Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

hood mounted spare tire?!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasonbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2018 at 3:21pm
man thats awesome! i would love to find one of those. also a very good point with the water in the bead of the wheel i was thinking before i even saw this post that it might be an issue also thinking if i painted the wheel i might have some glare back onto the windshield

luzonreed47 i was planning on wrapping the hood in flat black vinyl for so not to mess up the paint. 
You have only to believe if you wish to achieve. That rhymed. Unintentional - Rod Kimble

flatfender47 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatfender47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2018 at 3:46pm
Perhaps a tire cover would keep the sun/rain at bay.
1947 CJ2A 225V6 SM420 D30 PLok/D44 D/Locker Warn OD 5:38s
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2018 at 6:28pm
I don't think I would mount it exactly in the center. If it was offset slightly passenger, It would not be in the way of your projected vision as much.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2018 at 6:42pm
A neat bracket could be made of some steel tubing.  Fasten some wood blocks underneath the bracket with a fabric surface (like the WWII jeeps use for the windshield blocks) so the weight could rest on the hood and cowl.  Mount one edge of the bracket to the windshield mount points on the cowl, and add a set of hood latches to mount the other end to the fenders (again like the WWII jeep windshield).  If the bracket could be made to "flip up" or flip over then the hood could be opened relatively easily.

Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2018 at 6:44pm
Jason, wrapping the hood with vinyl is a novel solution to mitigate scratching the hood surface! This is turning into an interesting project that will attract a lot of eyeballs in the 2Apage.com. Also can't wait to see your underhood reinforcements. Keep us all posted!

CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
jasonbass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasonbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2018 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by LuzonRed47 LuzonRed47 wrote:

Jason, wrapping the hood with vinyl is a novel solution to mitigate scratching the hood surface! This is turning into an interesting project that will attract a lot of eyeballs in the 2Apage.com. Also can't wait to see your underhood reinforcements. Keep us all posted!

thank you, i will post pics in the modified section. i have a new idea.. 
You have only to believe if you wish to achieve. That rhymed. Unintentional - Rod Kimble

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2018 at 3:49pm
Happened across this wicked little Rover this morning....

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Frank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2018 at 11:40pm
Jason,

If you can send me an email with your contact information, I can forward some photos of the USMC ambulance jeep spare tire assembly. I am not computer literate enough to post photos here. When I have tried in the past, it was way above my limited ability.

Frank
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec. 2018 at 12:02am
Don't even attempt it. I set my spare on the hood of my MB and sat in it. Totally unworkable. I put the spare on the back as it was meant to be placed.
uncamonkey
Frank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec. 2018 at 3:13pm
Jason,

Did you get the series of photos I sent you of the USMC style spare tire bracket for the hood mount ?

Frank
jasonbass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasonbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec. 2018 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by Frank Frank wrote:

Jason,

Did you get the series of photos I sent you of the USMC style spare tire bracket for the hood mount ?

Frank

yes sir! so very very helpful, i sent you a pm

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2019 at 3:59pm
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2019 at 4:23pm
This spare-on-the-hood thing is decidedly British...from the land of driving on the wrong side of the road, Positive-Ground electrical systems, the Royals, and Brexit. Stuff that us Yanks can't understand. Spare-on-the-hood has become a design icon for the Land Rover Defender, regardless of its practicality. It will be interesting to see if LR keeps the spare there on the next Defender--just for "looks sake."
ACM #124334
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
Grumpy1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug. 2019 at 3:00pm
What happened to the spare on the bonnet? Did it work, can you still fold the windscreen down?
jasonbass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasonbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2021 at 1:19am

just got my "sas" hood mount for the spare tire in from the U.K 
haven't mounted it yet getting another hood first.

my jeep will always have a top on it so i cant put the windshield down anyway.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2021 at 12:31pm
Any reinforcement on the underside of the hood for this mount?
ACM #124334
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
jasonbass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasonbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2021 at 2:37pm
i asked that question to the people in the u.k and i was told that they weld an "X" with flat metal under the hood.  once i get another hood ill play around with that idea and some others I'm thinking 

stevez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2021 at 2:37pm
I believe on the Holden ambulance jeeps the spare was on a frame that 'hinged' up separately from the hood
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>