Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hot weather jeeping

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2018 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by misterberry misterberry wrote:

I happen  to be down  in Los Angeles to see my new grandson and it is supposed to be 115 tomorrow...that is hot , hot , hot for a Canucklehead like me....

My wife had a Facebook friend from somewhere very different from Minnesota Wink post that she had seen on a national weather channel that there were heat advisories posted in Minnesota due to the forecast highs in the low- to mid 90s the next few days.  Yah sure, that's hot for us up here, you betcha.  But her response was "Oh bless you Minnesota!"
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2018 at 6:43am
Stan, you say the windshield is "only stabilized by the hinge thumbscrews".  Don't you have the latches for the bottom of the w/s frame? 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2018 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

Stan, you say the windshield is "only stabilized by the hinge thumbscrews".  Don't you have the latches for the bottom of the w/s frame? 

Yes, but I’m talking about when you have the windshield up and then swing the glass out and prop it up for ventilation. I need the frame to hold the bikini top, but I need the air the keep from cooking myself.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Katiedid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katiedid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2018 at 1:15pm
Stan, I have run my jeep the way you describe and you're right on all counts. I worry about the glass if I hit a bump, and the windshield frame is in the way, but after a morning of no top/windshield down fun the shade is welcome. It makes me appreciate going topless all the more!

It's kinda like cooking on the grill, sear it for a while then cover and let it get tender. Mmmm good!
Katiedid
48 CJ2A Waltzing Matilda
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2018 at 5:08am
For further reporting in this topic by me, see this thread:

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2018 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by Katiedid Katiedid wrote:

It makes me appreciate going topless all the more!

Aw Shucks Miss Kate!EmbarrassedEmbarrassedEmbarrassedEmbarrassed
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2018 at 7:50pm
I spent some army time in Kuwait during the summer months. I also ran a few summer rotations through Ft. Irwin, Cali.

My advice is windshield up with the bikini top. I'd also recommend a light colored t-shirt under a thin, loose, light-colored long sleeve shirt. Trust me, it helps.

In triple-digit desert heat, you need at least one quart of water every 30 minutes.

If I could to with you in my jeep, or also bring a spare fan belt, rad hoses, and 5 gallons of extra water just for the jeep.

Of course, I'm ocd with this kind of prep and you live there. You know what you're doing.

Have fun and take a bunch of pics!
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
Cinnabear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cinnabear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2018 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by LesBerg LesBerg wrote:

I spent some army time in Kuwait during the summer months. I also ran a few summer rotations through Ft. Irwin, Cali.

My advice is windshield up with the bikini top. I'd also recommend a light colored t-shirt under a thin, loose, light-colored long sleeve shirt. Trust me, it helps.

In triple-digit desert heat, you need at least one quart of water every 30 minutes.

If I could to with you in my jeep, or also bring a spare fan belt, rad hoses, and 5 gallons of extra water just for the jeep.

Of course, I'm ocd with this kind of prep and you live there. You know what you're doing.

Have fun and take a bunch of pics!

Great advice, if I could add just a little. I carry a small survival bag (I taught survival) with a couple protein bars and a lifestraw, in addition to copious amounts of water. Also, leave an itinerary with someone....Having wheeled all over the Southwest the heat is brutal on you and your vehicle....a hat and sunscreen are a must, and as mentioned a light, loose, long sleeve shirt is lifesaver.

Edited by Cinnabear - 11 July 2018 at 8:06pm
1947 CJ-2A Willys
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12