Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Harvard Red '46 CJ2A #59359 all in the family

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 14>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2017 at 9:54am
Got the supports all measured and cut and spot welded on.  Most importantly all of the holes line up with the frame and I have 28 3/8 from outside to outside of front supports.  It should line up with the frame.   Hopefully tomorrow, I can set the cowl on and start fitting the front end.

Edited by McG - 16 Feb. 2018 at 11:05am
McG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2017 at 10:18am
Set the cowl on the floor.  Somehow the measurements across the front were short by about 1/4 inch, so I had to cut, spread and reweld a seam to get make it up.  Lots of fun.  But at least finally got the cowl set right and screwed on.

Then got started on fitting the side cowl pieces from classic enterprises (no primer).  These are much much better than the MD Juan (black primer) or Indian pieces (the ones with green primer).  Very little work to do.  The bends weren't as sharp as I would like, so I'll correct that, drill the the fender holes and the front part of the step doesn't have as sharp an angle as I would like.  Overall very happy with these pieces.  So nice not to have completely rework a brand new piece.  Hopefully today I will pair up the front and rear of the tub and see how it fits!

Edited by McG - 23 Dec. 2017 at 9:42am
McG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2017 at 10:49am
Been away lately dealing with family health issues but got a chance thurs and fri to try and pair the front and back halves.

Luckily there was a free chassis at the shop I could set it on to make sure the holes lined up and is nice and square.  Still have a few things to tweak, put some screws in, then I can move it back over and start welding it together.

Edited by McG - 23 Dec. 2017 at 9:43am
sparky13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar. 2017 at 9:11pm
Hey McG. It was good talking to you today at Henry's. You gave me a lot of useful information.
Thanks again, Mark
Mark
1946 CJ2A
McG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2017 at 10:56am
I tried putting the tub on another frame in the shop and had a tough time getting things to fit right.  Weirdest thing, everything measured out right, but the toe board supports weren't even close to being right, so I took it apart and put it back together and it was much better.  Then, I decided bring my chassis up and mate the tub to the frame it will end up on.  Things worked out much better, and everything including the rear of the jeep lined up much better.   68 3/8 from the back to the top of the dash.  I ended up cutting the spot welds so i could line up the frame holes on the front supports.   Now things are finally right and I can pull out all of the screws, take it apart and start welding it back together!

Edited by McG - 02 Apr. 2017 at 11:26pm
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2017 at 11:04am
Wow that rebuilding the tub,you done a lot of work,super nice job.    

Giles.
sparky13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2017 at 11:07am
Good morning Jim. This is Mark giving you a shout. When are you going to be up at Henry's next? I was talking to you a couple of weeks ago at Henry's. I would like to see your Jeep again.
Thanks, Mark
Mark
1946 CJ2A
McG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2017 at 11:28am
Looking like I will have a few days next week with the rain in the forecast.  Leaning toward Monday to pull the tub back off.  Been off it for a while, It will be nice to get a few days in.
sparky13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2017 at 11:33am
Hey Jim. Just post on here when you are going to be at Henry's the next time.
Thanks, Mark
Mark
1946 CJ2A
McG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2017 at 3:25pm
, I'm heading up now. Jay
sparky13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2017 at 10:22pm
Hey Jim, You going to be there on Tuesday at all?
Mark
Mark
1946 CJ2A
McG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar. 2017 at 11:06am
I didn't have the manpower to lift the body off, so started work on the fenders.  Luckily the driver side was in very nice shape.  Only took a few hours of beating with a hammer and dolly.  Passenger side another story.  Lot of rusted through metal.  I am separating 2 of the panels off.  I drew lines on the bends, so when I flatten it out I'll have a nice pattern for the new one.  Mark, yes, I'll be there.

McG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2017 at 11:17am
Just doing a little more work rebuilding the fender.

This piece is a little more difficult with all of the corners.  The plasma cutter really messed the up the first attempt, so I'm trying to think of a way to get them cut nice and straight.  The band saw would not look good.  Thinking of maybe cutting a piece of masonite and using that as a pattern.  I'm open to suggestions.

Well I did just end up using the bandsaw to cut the lines.  I think it did a nice job.

The holes lined up spotted it together, now just gotta remove the bolts and put in rivets and that means metal work on front end is done!

Edited by McG - 13 May 2017 at 10:25am
McG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2017 at 11:29am
This one is for anyone that thinks they can't weld or lay down welds as nice as the factory.  Here are a few pictures of an early 50's CJ-5 with all original body work and welds.  It should be a major confidence booster.

Edited by McG - 02 Apr. 2017 at 11:11am
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2017 at 11:57am
Jay I did the same patch repairs on my front fenders I used a grinder with a thin cut-off wheel 4 1/2" x 3/16" and a 14 gauge metal cutting shear.Your doing nice work keep the picture coming.

Edited by Gil - 01 Apr. 2017 at 12:03pm
McG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2017 at 12:03pm
I forgot about the big cutting wheel.  I have one of those.  Should be a lot straighter than the little one.  I'll give that a practice run to see how I do.  Did you have to chase the shears with a grinder to smooth out the nibbles?

Edited by McG - 02 Apr. 2017 at 1:02pm
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2017 at 9:40pm
A saber saw with a good blade cuts sheet metal good.
McG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2017 at 12:02pm
I've got a few different parts of the jeep I'm working on at the same time, but this week decided to start on the toolbox.  It is in really bad shape but I'm gonna make a go of it.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 14>