Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to run Exhaust? - Dauntless V6

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to run Exhaust? - Dauntless V6
    Posted: 02 Apr. 2018 at 5:48pm
I am getting ready to redo the exhaust on my '2A with Dauntless engine,  and am curious how others have routed theirs?  What do you like/dislike about the install?

When I first put exhaust on mine,  25+ years ago,  I was able to purchase the stock head pipe for a '60's CJ-5.  It was hanging low under the front driveshaft,  so I cut it, and rewelded up a little higher.

Over the years,  rocks have tucked it up even higher.  LOL

The pipe is collapsed quite a bit under the driveshaft Ouch,   that has to be hurting higher rpm power.

In stock form,  the passenger pipe runs between the oil pan,  and the bellhousing.   I am thinking of maybe routing between the bellhousing and tranny instead.  That way,  maybe could get some protection from a skidplate extension.   I am a little concerned with heat though. 

I am leaning towards keeping the basic stock route,  with driver manifold pointing forward,  and joining into single pipe at a Y somewhere,  then continuing out to rear driver,  behind the tire. 
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2018 at 8:44pm
Yeah I agree.
Make two head pipes that will go into a crossover / convergent  pipe.
The right side will cross to left in between bellhousing and transmission.
Not a lot of room but could fit well if you hand fab some tight bends into the crossover pipe.
The exhaust pipe muffler and tailpipes would all be near identical form to the standard 2A exhaust.

I know you already got a separate  oil pan skid plate.
Otherwise a person could  make a single long  skid plate to protect all including the oil pan.
Flat belly skid plate could cover everything from oil pan to transfer case.

Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Post Reply Post Reply