Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How Many of Us Really Wheel Your Jeep??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 14>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carsandguns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2014 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by JakeJ JakeJ wrote:

This is my 47' CJ2A last weekend. First time out with the Kubota engine. (thanks to Overland Diesel)

This is a great looking Jeep and I would be interested in hearing more about the diesel swap.  Have you done a build thread? 

jeepfreak81 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepfreak81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2014 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by NCtoy NCtoy wrote:

Jeepfreak81 I really like your jeep. I've been reading your build thread the last couple of weeks. I really like the old school wheeler build.

Loving this thread and seeing jeeps get used! Sadly I don't have any real wheeling pics of mine. Hope to change that this year.

Thanks!  It has been a really fun Jeep.  Sometimes I wish it was pretty, or that I wish I had a nice solid CJ2A, but then I take it to the trails and use it and remember why I never took the time to make it pretty, I like using it too much.  

1st Jeep, V8 YJ, A winch and a Foot... Trail Tested

2nd Jeep 1946 CJ2A 6 Cylinders - Time Tested and wheeled

2008 Hummer H3

1929 Model A Standard Coupe

1966 M416
Metcalf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2014 at 1:08am
Used! 

These old things are a bucket of fun! 

42 MB that had a one night stand with a much younger 69 CJ5 and a 50s GM truck.

kansascat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kansascat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2014 at 3:32am
I almost made the mistake of restoring my 3A to nice to take out and enjoy. Boy that would have really been a mistake for us as we have waaaaay to much fun going on exploration adventures with it.

So many projects and so little time.
mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2014 at 1:22pm
Hi KansasCat

Where abouts in Kansas are you? I have gone out to see my son in the Holton Kansas area and as far West as Manhattan Kansas.....I have never seen hills that big???

Any insight would be great.

MikeC

I am the squirrel....
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2014 at 5:07pm
This isn't Kansas, Toto.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
52 M38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2014 at 5:14pm
Seeing all the new postings about this is getting me revved up for Spring.  I am still waiting for the cage shop to start on my jeep, but by MAR the body should have no holes and a really nice cage.  I can't wait.  My son asked the other day "when will Sparky will be ready to go through the woods again?"  Soon ;-)
Friendofwillys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Friendofwillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2014 at 9:57pm
I took mine into the woods in Barnwell Mountain offroad park here in Texas last spring. This machines are amazing offroad! I loved it so much to go on the trails. When I took my JK on the same trail the other day it was way less exciting and I had the feeling of beeing totally isolated from the trail. The CJ2A give much more feedback. If I find some nice pictures I will post them.
Carsandguns View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carsandguns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2014 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by Friendofwillys Friendofwillys wrote:

I took mine into the woods in Barnwell Mountain offroad park here in Texas last spring. This machines are amazing offroad! I loved it so much to go on the trails. When I took my JK on the same trail the other day it was way less exciting and I had the feeling of beeing totally isolated from the trail. The CJ2A give much more feedback. If I find some nice pictures I will post them.

Another member and I were talking about this last weekend. Both of us have / had a lot more competent Jeeps than a stock flat fender but there is something cool about getting back to basics.  Skinny tires, non flexible suspension, steep gears instead of big HP.    

How is Barnwell? I have not been there in years. I cut the sidewall out of a brand new 35" BFG Mud T/A that had literally about .5 miles on it. Had the tires installed, drove it up onto the trailer and made it to the first turn of the first trail and caught the sidewall on a small stump that someone had cut at an angle when they were clearing the trail. Still was a fun trip and a great place to wheel.

Friendofwillys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Friendofwillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2014 at 4:25pm

It's now a year ago I was in Barnwell and I heard they did a lot of improvements since then. So I can talk only for that time.

The trails are great, you can go long ways not hitting a spot twice. However, I have to say backl than the trail markings and difficult ratings were not very accurate. I hit a big step in a Jeep -1 ATV -2 rated trail where I had no other chance to back up and leave the trail. But if you are careful enough and check what you get into it is a wonderful offroad park with trails for every taste.
Once again, the Willys was doing great. I put 4-low in only for the hard obstacles. And it's great to experience that you have to think ahead and prepare for each part of the trail ahead.
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2014 at 4:44pm
Would like to hear more about Barnwell.. like location, cost, what's near it, etc...Do they have a place we could have a jeep show/swap meet nearby?
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2014 at 9:48pm
BMRA is a great place to wheel, used to go there when I lived in the DFW area, 3 hrs away, my son and I were driving there and heard sonic booms while driving on I20 as the space shuttle was breaking apart. It was a sad day as we looked for parts as we wheeled only to find out later it was farther south. My Dad found a piece of the shuttle in his yard in Johnson county.

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

flatfender47 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatfender47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2014 at 10:14pm
1983 Devil's Slide Pismo Beach CA

So Cal desert camping trip 2009

in Glamis sand dunes trim

Coyote Lake/Red Lake trail out of Fresno, bantam in tow

camped at Cerro Gordo bunkhouse

Glamis Dunes

jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2014 at 10:33pm
Figured I better add a few pics too from out trip to Choccoloco Mountian in east Alabama.

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

kansascat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kansascat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2014 at 4:05am
Originally posted by mikec4193 mikec4193 wrote:

Hi KansasCat

Where abouts in Kansas are you? I have gone out to see my son in the Holton Kansas area and as far West as Manhattan Kansas.....I have never seen hills that big???

Any insight would be great.

MikeC

Mike, the snow pic and the lake pic were taken in ks. The mountain pics were i colorado and the sand dunes pic was down at waynoka oklahoma little sahara state park. I built Wilbur to take out and have family fun in it...and thats what we are doing. This year we plan to of course do the colorado summer divide ride injuly with it, and several more weekends at waynoka, probably go over to mo and play in the mark twain forest rec area and down to the gulf coast to play on the beech some plus some more lake picknic trips and a few overnight camping trips. By not taking your pile out and getting it dirty and using the 4wd your really missing out on the finer things in life...IMO. :)
Oh, and i am located just south of wichita ks about 15 miles.
So many projects and so little time.
robplumber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robplumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2014 at 10:21pm
Metcalf, what tires do you have? They look awesome!
1953 cj3a modified
1947 cj2a stock and beautiful
1998 xj lifted
1999 xj stock
Metcalf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2014 at 11:52pm
Originally posted by robplumber robplumber wrote:

Metcalf, what tires do you have? They look awesome!

They are 35x13.5x15 BFG Krawlers. 

42 MB that had a one night stand with a much younger 69 CJ5 and a 50s GM truck.

jet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2014 at 1:28am
Originally posted by Carsandguns Carsandguns wrote:

Originally posted by JakeJ JakeJ wrote:

This is my 47' CJ2A last weekend. First time out with the Kubota engine. (thanks to Overland Diesel)

This is a great looking Jeep and I would be interested in hearing more about the diesel swap.  Have you done a build thread? 

wow-that is cool................

2010 2 door jk,
46 Willys aka "Big Bird".
Dave
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 14>