Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How Many of Us Really Wheel Your Jeep??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 121314
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2017 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

..... oh, and bkwudz and nofender,  nice rigs!  I’m going to be in Mass next month. Maybe we can hook up.

And your rig is very cool too Low! Nice shot!

Originally posted by bkwudz bkwudz wrote:

Let us know when,   Maybe we can plan a little get together in the BARAGE

I'm going to be in Newburyport next week. I will have some time Wednesday evening if anyone wants to get together. Have rental, will travel.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2017 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by Unkamonkey Unkamonkey wrote:

Actually 10. 8 in the rear and 2 in the front. If I remember 1 was an old REO and the other was a GMC. All axles were powered. Look up things like the Red Ball Express movie. Basically the same running gear but these had a modern engine in them.
Actually the correct military nomenclature for such an arrangement is "Truck, Cargo, 2 1/2 ton, 6x6" They don't count the driving tires, only the driving axles.

War II examples include the GMC CCKW, the IHC M-5H-6 series used by the Marine Corps and the Studebaker US6.

The Korean War example would have been the GMC "Hydramatic" M211 series trucks of the early 50's

By the time Vietnam was a issue, the M35 series of 6x6 trucks were in use. Some of the later built ones were still in use in Iraq according to my brother, who spent a year there in 2009. I would imagine that they are all gone by now because no one in the military anymore know how to use a clutch. Everything has a Allison transmission in it now.

46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2017 at 1:44am

..... oh, and bkwudz and nofender,  nice rigs!  I’m going to be in Mass next month. Maybe we can hook up.

And your rig is very cool too Low! Nice shot!

Originally posted by bkwudz bkwudz wrote:

Let us know when,   Maybe we can plan a little get together in the BARAGE

I'm going to be in Newburyport next week. I will have some time Wednesday evening if anyone wants to get together. Have rental, will travel.

Just my luck.....I'll be in Baltimore on Wednesday.....

You won't be too far from bkwudz neck of the woods though.
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2018 at 3:09pm
    Here is couple of photos of my first 2A a 1946, and I had lost an alternator on the way to the Rubicon Trail in 1984. We of course lost it on a Friday night late only 2-hours from home, and had to camp the night on the road. Found a replacement in Sacramento the following morning.
   We drove all the way through from Wentworth Springs (west-end) to Lake Tahoe (east-end) this trip.
   To me, the Nevada side of the trail is Boring, well except Cadillac-Hill.

I had prepped the jeep by rebuilding Everything but the electrical, which was in pretty good condition. I put the Armstrong Tru-Tracs off of my '77 CJ-7 for the run, and installed a Saginaw PS box using ( I think Advance-Adapters PS plate ), and cut-and-modified a '76 Vette tilt-telescopic column and wheel.
   If my memory serves me correctly, I also had installed new wheel cylinders with a slightly larger Bore-size than stock for better "push" on the shoes.

I modified the spring clamps for increased Suspension-Droop, and long Monroe shocks to accommodate the increased suspension travel.

( if you don't have fancy Locking-Diffs, having good-Articulation is good thing for getting traction .... yep )

This next photo is showing me dropping down over the big-boulder at the top of the Big-Sluice-Box.

If you run the Rubicon Trail from west-to-east and turn around at the bottom of the Big-Sluice, at the Rubicon Springs, and head back westerly towards Loon Lake, then you get to Climb-up-and-Over the obstacles on your way Out. To me ...... this is the Challenging part of the Trail. Yes.

Otherwise running easterly from Spider Lake to the Rubicon Springs (river), you are just dropping-down over the good obstacles .... easy

Oh too, one thing for you 2A owners running stock rigs, if you have made a rear-spare-tire rack, keep in mind that if you leave the original Draw-Bar-hitch intact, with the droopy trailer-ball flange, ... leave it in Place to act as a "skid" to lower the back-end gently down off those boulders.

Note - the Big Old Sluice is on the west side of Buck-island Resivoir, and goes mostly Striaght-Up the southern portion of what I call the "Slabs", which are the off-camber portion between Spider Lake, and Buck Island Reservoir.
   Remember - Low center of gravity may prevent a roll-over. (think low-CG)

The granite slabs get real dusty during the summer, which means "slippery" because of the dust, and sometimes you have to spin the tires to let them burn-through the dust to solid granite.

Personally, I would give a High-Five to anyone who drives through this white-knuckle trail with No-Power-Steering.

My second summer to take the '46 through the Rubicon, we popped a rear spring-eye off the passenger-side rear spring-pack.
   I chained the spring-pack to the frame-rail and we drove-back-out after camping at Spider Lake for 2-days.

Fun times .......

Note - in my area here in Shasta County, we have lots of Lava Rock to the east and red-dirt to the west.
   The standard 3-speed T-90 Transmission with 5:38 gears is sufficient for most 4-wheeling locally.
   But, that doggon Rubicon Trail pretty much requires 50:1 final ratio or lower to Comfortably traverse Granite-strewn playground.
   ( otherwise you Will-spill-your-Beverage ) ..... hahaha, there goes the cool-aid onto the ground.

What's in your Cool-Aid ?

Len
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2018 at 3:21pm
All that gear so high up makes me nervous. Do you recall any scary moments with all that weight in the air?

a group of us did do the Rubicon last year, and a couple of us had the stock steering. I was exhausted after three days on the trail. I'm ready to do it again though.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2018 at 5:20pm
Stan,

No, actually I had a lot of Ballast on the floor-boards, and only clothing, and bedding ( 3-inch foam ) was crammed in the roof basket.

( I made the roof-rack with Oxy / Acyt torch-welding as I didn't have a mig yet )

The little 4-cyl powers the PS pump without strain ( AC Delco of course ).

..... i'll bet you will take spare-gloves next trip, and knuckle-grease.

Hahahaha

Hey, ... i noticed that when heavily loaded (for 4-days with 3-kids and 2-dogs, that the rear could really benefit with Air-Bags to hold the jeep high enough, that the rear shackles are not "laying almost flat", which puts lots of pressure trying to push the rear-spring-eye Off-of-the-spring-leaf.

The jeep actually sat very low, and i had set my bump-stops to the 32-inch Tru Tracks didn't tear-up the fender-wells in a Big-Twist.

There are two-other great Trails up out of Fresno, California which are similar to the Rubicon.
First one is the Dusy-Ershim trail ..... a 3-day trail.
Second is near the Dusy, and called the Swampy-Lake trail.

I took my father through the Dusy-Ershim trail back in 1987 in my '77 CJ-7 with the fiberglass top on.

If i were to take my recent '46 through the Rubicon, i would definitely install the 32-inch tires again off my CJ-7 just for the benefit of soft ride and traction-gain of being able to air down to 12-lbs.

Here is a pointer to consider (anyone new to wheeling)
When you air-down your tires you decrease the rolling-radius, which may aid in lowering your gearing for traversing a tough section.

Good God ..... my knuckles just ache thinking about running that Rubicon with Arm-Strong-Steering.

...... a good excuse for Frequent Cool-Aid-Stops !!

My wife and children were with me most trips though the rubicon trail, and we ran solo, so i had carried loads of tools and spare parts, and extra battery in a boat-box, for welding if needed.

I would carry a spare front driveshaft,
and for the rear, i had a piece of Tube the right lenght to slip over the ends of the rear to weld up in case i twisted the rear. Yes, just cut the bent pieces off with the hack-saw, and weld the tube to the yoke with the tw0-batteries giving you 24-volts.

The Poor-Mans Welder - two 12v batteries hooked in series. yep a lifesaver.

Len .............. yes, i still have grease under my nails.
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb. 2018 at 3:23pm
My son and I wheeled in Grayling, MI this summer. You can tell that we were right where we were supposed to be by the sign. We beat it up pretty good that weekend.
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb. 2018 at 3:27pm
Sorry, here's the sign.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 121314