Forum Home Forum Home > Suggestions, Comments and Testing > Testing and Support for the forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to add a picture to a post.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karl H. Pohl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar. 2007 at 1:35am

What? Image shack makes avatars of a 100 X 75 Pixel style?

The Forum only allows a max of 80 X 80 Pixels.

How did you manage that?

Karl H. Pohl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karl H. Pohl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar. 2007 at 1:38am

Hey, listen if you are using imageshack.us to resize your avatar you are wasting your time.

What you need to do is use your own photo editor and resize it to 79 X 79 Pixels.

Something like PhotoShop or Microsoft Picture editor will work fine.

Once you have saved your resized avatar go ahead and upload it to the site via the profile option.

Ta Da  Resolved.

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar. 2007 at 11:24am
Gee, Mister Pohl, I just did this avatar on Imageshack and it turned out fine, no waste of time at all........so now what?

Ta Da !

Edited by rocnroll - 11 Mar. 2007 at 11:28am
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar. 2007 at 4:38pm
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, I've shrunk a photo to 50x40 pixels and the upload says it's still too large (maximum 15kb) if I get it any smaller, it's unrecognizable as anything, what am I missing (I'm using Photoshop).
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karl H. Pohl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar. 2007 at 6:13pm
Gale,

Send me the jpg image that you want to load into your avatar as an email attachment to my email address address and I'll fix it and send it back to you.

Karl

karlpohl@granite.mb.ca

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karl H. Pohl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2007 at 12:17am

Gale,

I have resized your proposed avatar picture to 79 x 59 pixels with Microsoft Picture Editor so that it will be compatible with the CJ2A forum avatar parameters.

What you need to do is edit your CJ2A profile, select the avatar option and then upload the file from your desktop into your profile avatar. Do not resize it again and do not upload it into Image Shack because it will resize it and it will make it bigger. The Image Shack is fine for posting pictures and slide show links on your CJ2A forums but for some reason will not post avatars into the CJ2A profile. Some computers like RocknRolls computer and others may be able to do this some other way, but I notice that a number of our CJ2A Page members are unable to post an avatar. I couldn’t do it either until my son showed me how to do it the easy way on my Windows XP operating system. 79x59 makes a nice avatar. I hope this works for you and all those guys that have difficulties posting an avatar.

Karl  

bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2007 at 2:16am
Thanks Karl,
    Still have to think about why that didn't work for me, I was using Adobe Photoshop but couldn't get it small enough, I'll have to break down and ask my son the next time he visits. Thanks again
Gale
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2007 at 5:42am
Karl, my system also uses WindowsXP so I don't know what differences you are having. All I know is I can pick any of my pictures I have stored in Imageshack, click on the Direct Link below the picture and cut and paste that url into the Avatar box on the personal info page and it's done......Ta!Da!
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karl H. Pohl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2007 at 7:19am
Not all makes of photo editing software and cameras are the same. Microsoft Picture Editor should work for all those members that have a hard time uploading and posting an avatar picture into their profile. 
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2007 at 7:50am
You know, I haven't tried cut and paste, I used the "upload file" link on the personal file page, maybe that gets past the difficulty I've been having, have to geve it a try tonight after work.
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Rob H. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2007 at 9:39am
Thanks Roc, it did work with imageshack. I wasn't using the direct link.Thumbs%20Up
Rob H.

1948 CJ2A
bits and pieces of three 3A's
1967-72 Chevy C/10 kinda combined them LOL

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2007 at 9:53am
You're welcome Rob...Thumbs%20Up
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2007 at 11:44am
Gale:
Quote I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, I've shrunk a photo to 50x40 pixels and the upload says it's still too large (maximum 15kb)
There are 2 different "sizes" that you have to shrink.
  1. picture size ( physical dimensions, which you've done at 50x40 pixels)
  2. file size - this is the "compression" applied
In photoshop, it's the "quality" setting.  For a jpeg avatar, try 3 or 4 on the quality bar.

Better yet, if you can choose it, is file type of "png".  Smaller file than jpeg & better quality.

Sean

Edited by sean - 12 Mar. 2007 at 11:45am
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2007 at 5:43pm
Hmm, have to try that, thought I put the quality at the lowest and was still at 23KB. Thanks for the info.
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2007 at 9:47pm
Hmmmm ... is right.

I just checked my avatar.  It's 100 x 100 pixels (larger than it claims for max, 64 x 64), but it's only 10 KB in size.  It's a .png file.

I DID upload it long before this new forum format though, so it may have been grandfathered in.

Sean
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2007 at 11:01pm
I'll have to look around for the .png format, never heard of it (kinda sounds like something you'd hook up to the grille to cook burgersLOL) not surprising though, I don't pay much attention to computer stuff unless I have to. 
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar. 2007 at 12:31am
PNG = Portable Network Graphic

It's a new(er) file format that will eventually replace gif for graphic images, and to some extent, replace jpeg when it has advantages.

It's great for those times when you need varying degrees of transparency.

Sean

sheetzie44 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sheetzie44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2007 at 9:08pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>