Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hoosier @ Badlands Off-road Park - Event Date: 04 Nov. 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov. 2017 at 4:05am
The rocks look like fun, the water/mud -> not so much, to me.   

Looks like a fun day.
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov. 2017 at 7:11am
you’re not teasing me very much with that mud.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov. 2017 at 11:28am
The park has a good variety of different terain. Lots of sand and sandy climbs. For rock guys, there is the quarry, which has various rock challenges that can change due to weather and wet sand. The guys out west can simulate by smearing peanut butter on the front of Wipeout Hill. 

There is a creek with a rock bed  that runs through the property with several off shoots.  Wooded areas with high hill climbs and deep gulches. The picture of Nick that I posted is a mud hole on normal trail, no bypass, but there are areas where it’s nothing but mud.  A person can pretty much pick his or her poison, but there is no slick rock and no Rocky Mountains. 

Edited by jpet - 12 Nov. 2017 at 11:43am
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov. 2017 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

you’re not teasing me very much with that mud.

I gave up on deep mud and deep water years ago. Too much time involved to get things right after it. Laying under a Jeep with a hose to clean out a brake drum as you are soaking yourself in the wet yard. Nope. We ended up replacing about 1/2 of the bearings in the front of "The kids" F350 as he would go out with other kids from the HS and need to find water to play in. "How did that happen?".
uncamonkey
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov. 2017 at 1:51pm
Interesting,  I came home last night thinking I had a lot of fun. ..... I guess I was mistaken..... Anywho,  here is some footage:

MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Katiedid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katiedid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov. 2017 at 1:55pm
Jeff, I believe you did have fun.  You are sort of a fun magnet, or perhaps you can find the joy in anything.  Well done!
Katiedid
48 CJ2A Waltzing Matilda
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov. 2017 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by Katiedid Katiedid wrote:

Jeff, I believe you did have fun.  You are sort of a fun magnet, or perhaps you can find the joy in anything.  Well done!

I can vouch for this. Jeff is a fun magnet, not just for himself, but also for everyone around him.

Jeff, 
That rock quarry does look fun. You sure have to charge your strategy. That first climb you hit several times before getting over it with some increased speed, we would hardly notice in Moab do to our dry traction out here. Seems like every obstacle there was a challenge to determine the right mix of slow to maintain control, and speed to overcome the natural lubrication on the surface. Fun challenge! 
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov. 2017 at 7:54pm
Here is another video:

MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov. 2017 at 8:39pm
that all looks fun to me! Would like to make it out there one of these days.  Thx for sharing the fun with us.
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov. 2017 at 9:33pm
Here is some footage from last weekend with my grandson, Dylan and his other paw paw, Grant. 

MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov. 2017 at 2:50am
Looks like Bam Bam took on some water going up into that big culvert.  Hope your gear inside dried out okay!
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov. 2017 at 5:36am
What a ride! It was a blast chugging along with Jeff and Dennis. As I watched the footage it struck me - after restoring my Jeep, the first time it returned to the trails was at Dirty Turtle with Jeff. Both our Jeeps have gotten a bit banged up since then, but the memories are priceless. Nothing is more fun in a flat fender than leaving pavement.

This was the most I've ever been on rocky terrain; in this region all we have is mud. This picture captures the entire reason I restored my Jeep. Nothing is more fun than battling for traction with 4-wheels slinging mud while water pours in the tub.

Or as Jeff prefers... using the tub as a bucket! Big smile

Watch til the end of the video. It's one thing to read about crawl gear ratios, but amazing to watch in person. Bam Bam executes this difficult rock course well. In fact, he put a Wrangler to shame earlier that day.

(You might want to open another tab and listen to some music, my phone audio is weird)

After this ride, the watered down gear oil represents a trophy.

Edited by Nick_ - 13 Nov. 2017 at 5:38am
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov. 2017 at 10:14am
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

Looks like Bam Bam took on some water going up into that big culvert.  Hope your gear inside dried out okay!
yup. I will drain all my oil cases and replace. 
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 2017 at 3:47am
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

Here is another video:

This video made me laugh out loud at 7:30 when the muffler got flattened. Thanks for posting!
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 2017 at 4:48am
FUN videos to watch for sure!
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec. 2018 at 10:24pm
Hi all,

Here is the 2018 video for Badlands Off-road park:

... not as much BAM BAM footage as before but still some pretty cool stuff. My brother-in-law Terry is driving his Ranger and the others are Roy, Ryan and Dalton Nichols who are friends of mine from church. If was semi muddy but not near as much standing water as last year when I was there. Ryan just bought the TJ. It is his first jeep and this was his first time wheeling. I was expecting to be tugging him all over the park but I was wrong. That stock, open/open TJ made it around very well. Only thing he did was disconnect the front sway bar and drop his tire pressure to 12 psi.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec. 2018 at 4:45am
Another fun video to watch. 
Was that big culvert not as deep this time, or does that line to the left keep you out of the deeper part?  Seemed a lot deeper from the video last year.

One of these times it’s going to be my turn to come east to you rather than you always coming out here.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec. 2018 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

..Was that big culvert not as deep this time, or does that line to the left keep you out of the deeper part?  Seemed a lot deeper from the video last year. ....
Yes, and Yes. There was not near as much water this year.   I have to approach the obstacle from the left. In order to get a tire up and miss my bumper. Through trial and error last year, (as shown in the video), I found out that the far left is easy. The highlight for BAM BAM this year was the rock ledge obstacle right after the tubes. Last year I did not have enough tranny fluid to attempt it but with the experience I’ve gained since last season, (thanks to you guys), this year it looked smaller. It actually took me 7 minutes to get over that ledge but now I know how to do it so next year, I suspect it will be a nothing burger.

Quote ...One of these times it’s going to be my turn to come east to you rather than you always coming out here.
How about this Saturday. We are going to Moonlight Racing in Sullivan, MO.

Edited by jpet - 30 Dec. 2018 at 1:07pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>