Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hope Yall Don't Mind

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willy M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hope Yall Don't Mind
    Posted: 18 July 2017 at 4:38pm
The one vehicle that I truly regret having let get away was my trusty ol' Jeep ('80 CJ5) that was my daily driver for several years.  Retired now, I've decided to get another Jeep, but this time around I'm wanting a CJ2A or a CJ3A (I hope the 3's not blasphemy here).  I'm still in the looking around mode, getting a feel for pricing and what all can be done with one.  So, I'm going to be "looking over shoulders" just generally being nosy for now, trying to learn as much as I can about early CJs.  

I was a diesel mechanic for years and used to build hot rodded pickups so I kind of know which end of the wrench to use (Hey, it's a 50/50 shot anyway).  But figured it was time I quit lurking and try to figure out what questions to ask.  

Willy

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2017 at 5:04pm
Welcome aboard, Willy M... smart to go full on research mode first Smile
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
bretto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2017 at 5:29pm
3's aren't blasphemous here at all.  In fact there are a few sites around for each specific flatty but this site is probably at the upper pinnacle for all.

Be sure to check out Dave's site ewillys.com in your searches.
And welcome,
Brett
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2017 at 6:18pm
Hi Willy and welcome to the forum.

discussion on all jeeps is welcome even though everybody knows that the CJ2A is the greatest jeep ever made. ... right Bob W?
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2017 at 8:30pm
Opinions will vary.  How about we stick with the FACTS.  The 3A is far more durable than a 2A...and much more rare.Big smileApprove
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2017 at 8:51pm
And here we go again!!LOL
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2017 at 8:58pm
... the 2A has more awesomeness ... it's called the "Awesome FACT-or"

BOOM! 

Edited by jpet - 18 July 2017 at 9:00pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2017 at 9:59pm
Hard to say, they allowed me on here and I have a 3B and a Commando.
We all do seem to speak Jeep here.
uncamonkey
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2017 at 11:39pm
Originally posted by athawk11 athawk11 wrote:

Opinions will vary.  How about we stick with the FACTS.  The 3A is far more durable than a 2A...and much more rare.Big smileApprove

X2
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2017 at 12:12am
People are allowed their opinions I did my best to destroy my MB and all that I did was to replace axle shafts in the 23 2 rear axle. I got good at digging parts out.
I was driving along the frontage road near Avon CO and broke an axle In my 3B.
wtf? it sort of screwed up my trip to Moab.
uncamonkey
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2017 at 12:53am
Outrageous! A 3A on the 2A page!?!

As long as we see pictures I think we will all let it slide.
Willy M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willy M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2017 at 2:37am
I appreciate the welcome and sure didn't mean to stir any pots.  Heck, I've always thought the flat fenders were best looking of the CJ series.  

It's probably gonna be a while before I buy one, but my Dad taught me years ago, when getting into something, learn all you can about it before hand then jump in.   I'm not looking for a restored one or a project.  Just a good driver that I can putt around locally in and fiddle with as necessary.  

Thanks again for the welcome!
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2017 at 3:00am
Who needs FACTS? And what about the 3B? or M38?

I'm only right 25% of the time when I use a 4 way lug wrench...
bretto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2017 at 3:08am
As you see, all variants are discussed here.Thumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs Up
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2017 at 1:49pm
As for me I am a 3B guy, but discussion of all old jeeps is a good thing in my humble opinion.
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2017 at 2:36am
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

Hi Willy and welcome to the forum.

discussion on all jeeps is welcome even though everybody knows that the CJ2A is the greatest jeep ever made. ... right Bob W?

When Willys realized the CJ-2A could be improved - they made the CJ-3A.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2017 at 2:55am

Don't be deceived Willy.  Even our beloved 2Apage is not immune to the "fake news" produced by the 3X guys.  When you are in that situation, all it takes is three little magic words and they turn green with envy:   bow storage brackets 
Cool

MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Willy M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willy M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2017 at 3:43am
My problem is that they both have features I like.  The 3A tub with the extra leg room (or in my case belly to steering wheel clearance) and the "swing out" 2 pc windshield of the 2A.  Which is one of the reasons, I'm not looking at restorations.  I have always had this odd tendency to redo my vehicles the way I want them.  

I'll probably end up with a CJ2.5A

Willy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>