Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Headlight installation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmpasley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Headlight installation
    Posted: 17 Aug. 2017 at 4:33pm
Is there a video or a diagram explaining how to mount the headlights in a 1948 CJ2A? I have all the parts, just too stupid to figure out how to put it all together with screws and the little spring at the bottom of the headlight bucket.
JP
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2017 at 7:17pm
I don't know of a video, but this process has worked for me...

This is a little easier with the bucket removed from the Willys, but can be done either way.

On the outer bucket, slide the two screws in to their perches, then lean them back against the inside wall of the bucket.  The screws should only be turned in a very small amount.  Maybe one or two threads.  One hint:  If the little clip between the screw and the bucket is original, it may be kind of loose.  I have had some success pinching it a bit.  It helps keep it on its perch while all other things are going on.

Hook the 2 springs to the perches on the inner bucket.

Carefully move the inner bucket in to position and hook the springs to their perches on the outer bucket.  While doing this, be careful not to dislodge the 2 screws, and keep pressure on the inner bucket so the springs don’t slip off.

Now press the inner bucket down and toward the springs.  Hold tightly, then hook a screw into the perch on the inner bucket.  Do the same with the other screw.  With good force, keep holding the inner bucket in place while tightening the screw.  Eventually you will feel good spring tension.  Adjust screws as needed.

This is easier to describe than the process.  The springs and screws will fall off while you fumble the inner bucket into position.  You’ll get both spring ends captured, only to have a screw slip off its perch, etc..   It is a pain in the &$$, but can be done.  

Good luck.

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
jmpasley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmpasley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2017 at 3:22pm
Thanks! Glad to hear it wasn't just me! I will give your method a try. Appreciate the help!
 Post Reply Post Reply