Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How Many of Us Really Wheel Your Jeep??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 14>
Author
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2017 at 10:57am
Originally posted by leecarr leecarr wrote:

No places to wheel where I am, used to be a few but not any more. The power lines and gas lines are lines are all gated. Do anything within 100' of a wetland and you go to jail. Some of beaches on the national seashore are open but not all the time. We used to be able to go out there any time in the off season for free, now more gates.

Still a few spots out west here. Lots of class 6 roads just over the border in NH. That's where I plan to spend some time this summer. If you're interested, I'll keep you posted. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
Mike Gardner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Gardner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2017 at 11:45am

No places to wheel where I am, used to be a few but not any more. The power lines and gas lines are lines are all gated. Do anything within 100' of a wetland and you go to jail. Some of beaches on the national seashore are open but not all the time. We used to be able to go out there any time in the off season for free, now more gates.

I may be able to help a little. Where in mass are you? I have accounts up there and a few jeep friends.
1945 CJ-2A 11713
1995 YJ 4.0
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2017 at 12:39pm
I feel leecarrs pain here in eastern MA, and while a piece of me feels somehow partially responsible, back in the day powerlines, gaslines, sandpits, quarries were weekend playgrounds
It's just what ya did.  IMO, more places have been lost because of illegal dumping and a general MA "fu" to hunting dwindelling open space.

As far as wheeling my 46, I'm only doing what it was designed to do, and so long as I take care of it and don't intentionally trash it there's no guilt here
(It's in far better shape now than when I bought it regardless of use...that's my yardstick)
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2017 at 8:48pm
I'm way east almost in the ocean, just shy of Cape Cod. Any place interesting is half a day away, my kids used to go down the power lines and pick up junk to scrap and the fish police wouldn't bother them to much but can't even do that any more. The power lines around here where great because there was plenty of crazy mud holes and hills but there was always an easy way around if you wanted. There is a cruise night every Monday next door to me, if I'm lucky I might make it there. The last year I had my Harley I put 100 miles on it. Always seems to be that needs doing, but that's me.
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2017 at 9:54pm

I'm way east almost in the ocean, just shy of Cape Cod. Any place interesting is half a day away, my kids used to go down the power lines and pick up junk to scrap and the fish police wouldn't bother them to much but can't even do that any more. The power lines around here where great because there was plenty of crazy mud holes and hills but there was always an easy way around if you wanted. There is a cruise night every Monday next door to me, if I'm lucky I might make it there. The last year I had my Harley I put 100 miles on it. Always seems to be that needs doing, but that's me.

Yep, you're kind of screwed out that way. I have good friends in Plymouth. They often talk about how many trails there once were out there. Out here in the western part of MA, there were once trails for days - literally in my back yard. Now almost all are gone, blocked off, gated or became "conservation" land. 

But there are a few gems still. If you ever have a hankering, come on out. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2017 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by nofender nofender wrote:

I have good friends in Plymouth. They often talk about how many trails there once were out there. 

We used to weekend in Myles Standish...  a jeep, a tent, a full tank..friday night after work til sunday afternoon... Unhappy
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2017 at 11:57pm
Myles Standish is 10 minutes from my house and a good part of it is in Plimoth, some of the best spots around were in there. There was a spot called idiots hole, I like to think they named it after one of my kids but it was there when I was a kid. They go to Vermonster now, big mud thing up there twice a year. There are some great hills in Plimoth unfortunately most of the go straight into the Atlantic Ocean.

Edited by leecarr - 01 May 2017 at 12:01am
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 4:51pm
Found this pic last night, such that it is... definitely MS, circa 1985 I think
BryanB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BryanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct. 2017 at 9:44am
BryanB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BryanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct. 2017 at 9:46am
My pals 48 and my 59
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct. 2017 at 11:22pm
Yuck!
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Doodledad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doodledad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2017 at 8:39pm
Here are a few pics of Eileen at AOAA Park in Treverton PA area. It has a TON to offer everybody. We go every few weeks. If anyone wants to hook up PM me. 

Edited by Doodledad - 11 Nov. 2017 at 8:48pm
46 2A 29938 (unrestored driver)
51 3A "Wilma"
55 3B Fountain
47 2A Yard Art
97 XJ “Lafaunduh”
00 TJ RockCrawler "Hooker"
13 Rubicon JKU "Alice"
48 C2A Eileen
00 TJ frame off resto “Stacy”
mictat2214 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mictat2214 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2017 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

Found this pic last night, such that it is... definitely MS, circa 1985 I think
 Can't see pic.
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov. 2017 at 3:53am
Love that parking space on top of rock. !!
Jerry45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov. 2017 at 6:02am
I couldn't and would do any heavy off-roading with Woody. He's too original any much more valuable as an unrestored 1945 CJ-2A. Maybe some day I'll get another jeep to have some "rough" times with. :)

1945 CJ-2A #11802
1950? Szekley Navy APU Jeep
Bantum BTC-3 Trailer

"They can have my Jeep when they pry it from my cold, dead hands."
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov. 2017 at 7:11am
Originally posted by Jerry45 Jerry45 wrote:

I couldn't and would do any heavy off-roading with Woody. He's too original any much more valuable as an unrestored 1945 CJ-2A. Maybe some day I'll get another jeep to have some "rough" times with. :)

I'm with Jerry, although mines not in Woodys league I have restored it back very close to original and I am more than happy to give it a good workout off road its not my intention to beat it to death.

What ever floats your boat...

I have had heaps of 4x4s over the years, rolled some, drowned some, torn mudguards off, shot them accidently (rabbit running under my Landrover, The bonnet got peppered when we were night shooting) 12g v Alloy....

You can still have a heap of fun without wrecking them.

Maybe I am just older and wiser?.....
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
Doodledad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doodledad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov. 2017 at 1:15pm
I can agree with not taking any chances with the 45. When mine is complete 10308 I’ll enjoy driving not wheeling her. 
46 2A 29938 (unrestored driver)
51 3A "Wilma"
55 3B Fountain
47 2A Yard Art
97 XJ “Lafaunduh”
00 TJ RockCrawler "Hooker"
13 Rubicon JKU "Alice"
48 C2A Eileen
00 TJ frame off resto “Stacy”
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov. 2017 at 4:32pm
From all the pictures and videos posted on this site, I think that some folks really get off the beaten path.
I suppose it depends on what dirt, rock, gravel and back roads are available close to home. 
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 14>