Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hood rack - Opinions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdaddy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hood rack - Opinions
    Posted: 09 Jan. 2017 at 11:03pm
Tacked this frame together to try out an idea that kept rolling around in my head about storage. Thoughts? I think it would end up having upper rails and a perforated steel floor to allow rain/moisture to pass through...

Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2017 at 11:04pm
If you're only keeping a spare tire up there, check out the SAS Jeep tire carrier.
bigdaddy13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdaddy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2017 at 11:06pm
Thanks Nick - I'll check it out. I just grabbed two items that most folks are familiar with to give a sense of scale.

Also, I really dislike the OE spare location, so I'll have to think through it eventually. :)

Cheers!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdaddy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2017 at 11:08pm
Was also thinking it could provide a surface to mount pioneer tools on either side.
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2017 at 12:56am
Kind of puts a cramp on putting the windshield down.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2017 at 1:40am
 "Kind of puts a cramp on putting the windshield down"

Or the hood up.   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2017 at 2:34am
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

"<span style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">Kind of puts a cramp on putting the windshield down"</span>
<span style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">
</span>
<span style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">Or the hood up.   BW</span>
LOL I was hoping never to have to raise the hood again!
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2017 at 2:59am
I would think a rack like that would cause damage to the hood itself eventually.  It would be difficult (and heavy) to reinforce the hood enough to carry all that weight on just sheet metal. 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2017 at 3:17am

Or the hood up.   BW

'Why would you go around advertising to the world that you expect to open your hood?'. LOLWink

FWIW, I always kinda liked the look, impracticalities aside.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2017 at 3:27am
I finally found the thread where I saw the spare tire carrier. At the moment the manufacturer website isn't working, but I was just on it yesterday.

http://g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1353200#p1353200

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdaddy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2017 at 3:50pm
Nick: Thanks for the link.
Everyone: Thanks for your comments.

I was working on a few other small welding projects (repairing windshield frame, front of hood repair, etc. - so I just decided to knock together the basic shape so I could stop trying to imagine it.

the hood actually opens just fine, weight-wise, and I would probably simply convert to a "hood-prop" rather than resting the hood on the windshield if there were cargo.

As far as the sheetmetal, I was planning on adding a piece of flat stock under the feet to spread the weight, as well as tie-in/strengtheners underneath where it bolts through.

Y'all have given me food for thought, though.
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2017 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

<span style=": rgb248, 248, 252;"></span>
Or<span style=": rgb248, 248, 252;"> the hood up.   BW

</span>

'Why would you go around advertising to the world that you expect to open your hood?'. LOLWink

FWIW, I always kinda liked the look, impracticalities aside.

Well, if you don't open it once in a while, you're gonna need that rope!     BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2017 at 10:03pm
LOL LOL  Yep..
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
FrankUSMC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankUSMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2017 at 12:06am
Check out the WW2 Marine Corps ambulance jeep. It had the spare tire mounted on the hood, but there was a bracket under the tire if I remember right that took the weight of the tire off the hood.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdaddy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2017 at 6:05am

Like this, Frank?
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2017 at 7:36am
I did the hood mount on my MB, Tough to see the trail so the spare on the rear panel as it was supposed to be. Elegant solution to a non problem.
At least on the 48 Leftys they put the spare on the drivers side so you had a better view of it getting torn off by a tree or a rock.
uncamonkey
flattiesrule View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flattiesrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2017 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by bigdaddy13 bigdaddy13 wrote:

Like this, Frank?

Hey, is that guy texting?
'47 cj2a
'76 cj7
'01 cherokee sport
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2017 at 4:12pm

Interesting project.  It does have cool factor to it.

I have had some experience with Land Rover’s military Series III Air-Portable model with a tire on the hood.  The hood mounted spare can make seeing the trail / road a challenge at times.  The Land Rover reminds me of wheeling in a CJ3B.

Additional things to consider reinforcing:

- The hood hinge.  Over the years, the stock hoods hinges without the added weight of having a tire on them break from fatigue.  The Land Rover has two hinges like a CJ5.  You might consider a hinge up grade.

- Hood latches.  The OEM latches allow for some side to side movement of the hood.  You might consider doing something like adding more hood latches.

- Reinforcing the hood.  You might consider adding some braces from the fire wall to the grill so the hood can rest on the supports without having to add additional weight to the hood.  The land rover has these reinforcing braces mounted to the underside to of the hood.  With the tire and bracing it seems like a 40-pound lift to raise the hood.  The Air-portable has a hood stick to hold the hood / bonnet in the up position.

In the old days, the hard-core Land Rover types often carry two spare tires.  One on the hood and one on rear door that is visible.  They also could be fitted with the option to carry a spare on a wall that formed the seat back wall for the drives and passenger seat.  The wall extended from side to side of the Rover. The tire mounted on the bed side of the wall and the seats on the dash side. 

One issue with the hood mounted spare is that water can pool in the steel wheel and at the interface where the tire meets the steel rim.  I have seen people take melted bees wax and brush it on to these areas to try to deal with this issue. 

Two Cents

Stev

Edited by Stev - 11 Jan. 2017 at 6:57pm
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>