2016 at 2:04pm
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2016 at 12:52am
Great looking 2A. The receipt is amazing.

Hawk
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
3-48s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3-48s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2016 at 12:56am
Originally posted by athawk11 athawk11 wrote:

Great looking 2A. The receipt is amazing.

Hawk

X2
Very cool. Good luck with the refurbishing. A real family treasure.
1945 CJ2A #10536
1948 CJ2A #176528 "Elmer"
1948 CJ2A #155970 "Gray Mule"
1948 CJ2A #155365 "Old Yeller" (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 6147 (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 30856
wheelie View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2016 at 1:30am
Man. That's a bit of a time capsule. Personally, I wouldn't take the whole JEEP apart if it doesn't need it. This often turns out to be a loooong project. I'd do a detailed cleaning of the entire vehicle, fix what needs fixed and drive it as is. She's a peach just the way she is, IMO.

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2016 at 1:58am
Originally posted by athawk11 athawk11 wrote:

The receipt is amazing.Hawk

this.  the connection is a bonus...Wink.  I have neither, but would treasure either Smile
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
JEEPzilla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEEPzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2016 at 6:14pm
I have a family Jeep too, my Dad's. Sweet to have them.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2016 at 6:32pm
Very nice survivor!  I know you didn't ask for opinions but if you are, I agree.  Fix the bare minimum to make it use-able and don't touch the patina.

If not, I'm looking forward to following whatever you do!
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Ryan_289 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2016 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by wheelie wheelie wrote:

Man. That's a bit of a time capsule. Personally, I wouldn't take the whole JEEP apart if it doesn't need it. This often turns out to be a loooong project. I'd do a detailed cleaning of the entire vehicle, fix what needs fixed and drive it as is. She's a peach just the way she is, IMO.

Nice survivor!  Its your jeep so you do what you want but it sure has cool patina as is.
McG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2016 at 11:11am
I drained the fuel and got this lovely potion out of the tank.  Man, this stuff stinks!
McG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2016 at 11:19am
Rebuilt the carberator, put on a new fuel pump, tank and lines.  Also just gave it a basic tune up, fired right up!  decide to take her out for a spin and see what I had.

McG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2016 at 11:21am
I can appreciate the survivor comments but this has been a farm vehicle for many years of its life.  It has been repainted, has rust holes and the rear floor has been replaced.  It needs some work, so my plan is to take it back original as best I can.
McG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2016 at 11:28am

The brakes are completely frozen which made for an interesting first drive.  All just on the farm, so it was no big deal.   Starting to disassemble it, so I thought I would upload a couple of the tag shots.

Edited by McG - 04 June 2016 at 11:34am
1947cj2willis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1947cj2willis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2016 at 1:35pm
So cool. You got yourself a nice family heirloom there.    I agree with the others fix only what's needed.    The rest gives it it's character. Congrats
Batjac65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Batjac65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2016 at 1:55pm
Amazing and a great story you have there.

Interesting that the "spare tire & tube" is an add on.
1946 CJ2A #75375
autolite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote autolite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2016 at 5:02pm
Nice looking survivor. The thing that catches my eye is the right inner windshield frame stop. Looks like the UAW worker did not care about quality control. Oh, that's right, was there not a strike a Willys-Overland around that time ?
willys jeep
McG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2016 at 1:00pm

The chassis is in excellent shape. That is a good thing.  But, got the body apart and completely disassembled.  It looks pretty rough. Hat channels are rotted out and the entire floor is pretty thin.

underneath.  You can see the bed was replaced.

Edited by McG - 23 Dec. 2017 at 9:21am
McG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2016 at 1:03pm
steering, like everyone else says was a bugger.  Wheel puller wouldnt budge it, and eventually broke it.  Which made it easier at that point to get off.  Heat and Hammer!

McG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2016 at 1:05pm
I understand the only red available in 1946 was Harvard Red.  I am finding a color very close to Shawnee red http://www.kaiserwillys.com/willys_overland_paint_colors. The jeep was painted 40 + years ago because my father wanted a redder red, Original was too orange, he says. There was a section of paint that flaked off on the wheel well behind the seat, and the paint underneath is that orange red color.  Trying to figure out what happened here. Any help would be appreciated.  I am not seeing anything that would indicate Harvard red color, but would like to restore to original color.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>