Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

hood mounted spare tire?!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2018 at 4:14pm
All here accept the standard Willys flat fender look to be traditionally appealing.
The flat fender appeal is certainly due in large part to long term familiarity.
But lets face it the universal was only designed to be functional and never was intended as an artistic impression.
We mainly cherish it due to our long term familiarity with its functional simple lines.

I for one cannot say that a hood mounted spare "is" or "is not" a good idea.
I certainly expect it can be functional and serve a purpose if done well.
But due to rarity of examples it obviously must have multiple drawbacks.
If one attempts a hood mounted spare they certainly would do well to produce the most practical and simplest design.
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2018 at 4:28pm
Regarding hood-mounted spares: Those SAS jeeps of WWII epitomized optimizing a vehicle for field use. The SAS combat group was all about Range and Firepower, requiring the jeeps to be overloaded with jerry cans and ammo. So where to put the spare? Maybe on the hood--where it would also serve in a minor way as protection for the jeep's driver and passenger.

From the SAS experience (and thanks for posting those period photos!), hood-mounted spares must be a British thing. Now fast forward to the first production Land Rovers. Has anybody in the 2Apage.com Forum ever lifted a wheel/tire off the hood of an early Landie? I have, and it's an easy way to blow out your back in the process. It proves the value of a rear or side mounted spare.

Just my $0.02.
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2018 at 5:12pm
The main problem I have with this subject is it shouldn't be under General Discussion and should be under Modifications from Original. I sure do miss Sam for more reasons than one, one was he kept things in order on here.
I spouted off now I feel better lol.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2018 at 5:38pm
I agree on both sentiments Jim.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2018 at 6:23pm
To each their own but I have my hood open way to much to keep a spare on it
jasonbass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasonbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2018 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by LuzonRed47 LuzonRed47 wrote:

Regarding hood-mounted spares: Those SAS jeeps of WWII epitomized optimizing a vehicle for field use. The SAS combat group was all about Range and Firepower, requiring the jeeps to be overloaded with jerry cans and ammo. So where to put the spare? Maybe on the hood--where it would also serve in a minor way as protection for the jeep's driver and passenger.

From the SAS experience (and thanks for posting those period photos!), hood-mounted spares must be a British thing. Now fast forward to the first production Land Rovers. Has anybody in the 2Apage.com Forum ever lifted a wheel/tire off the hood of an early Landie? I have, and it's an easy way to blow out your back in the process. It proves the value of a rear or side mounted spare.

Just my $0.02.

from what I've gathered i believe it is a British "mod" 
I've never taken a tire off the hood of anything but to me the jeep sits pretty low plus im 6"4. 
i will definitely do a rear mount if this hood mount is a bad idea in the long run
You have only to believe if you wish to achieve. That rhymed. Unintentional - Rod Kimble

RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2018 at 11:10pm

Edited by RICKG - 07 Dec. 2018 at 11:12pm
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
TateC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TateC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2018 at 5:22am
Why not mount 10 spare tires on the hood? 

Edited by TateC - 09 Dec. 2018 at 5:24am
Tate Christensen
1941 Ford GP #9687
1943 Willys MB #263100
1944 Ford GPW #234613
1945 Willys CJ2A #10226

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2018 at 6:28pm
Today's forecast: Cloudy with a chance of NDTs....
ACM #124334
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2018 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by TateC TateC wrote:

Why not mount 10 spare tires on the hood? 

Now that there's funny!
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2018 at 11:10pm
Jason,

I’m interested in the project so I hope you see it through. For off-road climbing, I’d prefer to have the weight of the spare up front instead of in back behind the rear axle which is the worse place for the weight.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2018 at 11:55pm
Weight balance is important for off-road climbing, but so is being able to see the front of the vehicle. Having a 6.00 x 16 wheel/tire combo (or larger) on the hood will certainly block a big portion of that view. I was on a Jeep Jamboree in Ouray once where a couple Series III Land Rovers came through our group with their spares mounted on custom rear-mount racks, for this reason. 
ACM #124334
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2018 at 11:59pm
.... not that much.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2018 at 12:33pm

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

willyt View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2018 at 1:24pm
OK, that pic helps with a question I have had for a while. I have seen a few jeep pics with wooden strips attached to the hood and I couldn't figure out what they were for. Mounting a tire to the hood perhaps.
1952 CJ3A (Lil'Green)
early M38A1(Ole Green)
1970 Jeepster Commando
jasonbass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasonbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2018 at 1:36pm
nice pic! i'm still planing on doing it i set the tire on the hood in the middle last night and sat in the jeep with no issues on vision so far.
 it will probably be after the holidays when i post some pictures of the progress.  
its been slow going, but going 
You have only to believe if you wish to achieve. That rhymed. Unintentional - Rod Kimble

Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2018 at 2:36pm
Jasonbass,

My Series III Airportable Lightweight Land Rover's tire is up on the bonnet.  When it rains water gets caught along the bead and in the stamped center of the wheel.  I have used Waxyal  to coat the side of the tire that is facing the sky to keep it from rusting.  

If I were going to mount a tire of the hood of a CJ2A I might consider designing the tire mount so that it would accept the tire with the convex side facing the sky - But the Land Rover guys have been doing it the other way for some good reason I am sure.

Here is sideways picture of the Lightweight.

Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2018 at 2:43pm
The Lightweight Landies are super cool. Your photo shows the width of the LR fenders and that fitting/removing the wheel-tire from the hood takes a bit of stretching, even for me (and I'm 6 ft 3). Also, no real worries about scratching paint when it's mil-spec olive drab and can be touched up with a rattle can. It's a different situation with civvy Jeep hoods that have been restored. Each to his/her own on the hood-mounted spare topic. The one issue that is unavoidable, however, is the significant weight added to the hood.
ACM #124334
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>