Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hood rack - Opinions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdaddy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2017 at 6:24pm
Thanks for all the thoughts, steve!
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2017 at 7:04pm
I think that design would be very tough on the hood hinge as well. Looks pretty cool though.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
bigdaddy13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdaddy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2017 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by Unkamonkey Unkamonkey wrote:

I did the hood mount on my MB, Tough to see the trail so the spare on the rear panel as it was supposed to be. Elegant solution to a non problem.
At least on the 48 Leftys they put the spare on the drivers side so you had a better view of it getting torn off by a tree or a rock.

Hahaha...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdaddy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2017 at 7:39pm
If i wanted a hood mount that allowed the hood to be opened freely, didnt strain the sheetmetal...and swung out for easy spare access...

I know, i know...might be a solution looking for a problem 😂, but i am steadfast in my dislike of the stock location and i dont want to clamp my tailgate shut for a MB-type mount. (And i dont really like swing-away's -kills either visibility or departure angle, in my experience, but that might end up being my next thought process...
cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2017 at 9:17pm
Honestly, I don't see the point.  As pointed out, it makes seeing the road harder,makes putting down the windscreen harder/impossible and makes raising the hood harder as well.   I just do whatever the military normally did (since they did EVERYTHING with these jeeps long before I was even born.  Mount the spare on the back along with the jerry can.  You can get rear bustle baskets for more storage.  I've seen pics of just about everything imaginable slung over on and around these jeeps, but rarely, if ever, have I seen stuff mounted with any formality to the hood. 
FrankUSMC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankUSMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2017 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by bigdaddy13 bigdaddy13 wrote:

Like this, Frank?

Yes, that is the mount!
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdaddy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2017 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by cal.bar cal.bar wrote:

Honestly, I don't see the point.  As pointed out, it makes seeing the road harder,makes putting down the windscreen harder/impossible and makes raising the hood harder as well.   I just do whatever the military normally did (since they did EVERYTHING with these jeeps long before I was even born.  Mount the spare on the back along with the jerry can.  You can get rear bustle baskets for more storage.  I've seen pics of just about everything imaginable slung over on and around these jeeps, but rarely, if ever, have I seen stuff mounted with any formality to the hood. 

Thanks for the post. I appreciate the input.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2017 at 10:58pm
Awww just go ahead and mount it like everybody elses'.....it just riles everybody up when you do it different from 'the herd'.  LOL LOL
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2017 at 11:28pm
He just wants it to look like a Land Rover.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2017 at 12:33am
These guys weren't too "formal" but they did manage to get there and back.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2017 at 1:06am
Yeah that's because their spare was on the back ...LOL
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2017 at 1:53am
Hey now!

Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2017 at 3:27am
Stan -- SAS Desert Long Range Patrol -- awesome Jeeps. They hung a lot of gear on theos Willys and Fords.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2017 at 3:36am
I think re-enforcing the tail gate makes more sense. I removed the tailgate on a 48 CJ2A and welded in a frame and sheet metal to make it a clone MB and then hung a spare and a gas can. I have never had a need to lower a tailgate on my 2A's but raising the hood is not optional.

Plus a lot of thought and engineering has gone into tale gate racks as seen on this site.
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2017 at 4:26am
Great thing is it is Jeep and you can have it your way.  

A few more options:
- You could mount the spare in front of the grill but behind the bumper.  I have seems some photos of WW2 Jeeps set up that way.  It would make it difficult to mount a winch with this set up - but it would solve lots of other issues.
- You could mount the spare under the bed - like a pick up truck.  This would require rerouting the muffler, relocating the frame cross member just in front of the rear frame rail and storing the tire deflated. Going to an MB style muffler is an easy conversion on a CJ2A.  Redesigning the cross member would need some thought but might be as easy as welding a big plate on top of the frame.  - A cable style tire hoist could be attached to the new plate frame rail to assist in getting the tire up and down.  An air compressor would allow for inflating of the tire.  There is about 26 inches of usable space between the frame rails.  A 16" stock tire deflated just might fit if you smash the tire in where it touches the frame rails. 

Stev

Edited by Stev - 12 Jan. 2017 at 4:16pm
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2017 at 4:40am
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

These guys weren't too "formal" but they did manage to get there and back.

I read somewhere that that particular jeep DIDN'T make it back.  It was destroyed by an airplane attack.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2017 at 5:17am
The LRDG were not driving classic Jeeps in the desert.  There were more Jeeps in the motor pool and some one to fix the broken ones.
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdaddy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2017 at 5:41pm
Well, thanks for the input y'all.

I think you may have talked me down from the ledge, so to speak.

I think I was thinking of a rear mounted tire as being a liability, but I've actually found a few vid's on youtube that make me a believer. here's one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkLR8w7rfHI

Those flatties are running Chinaman Gulch and specifically the obstacle around the 4minute mark was a paradigm shift for me.

That is likely very similar terrain to my planned trips, with single track peppered with exposed rounded granite boulder fields.

...and they do just fine.

And in the end, I think I could probably reinforce the hood appropriately, but loosing the visibility AND the fold-down windshield option are kind-of "sticking in my craw" at the moment.

I think I'm going to focus on engineering a swing out, or consider if bolting/securing/reinforcing my tailgate would work for me.

Edited by bigdaddy13 - 12 Jan. 2017 at 5:44pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>