Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hub Lok hubs need help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob3417 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hub Lok hubs need help
    Posted: 26 Oct. 2017 at 6:09pm
I purchased a set of Hub Lok lockout hubs. Can not seem to find any info. I need at least one part to complete them. Any one ever seen these before? And will they work on a cj2a? Thanks, Bob
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct. 2017 at 7:45pm
Hub/Lok was a registered trademark of Dana/Spicer for their brand of locking hubs. The last cataloging I have for them is dated 1965 and that particular model was out of production by the late 60's.

There were two styles, External, like yours and internal, which fit Chevy, GMC and Ford 1/2 ton models and some 3/4 ton Fords with D44 front axles . The external design fit Jeep and IHC Scout and a slightly larger version fit some heavy duty Ford, Chevy and IHC 3/4 ton trucks with the D44-HDF model axle.

Parts for the early design Hub/Lok have been out of production since the early 70's They were hard to come by in the late 70's and almost impossible to find in the 80's.

Some parts for the external and internal versions were interchangeable and parts that fit one brand of truck would often be identical to others. For example, many of the parts that were on a IHC Scout would fit the Jeep. IHC used Warn as original equipment for most years so there probably aren't many of them equipped with a Hub/Lok design. Ditto for Jeep, mostly Warn hubs.

Hub/Lok was Dana/Spicer's answer to the aftermarket for a locking hub and while it was a reasonably strong design, they were never very popular in the parts aftermarket because distribution was limited to Dana/Spicer parts warehouses. Dana/Spicer continued into the 90's with Hub/Lok marketing through their warehouse distributors, but the designs that came out in the early 70's were somewhat different than the older design. Some parts carried over and others didn't. Hub/Lok was OEM on some Chevys, GMC, and Ford in the 70's, but very little of that would fit Jeep except for the J-series trucks.

Good luck on finding the parts you need. Posting on here with a picture was a good idea because I would almost bet that there is someone out there on the forum that has a pair rat-holed back that they aren't interested in using.

The part in your hand is the outer portion of the Hub/Lok. There is another piece that bolts behind the outer portion that has internal splines. Without that piece, it won't fit the hub on your Jeep.

Hope this helped, and good luck in your search.

Edited by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A - 26 Oct. 2017 at 7:47pm
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct. 2017 at 1:49am
I've never seen a Hub Lok before.  Great information SE Kansas.  Thanks for posting.
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct. 2017 at 1:56am
Originally posted by athawk11 athawk11 wrote:

I've never seen a Hub Lok before.  Great information SE Kansas.  Thanks for posting.

X2! Thumbs Up   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct. 2017 at 2:31am
Originally posted by athawk11 athawk11 wrote:

Well, I'm not much on engine, fuel, ignition, or wiring problems, but I'm a fair hand at all makes of axles, manual transmissions, transfer cases and driveshafts as the owner of a 4x4 driveline shop for 18 years.

I still have some of the old Dana/Spicer cataloging that dates back to the early very late 40's and early 50's. Not that many of the part numbers are still active. Some how or another I lost my Dana transfer case catalogs in a move about 20 years ago. They were illustrated with really good diagrams and the call outs for each part gave diameters, tooth counts, and gear stamping number identification help. I kick myself for losing that one catalog.

46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

bob3417 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob3417 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct. 2017 at 2:32am
Thank you very much for your response. That was very helpful. One hub appears to be complete. I just got them the other day and haven't had a chance to get in the barn yet to see if they would fit. The second one is missing the center selector dial. Without it, doesn't do a lot of good. 
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct. 2017 at 2:59am
That selector dial is one of the parts that common to all external type hubs regardless of make of truck it was installed on. That would include late 50's and 60's models of 3/4 ton Chevy, Ford, Dodge, and International as well as Scout and all Jeep equipment that used the external style Hub/Lok.

Again, that is only the knob that is the same. most of the other parts would be different between a CJ and the 3/4 ton equipment. The problem being that the only time that the Hub/Lok was used as original equipment was on early 3/4 ton Chevy and GMC. It was a design that had mostly very limited aftermarket use because of the way Dana/Spicer chose to distribute it.

If you are going to find the knob, it would most likely be in someone's old 4x4 truck salvage and I would imagine that old 4x4 truck salvage yards are few and far between.

The last Dana/Spicer part number I have for the knob you are looking for is 33684. You could try Dana/Spicer Warehouse distributors that are located in most major cities, but I wouldn't hold out much hope finding what you are looking for. I would imagine that inventory that old has been either sold or purged from the inventory they carry.

If anyone happened to scrape the hub along side something like a rock the knob was the piece that got broke.

Edited by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A - 27 Oct. 2017 at 3:03am

bob3417 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob3417 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct. 2017 at 3:03am
well I think before I spend too much time searching for that knob, I will see if they would even go on the jeep. If not, I will be seeing about trading them out for ones that will. Thanks again!! You have helped a lot! Bob
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct. 2017 at 3:32am
I'm not sure this downloaded properly, but if you click on the links you should be able to see the March 1965 version of the Dana/Spicer Hub/Lok catalog.

hublok_page_1_2017-10-27_03-29-54.pdf

hublok_page_2_2017-10-27_03-30-48.pdf

Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov. 2017 at 3:21am
Thanks for the info SE Kansas. 
I have a set on my 1955 willys wagon. 
 Post Reply Post Reply