Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Heading to Tucson on 1 May for CJ7 surgery...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heading to Tucson on 1 May for CJ7 surgery...
    Posted: 19 Apr. 2018 at 10:14pm
Hey all, I'm heading to Tucson for a week on May 1st to do an engine replacement on a 76 CJ7.

I'm swapping a seized 304 with a 'tested good' runner from Olympic 4x4. The jeep has been sitting for better than a decade and needs a few more bits and pieces as well.

The seats are non-stock and shot. I suspect the brakes will need some love, and the tires are dry rotted. I'll probably have to go through the wiring as well.

I've got six days to go from garage queen to reliable runner. Crap - I should pick up a cam for this and document it...

Does anyone
  • live in the area?
  • know of salvage yards in the area that might have parts?
  • want to drive 'chase' for the shake-down run?

1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
RunningW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RunningW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2018 at 2:36am
Used to live there.  Check out Rob over at Willys Works, he's on the west side of town.  He's got the best selection of parts in the area.  A wealth of knowledge and a real nice guy.

1933 W Gardner Ln.
Tucson, AZ
elawson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elawson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2018 at 3:09am
I agree with RunningW....Willys Works is a great place to check out. 
Spinnas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spinnas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2018 at 8:37pm
Another nod to Rob at Willys Works
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2018 at 9:04pm
Some of my coworkers just got back from Tucson on Monday after robbing unserviceable  fan blades from the CFM 56-7 jet engines stored there, to keep ahead of the insp requirements set forth by the FAA .They said it was 96 degrees there already. Drink plenty of water!!!

Edited by jeeper50 - 25 Apr. 2018 at 9:15pm

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2018 at 10:48pm
Thanks guys. I'm wheels up at zero dark thirty.

I've been in touch with Rob before. He's a great guy. But he didn't have a 304 when we called in Feb. Cry

All told, we have about $1100 into the one from Olympic 4x4. They're a great bunch too.

I'm aware of the weather down there. I believe in the army that'd be about 5 degrees shy of 'black ball' weather. At that point it 30 minutes working, 30 resting in the shade, and drink a full canteen every thirty minutes.

I'm a lot fatter than I was in those days. Ouch

Wish I was driving the Willys instead of flying.

Wait what? They're robbing unserviceable blades? That sounds kinda bass-ackwards. Am I missing something?

1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn

cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 2:22am
They may be getting unserviceable blades to use as cores so that they can inspect them & if they pass, then they become serviceable. I doubt if there is any reworking them.

Many turbine engine parts get to be inspected every 20 thousands hours of use. If they pass the inspection, they are good for another 20K hours. Note: I pulled the 20K hours out of thin air. It could be more or it could be less. You get the idea.

IHTH, Cpt Logger.
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 2:40am
gotcha! makes sense

1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn

jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by cpt logger cpt logger wrote:

They may be getting unserviceable blades to use as cores so that they can inspect them & if they pass, then they become serviceable. I doubt if there is any reworking them.

Many turbine engine parts get to be inspected every 20 thousands hours of use. If they pass the inspection, they are good for another 20K hours. Note: I pulled the 20K hours out of thin air. It could be more or it could be less. You get the idea.

IHTH, Cpt Logger.

Yes, parts are shipped back to us and xrayed, inspected, etc then returned to service, CPT logger, FAA insp requires 30K intervals. aircraft are routed to maintenance base and blade sets are swapped out with serviceable spare sets and aircraft flys on in the morning. Hint; a grounded aircraft doesn't make any money!

Lesburg take pics of your Tucson adventures I recall fondly my 75 cj5 with the 304 it was a blast back in HS.

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 11:07pm
Les, X2 on the pictures!

Jeeper50, I have done a few x-rays & dye penetrate inspections on turbine blades before. I just could not recall the inspection intervals.

Thanks for the up-date, Cpt Logger.

LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 11:13pm
I picked up a GoPro knockoff - the SJCAM SJ7 Star just to document the work (and hopefully kick off a YouTube channel sometime in the future) 

I'm recording a time lapse of the transplant. Thumbs Up

The SJ7 is very close to the Hero 5 Black in performance for $170, and comes with a load of mounts and a water/dust proof case. With a $70 tripod and a $50 128GB U3 rated SD card, I'm still several hundred dollars cheaper than a GoPro Hero5 Black with the same mounts, etc. I would argue that the video quality is on par with the GoPro and the customer service and support is far superior.
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn

LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 10:30pm
Just a quick update:
I have a ton of footage over five days. Right now I'm learning video editing in Adobe Premier Pro. Once I have this figured out, I'll get some video posted.
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn

Post Reply Post Reply