Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How does the oil filter work?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How does the oil filter work?
    Posted: 16 July 2017 at 12:58am
Changing fluids in The Good Dog. I took my filter assembly apart to clean it out and replace the filter.

I want to make sure I'm understanding how the 2A bypass filter system works...

The oil is fed into the top of the housing, on the outside of the filter, through this fitting: 

The oil fills the filter housing and perks through the filter from the outside in. The filter sits on the stand pipe, held in the correct position by the spacer below.

The oil then weeps though this single small hole in the stand pipe....
And then drains through the return line at the bottom of the housing.

Do I have this right? If so, it seems incredibly inefficient. It seems that the standpipe should have a few more holes in it.

Am I missing something?

Steve
Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2017 at 3:00am
Don't open the hole or drill more....as its a bypass filter its getting a portion of the oil flow at the end of the lube system.

If you create a bigger hole it has the same effect as very worn bearings and your oil pressure will drop right off.

On a modern car the oil is sucked from the oil pan, the all pumped through the filter and then its off to lube everything.

On the Jeep, its a small percentage that's filtered, a "bypass" amount.

Its better than nothing!.

Adrian
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2017 at 3:17am
It doesn't weep through that orifice (hole) but is forced through it by the oil pressure of the engine. That is why that hole is small to keep from losing engine oil pressure at that point. The filter canister holds the same oil pressure as the engine. Hope this helps a little.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2017 at 4:09am
Originally posted by Adrian Adrian wrote:

Its better than nothing!.

Adrian

Not much!

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
srlbotanical View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2017 at 1:30pm
LOL

Thanks all. 

Now I understand why some of these jeeps never had an oil filter. 

I did clean out about a half inch of sludge from the bottom of that canister... So it was catching somthing...

I also had no idea it was orange until I started cleaning it off a bit. 

Edited by srlbotanical - 16 July 2017 at 1:39pm
Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2017 at 8:16pm
If you think that the filter is not filtering much, take the outlet hose off and you will see how much and how fast the oil is being filtered.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2017 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by WeeWilly WeeWilly wrote:

If you think that the filter is not filtering much, take the outlet hose off and you will see how much and how fast the oil is being filtered.

Jim

I most likely filters quite well no argument there at all!....

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2017 at 11:18pm
They only filter around 10% of the oil but at least some of it gets filtered.
uncamonkey
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2017 at 11:53pm
It ALL gets filtered eventually, and since the flow volume is low, the filter medium can be much finer, more restrictive, and removes particles much smaller than a full-flow filter can.  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
markcl52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markcl52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2017 at 1:25am
I once forgot to tighten the lid on after an oil change. It's amazing how much oil squirted out in the 60 seconds the engine was running before I realized what was happening. 
TateC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TateC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2020 at 8:40pm
I know this is an older thread but I have a question somewhat related. I recently installed a rebuilt engine in to our 45’ CJ and have had it running and it kept good oil pressure. Later when I went to retorque the head nuts after running it, I found I had to remove the inlet line going to the filter and found it to be dry with no traces of oil. I didn’t have the engine running super long but I figured there should be some traces of oil in the line going to the filter. Should I be concerned? Or did I not run the engine long enough to get oil up through the line? 
Thanks 
Tate Christensen
1941 Ford GP #9687
1943 Willys MB #263100
1944 Ford GPW #234613
1945 Willys CJ2A #10226
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2020 at 8:59pm
The Oil most likely drained back down the hose once the pump stops turning there is nothing keeping the oil in the line.

As to the guys in the early part of this thread. If you have 20lbs of oil pressure oil is passing through that filter at the rate of 20 psi. All the oil is filtered every few min. The only difference is if the filter gets plugged you won't starve the engine like a modern filter system will. The Bypass style filtration is very effective.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2020 at 9:02pm
If you want to know how effective take the intake side line off and put it in a pint jar start the engine and see how long it takes to fill the jar. Multiply that time by 10 and you will have how long it takes for the filter to filter 5 quarts of oil. And it does this continuously while the engine is running. SO unless you think every time the oil goes through the engine it needs to be recleaned its doing its job just fine.  
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2020 at 1:21am
1951 M38
1951 M100
Triton28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triton28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2020 at 1:23am
So on my 46 the POV removed the stock filter and plumbed the oil lines to a screw on oil filter, will this be ok for the motor or should I change it back to original?
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2020 at 2:14am
Originally posted by TateC TateC wrote:

I know this is an older thread but I have a question somewhat related. I recently installed a rebuilt engine in to our 45’ CJ and have had it running and it kept good oil pressure. Later when I went to retorque the head nuts after running it, I found I had to remove the inlet line going to the filter and found it to be dry with no traces of oil. I didn’t have the engine running super long but I figured there should be some traces of oil in the line going to the filter. Should I be concerned? Or did I not run the engine long enough to get oil up through the line? 
Thanks 

Oil should have been there almost instantly. Is it possible that someone before you fell for that old wives’ tale and blocked the feed line? Check your feed line for openness and look for a BB in the block fitting. BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2020 at 5:49am
Originally posted by Triton28 Triton28 wrote:

So on my 46 the POV removed the stock filter and plumbed the oil lines to a screw on oil filter, will this be ok for the motor or should I change it back to original?

If there is a .055 diameter restriction in one of the lines you should be OK. However, as I understand it, the original filter element would strain out much smaller particles than the new spin-on filters do. If it were mine I would go with an original one.
 Post Reply Post Reply